Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wireless CCK causing wifi interference

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

About a month ago, I installed a wireless CCK to replace my powerline connection that had died, with the help of the info in this post.  http://www.dbstalk.c...tall-cck/page-2

Since installing the CCK, we have had frequent wifi problems with other computers in the house.  Connections have become unreliable, with lags and complete dropouts.  The worst one is the PC that is located furthest from the router, and the CCK is closer to the router than that PC.  Since this is the only thing that has changed on the network, I'm assuming that the CCK is somehow interfering with the other connections.

I'm not terribly savvy on wifi networking.  We have an ASUS RT-N66U (dual band) router.  I have gone into the router software, but don't really see anything that would explain the problem.  I do not know if there is a way to see which clients are connecting to which band, but I assume most are connecting to the 5GHz band.

Is there something easy I can do to try to troubleshoot this?  Or should I try the wired route with the CCK?  At the router location, I have an R16.  Someone mentioned on my earlier thread that I could connect the R16 to the CCK using a splitter and a band stop filter, and hard-wire the CCK to the router. Is that correct, and where can I get the splitter and BSF?  And what exactly would the setup look like?  (What is the diagram of the connections?)  Does the CCK connect to the router via Ethernet?  Where does the splitter go?  Where does the band stop filter go?  Will any of this adversely affect my HR20-700, which has a DECA connected to it?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Is this how the connection would look?

Wall  --> splitter

splitter1 --> CCK coax in

splitter2 --> band stop filter --> R16 Sat1

CCK Ethernet --> router

If correct, would my HR20 connection still work ok?

Or am I way off?

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:08 PM

that looks good.

Once configured you can log into the WCCK and disable the WiFi.

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

that looks good.

Once configured you can log into the WCCK and disable the WiFi.

Where/how do I do that?

And can you confirm that nothing needs to change on my HR20?  Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:40 PM

If your HR20 is currently working, changing the CCK to wired from WiFi isn't going to change it.

To log into the CCK, you'll need to look at the router to find the IP address of the CCK.

Typing it into your browser should bring up the CCK gui asking for user and password which are admin

A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

What is the correct splitter to buy, and where can I get both that and the band stop filter?  Thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,394 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Consider that your Wi-fi having problems can be due to many reasons; many of which may lie outside your home. If there's someone a block away that is fading in and out of sharing a frequency with your router, this can cause issues. If someone has added a cordless phone or wireless bridge in the area, this can cause a panic for available frequencies.

Most devices use the 2.4GHz band unless you configure them otherwise. Home automation systems, some RC "toys" and Bluetooth also use the 2.4GHz band. Even the RC71 remote control resides in that band.

You might try turning off one band or the other to see if you can escape the contentious frequency.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

What is the correct splitter to buy, and where can I get both that and the band stop filter?  Thanks.

If this is a wireless CCK, it has an output with a termination on it, so you can use its internal splitter to feed your R16 by connection it to the "chained" connector.

otherwise http://www.solidsign...IT2MRV&ss=87886

and the filter http://www.solidsign...BSFR01&ss=87890

A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

Consider that your Wi-fi having problems can be due to many reasons; many of which may lie outside your home. If there's someone a block away that is fading in and out of sharing a frequency with your router, this can cause issues. If someone has added a cordless phone or wireless bridge in the area, this can cause a panic for available frequencies.

Most devices use the 2.4GHz band unless you configure them otherwise. Home automation systems, some RC "toys" and Bluetooth also use the 2.4GHz band. Even the RC71 remote control resides in that band.

You might try turning off one band or the other to see if you can escape the contentious frequency.

Once the CCK is off the WiFi, should the problem continue, these steps would make sense.

A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

I finally had time to switch the CCK to a wired connection over the weekend.  It was very easy, and thanks to VOS, I knew that I had to disable the Wi-Fi on the CCK.  Everything is working great in terms of the Whole Home network and internet connectivity there.

Unfortunately, this did not solve my wireless problems with my other wireless devices on the network.  I'm still having daily dropouts of internet access on two of my laptops.  The laptop that I'm writing this on now is five feet away from the router, and is dropping bars constantly, or dropping the connection altogether.  The only remedy is to wait a few minutes for the connection to re-establish itself.

I have no idea if someone in my neighborhood has added something that is causing this.  The only recent changes within our house was the wireless CCK, and a new firmware update on the router.  Further, I have determined that even though my laptop's wireless card is supposed to be able to connect to the 5GHz band, it does not see it.  I did some research on this, and found that it is a problem with others who have my same Dell laptop and wireless card.  I changed the SSID on the 5GHz band, and my iPhone and iPad immediately were able to see both bands' SSIDs, but my laptop does not.  So I can't turn off the 2.4GHz band, since it is the only one that will work for me with this machine.  This also confirms for me that the problem is on the 2.4GHz band.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can try to fix this?  Again, I'm not Wi-Fi savvy, so I'm afraid to change anything in the router setup without advice.  I don't want to make things worse.  Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,235 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

You don't mention your router type, but it could be a heat problem causing the wifi to drop connections and re-connect.  Reposition it away from any heat sources or put a fan on it.

You might also try going into the router GUI and setting the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands to channels away from the defaults.  It's likely any neighbors are on the defaults.

The laptop may be an N wifi on the 2.4 band, not 5ghz.  I had a Dell Inspiron that I changed the board to a 5Ghz, but now using a ASUS that has N protocol only on 2.4.

You could also get a 5GHz N band USB client for the laptop.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:04 PM

You don't mention your router type, but it could be a heat problem causing the wifi to drop connections and re-connect.  Reposition it away from any heat sources or put a fan on it.

You might also try going into the router GUI and setting the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands to channels away from the defaults.  It's likely any neighbors are on the defaults.

The laptop may be an N wifi on the 2.4 band, not 5ghz.  I had a Dell Inspiron that I changed the board to a 5Ghz, but now using a ASUS that has N protocol only on 2.4.

You could also get a 5GHz N band USB client for the laptop.

Sorry, my router is an ASUS RT-N66U.  I don't think heat is an issue, it sits up on a desk riser with airflow all around.  It does feel a bit warm, but not unusually so.  I've been using this router for a few years, but only started having dropouts in the past 5-6 weeks.

I just checked the router software, and the Control Channel drop-down is set to Auto, and has ability to select 1-11.  Any suggestions on which channel to select?  Is it worth it to download inSSIDer for 19.99?  I see that this isn't free anymore, and I've never used it, but I have heard of it before as a good tool.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron with an Intel Wireless-N 1030 network card (Win7 OS).  It is supposed to work on 5GHz, but it doesn't, it only sees my 2.4GHz band.  I thought about getting a 5GHz USB stick for the laptop, but we're having a similar problem with another laptop, so I was hoping to just solve the problem.  Other laptop is a much newer HP running Win8.  I haven't gone onto that laptop since I changed the SSID on the 5GHz band to see if it sees the SSID.  It is my husband's laptop, and I despise Win8 so much that I dread the thought of doing any troubleshooting on it.  His laptop is two rooms away from the router, and has many more dropouts than mine does, so I guess I need to check his out. 

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

I just checked the router software, and the Control Channel drop-down is set to Auto, and has ability to select 1-11.  Any suggestions on which channel to select?  Is it worth it to download inSSIDer for 19.99?  I see that this isn't free anymore, and I've never used it, but I have heard of it before as a good tool.

Do you have any Android devices in your home?  If so, Wifi Analyzer is a really good free tool that you can try.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,653 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Seems you can still find the older version for free: http://inssider.soft...CFeMF7AodiBAABg

A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,235 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Reading the PDF of a googled 'Intel Wireless-N 1030' . . . they do a great job of NOT telling you what bands are covered.

My bet is it's only 2.4, especially if it didn't recognize the 5 after renaming the SSID.

And your question about channels. . . just get as far left or right of the default channels.  Most of your neighbor's are going to be on the default channel.

Edit:  I did find in some forum that the 1030 is only 2.4 Ghz.  I'm sure that's the chip I have in this Asus laptop.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Seems you can still find the older version for free: http://inssider.soft...CFeMF7AodiBAABg

Thank you for the link!  I downloaded inSSIDer, and I think I may have found the culprit.  There is a wireless printer, HP Officejet 8600, showing up on the same channel as my router, channel 6.  I have seen this pop up on my available networks over the past few weeks, it only shows up with one bar and isn't always listed.  It must be a neighbor's printer.  I have only noticed it there recently, within the same time period as when our problems began.  I see two other networks on channel 1, and three on channel 2. 

So what channel should I select for my 2.4GHz band, can I go up to the high end, say 8 or 9?  Or should I go all the way up to 11?  Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:07 PM

So what channel should I select for my 2.4GHz band, can I go up to the high end, say 8 or 9?  Or should I go all the way up to 11?  Thanks.

Typically, people will recommend 1 or 11.  Since there are two others already on 1, I'd go to 11 (insert Spinal Tap joke here).

Edited by Bill Broderick, 22 April 2014 - 03:07 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:28 PM

Ok, I changed the 2.4GHz band to channel 11, and my network is now showing up on inSSIDer all by itself on that channel.  We will see how it goes, I hope this solves the problem.  Thanks to all!

spam firewall