Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange C41 behavior with IR

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

I have two C41s.  One only works on IR.  The other works on IR and RF.  Both behave strangely on IR and this has been causing me a problem trying to use IR repeaters.

It turns out, unless the remote is pointed pretty much directly at the C41 and at the same level, the first button press may not turn it on.  The same thing happens going through an IR repeater.  The second press usually works.  It is almost as if the first press wakes it up so it can act on the second press, if that makes any sense.  Has anybody run into this?  Is there a solution?

The unit that only works on IR is in a study and is connected directly to the TV, so multiple presses aren't a critical issue.

The other unit is in a cabinet connected to the TV through a receiver.  I can use the RF remote, but I am attempting to control everything with a Harmony remote because it can turn the receiver off and the RF cannot.  What I find seems to work here is pressing the watch TV button turns everything on except the C41.  Sometimes the C41 does turn on and sometimes it doesn't.  Once the start sequence is complete it goes into a DTV control screen and pressing the list button (which is in the same location as the Watch TV button from the start screen) turns on the C41.  It does not display the list after turning on.  You have to push the list button again to do that.

I haven't tested the unit in the study but with the one in the cabinet, signals from the Harmony Remote are not always acted upon.  I had thought this was a problem with the IR repeater.  Now I am not so sure.

Could both boxes be defective or is this just the way they work?  If so, I should resign myself to using RF and get an RF remote for the study.  I can live with leaving the receiver on or having the C41 on when watching DVDs.  Although, I don't like the idea of having to use two remotes if I want to switch between DTV and DVD.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:03 PM

My guess is that IR interference from some other source in the room is causing this problem.

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

Any ideas?  This is happening in two different rooms at opposite ends of the house and on different floors.  The only thing in common is a Panasonic wireless phone system.  That is more likely to be a WiFi problem.

The base station is in the room with the IR only mini.  A satellite phone is in a room next to the IR/RF mini.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

What I find seems to work here is pressing the watch TV button turns everything on except the C41.  Sometimes the C41 does turn on and sometimes it doesn't.  Once the start sequence is complete it goes into a DTV control screen and pressing the list button (which is in the same location as the Watch TV button from the start screen) turns on the C41.  It does not display the list after turning on.  You have to push the list button again to do that.

Just an idea, I would look into the settings of both the Inter-key & Inter-Device Delay on the Harmony Remote. You will need to use the Logitech Harmony Remote Software (ver 7.7.0 is latest). 

Read through the article for some instructions: http://blog.logitech...he-help-button/

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#5 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I know this is not what you were looking for, but could you program the macro in the Harmony to send POWER ON signals to CR41, receiver, TV and then another to the CR41?

Its not an answer, but it certainly is a solution.

#6 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:25 PM

I seem to have this working with some regularity.  I did three things.  First, I reduced the number of repeats to 0!  Second, I put two emitters (or flashers) on the C41.  Third, I point the remote up, sort of like reading a book.

Each of these seemed to help a bit but all three have solved the problem almost all the time.  However, I'll be damned if I have any idea why!

#7 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

The previous was for the C41 that can use RF or IR.  The solution for the IR only C41 seems to be to make sure the remote can "see" the IR receiver.  I don't know if the remote is weak or doesn't spray enough, but if the C41 is on a raised shelf and the remote is somewhat below the shelf it won't work.  However, if I slide the C41 forward so it is on the edge of the shelf it works. I think I really need to get one of the new RF remotes for this unit.  I don't know why the installer didn't leave one.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

The previous was for the C41 that can use RF or IR.  The solution for the IR only C41 seems to be to make sure the remote can "see" the IR receiver.  

Right, IR depends on "line of sight" of the sensor inside the "receiver"

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Is the one that has the most IR trouble a C41-100 by chance?

#10 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Is the one that has the most IR trouble a C41-100 by chance?

Yes.  Is that significant?

#11 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:40 AM

Yes.  Is that significant?

Because I have 1 C41-100 and 2 C41-700s. The C41-100's IR control with the old or new DirecTV remote is non-existent. The C41-700's is like halfway existent.

Edited by Rtm, 09 April 2014 - 03:40 AM.

#12 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

I am luckier than you.  The C41-100s both work on IR just not as well as the TVs (Panasonic and Samsung) and the Denon DVD and AVR.  I wonder if this is a software or hardware problem.  If software it may be corrected at some point in the future.  In the meantime, it makes me a bit more comfortable with the flakey performance I have been getting.  It looks like it is probably the C41 not the remote.

#13 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:13 AM

I'm only talking strictly C41 to remote. Not other devices. I just leave them in RF but used to use the old directb remote to turn on speakers and such first.

Edited by Rtm, 09 April 2014 - 07:14 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

If I am just watching TV from the C-41 I can use the [new] RF remote to control the volume on the AVR and to turn the TV and C41 on and off (but not the AVR for some reason).  The problem crops up when I want to watch a DVD.  The Harmony remote will let me switch back and forth, turning the appropriate devices on and off.  

#15 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Oh the remote only turns on and off the TV and Genie/Client by design. The RC71 does allow you to control the volume of but not turn on and off an AVR type device.

Edited by Rtm, 09 April 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

That was the point.  If I use the RC71, I can control the AVR volume but that's it.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,280 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

That was the point.  If I use the RC71, I can control the AVR volume but that's it.

and tis is how is designed to work

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...