Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installation Scheduling Woes

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

Exactly! Now explain why they would schedule a tech to do an install if they don't know whether or not he has the right equipment to complete it!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:46 PM

Well it sounds like they scheduled the tech based on the wrong work order, so they thought he did have the stuff..  I just want to know if the op ever got it working.  :)

#23 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:28 AM

Techs don't stop at a warehouse in the morning, get a list of all of their jobs for the day and load their trucks accordingly (at least, not on Long Island they don't).  Installers are supposed to have all of the equipment that they could need on their trucks, regardless of what job they are assigned.

The tech starts his day at home, with his truck.  He gets assigned a job and drives from his home to that job.  When he's done with that first job, he gets assigned the next available job in his area.  The assumption is that the tech will have the equipment on his truck.

Months ago when Peds posted that techs don't know their jobs until they finish each one, I made it a point to ask my techs (3) how they do it here. They all said they know their jobs at the beginning of the day. It usually changes, but they know before they start, what jobs they are initially assigned. And another installer on this site confirmed that he too was given his jobs before he started (IIRC, he said he checked his jobs on line and if he had everything he needed, he could sleep in a bit longer because he didn't have to go to the warehouse first).

But you also said they are supposed to have everything on their trucks. If that is the basic premise DirecTV works on, it is obviously flawed. Especially when there is new equipment that might not be fully stocked.

A DirecTV CSR wrote the order.  How the hell would he/she know what a tech, who won't be assigned a job until immediately before he's supposed to go to that job, has on hs truck?

As you said above, because they are supposed to have everything on their trucks. ;)

#24 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Months ago when Peds posted that techs don't know their jobs until they finish each one, I made it a point to ask my techs (3) how they do it here. They all said they know their jobs at the beginning of the day. It usually changes, but they know before they start, what jobs they are initially assigned. And another installer on this site confirmed that he too was given his jobs before he started (IIRC, he said he checked his jobs on line and if he had everything he needed, he could sleep in a bit longer because he didn't have to go to the warehouse first).

But you also said they are supposed to have everything on their trucks. If that is the basic premise DirecTV works on, it is obviously flawed. Especially when there is new equipment that might not be fully stocked.

As you said above, because they are supposed to have everything on their trucks. ;)

Make sure you also ask them if they are "sub partners" or in house (O&O and HSP) it still work the same for sub partners, but since they have a smaller "pool" of jobs, the principal can "pin" jobs to his techs which won't change, but this leads to another set of issues...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#25 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:08 AM

Yes.  But at peds48 pointed out earlier, since this is new technology that many techs haven't been trained in yet (which would mean that these techs shouldn't have them on their truck yet), and because supply is short, some techs who are trained aren't able to get them onto their truck.

It really comes down to the person who is actually dispatching the installations to verify that he's assigning a job to a tech who is appropriately trained for a job using new technology and that the tech has the necessary equipment assigning a job to a particular tech.

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

Make sure you also ask them if they are "sub partners" or in house (O&O and HSP) it still work the same for sub partners, but since they have a smaller "pool" of jobs, the principal can "pin" jobs to his techs which won't change, but this leads to another set of issues...

in recent years, I've had nothing but Mastec installers. I have no idea which category they fit into. And I hope not to see them for a very long time. :)

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

in recent years, I've had nothing but Mastec installers. I have no idea which category they fit into. And I hope not to see them for a very long time. :)

MasTec is an HSP

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,291 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Make sure you also ask them if they are "sub partners" or in house (O&O and HSP) 

peds48 if the D* installers in your area are listed on this page (listed as Home Services above city/town name) are those considered O&O or HSP? 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#29 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

peds48 if the D* installers in your area are listed on this page (listed as Home Services above city/town name) are those considered O&O or HSP? 

Your link takes me to a page to "enter my location" at the bottom.  butI have seen that page before and it list dealers for the most part.  Dealers usually rely on the DirecTV installation network which may be O&O or HSP depending on the market.  Some dealers do have they own installers.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#30 OFFLINE   cdplayer

cdplayer

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • Locationfl

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

I work for mastec in fl and the way it works now is there is a program that gives out the jobs to the techs based on a bunch of information so you never know what jobs your gonna have for the day or what equipment you will need for that day because it constantly changes. For instance i could be hung up on a job for a longer time than i was suppose to be there for and my next job could be moved to another tech and vice versa. Also if i finish a job earlier i might get another job that i wasn't originally suppose to have.  Basically us as techs have to estimate and order enough equipment to last throughout the week and there is no way to know for sure what equipment we will need... Also in my office only a couple of guys are trained for the wireless clients because of the lack of demand and im not sure if directv and that scheduling program take that in to account when the jobs are routed by the system.

#31 OFFLINE   satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCleveland

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

A DirecTV CSR wrote the order.  How the hell would he/she know what a tech, who won't be assigned a job until immediately before he's supposed to go to that job, has on hs truck?

There's the problem right there....... The whole scheduling system is stuipd.   Not knowing what job(s) you have next until you are done with your last one is the dumbest system Directv came up with.      If you know your entire route at least a day before hand you could at least avoid these types of foul ups.    It would give the tech a chance to double check to make sure he/she had all the equip on the orders for the day at the very least.  

SIG

#32 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

Actually the system works very well... When the proper information is put into. All techs have a skill set assigned to them in the system and they will only get jobs based on the skill set assigned to them. If the tech doesn't have the equipment to do the job then he will get it from someone close by or a supervisor will bring it to them. Since the system was implemented there have been a lot less missed time frames, less driving for techs, and less gas being bought. There are still some flaws but for the most part everyone wins with this new system.

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

Actually the system works very well... When the proper information is put into. All techs have a skill set assigned to them in the system and they will only get jobs based on the skill set assigned to them. If the tech doesn't have the equipment to do the job then he will get it from someone close by or a supervisor will bring it to them. Since the system was implemented there have been a lot less missed time frames, less driving for techs, and less gas being bought. There are still some flaws but for the most part everyone wins with this new system.

Who are you kidding?????? 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

Who are you kidding?????? 

Not kidding anyone. On average for O&O markets its proven that since dynamic dispatch the number of OTG's have went down, techs are driving less, and money spent on gas has declined. You work for Mastec so your experience may be different.

#35 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:22 PM

Clearly that's not what happened to the TS. Three times.

#36 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:32 PM

Very curious to know where the TS lives and if it is an O&O market or HSP market.

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:49 PM

Exactly my point, regardless of HSP or O&O

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,419 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

Not kidding anyone. On average for O&O markets its proven that since dynamic dispatch the number of OTG's have went down

You are right, ITG has went down, but I guess you have not been in a customer house at 8AM or 12PM when they get an automated call from DirecTV saying that there is no reason to call, that a tech will call as soon as they are on they way.  Funny how they could not have implemented this where folks were getting back charged when this were on their hands.  now that is on DirecTV hands, all of a sudden is possible to auto call customers to prevent WMTs.  you are clearly drinking the Kool-Aid if you think this system works.  

As far as driving, well I drive more today than ever before.  If I was paid like a cabbie, I would be a millionaire!  and this is not from me, but from techs around the country saying the same thing

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#39 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,947 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

in recent years, I've had nothing but Mastec installers. I have no idea which category they fit into.

Might I suggest the category "transients"?

There's a running joke in my area about the job title of someone who has worked for MasTec for more than two weeks being "Supervisor".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...