Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Notice of class action law suit and release of subscribers personal info...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Got this via email. If there is already a thread I didn't find it.

https://dishnetworkm...HllQgLlVaVRVXLX

NOTICE OF PENDENCY OF CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AND COURT-ORDERED DISCLOSURE OF
PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION
PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY AS IT MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS.
THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT FROM YOU AND THIS IS NOT A LAWSUIT AGAINST YOU.

You received this Notice because records indicate you were a customer of DISH Network L.L.C. (“DISH”) who 1) paid for a programming package for all or part of October, 2010 that included Fox Sports Net (“FSN”) programming and/or FX programming; and 2) did not receive a monetary credit equal to the value of such programming, which DISH failed to provide from October 1, 2010 to October 29, 2010. If you meet these criteria, you are a member of the class certified by the Court unless you choose to exclude yourself.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Who does this affect? I don't recall a dispute involving FSN or FX during those dates.  Does this only affect certain package subscribers?  At the time I had Top 250.  If these channels were only pulled from Top 150 I would not have noticed.  I did not receive a notice.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#3 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

what a complete waste of time and money.

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

From 2010:
DISH Network and Fox Networks Reach Comprehensive Programming Agreement
Dish Retrans Dispute with Fox over 50% Hike (Channels Off 10-1-2010)

Lets see ... if DISH loses, the "class" gets 50c, the lawyers get $5 million and DISH raises their rates $14 million. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

I got it too and am eagerly anticipating my $.50 credit on my bill.

#6 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Doesn't it say in everyone's contract that the availability of channels can change without notice?  Has anything like this been tried before to see if that clause can be upheld?  

I believe that if they remove a channel, they should either find an replacement that costs them the same as what they were paying before or give you a discount equal to what they pay per subscriber for the channel.  For example, if DirecTV was paying $1.00 for The Weather Channel and they replaced it with WeatherNation, which costs them $0.50, then they should give you a $0.50 discount for one month or the remainder of your contract (whichever is later).  If they added a channel that costs $0.50+, then they could remove the discount.  

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#7 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

I think the Happy Meal ™ that I got in 1993 didn't contain a prime number of french fries. I need a lawyer.

#8 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

While I agree that it doesn't help us much monetarily, it sends a message to Dish that they really shouldn't stop providing a promised channel without some recourse to its customers.  They're not living up to their end of the deal, whether it's their fault or not.

How about a few bucks off my bill now that the promised STO (Sports Time Ohio) is blacked out?

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

While I agree that it doesn't help us much monetarily, it sends a message to Dish that they really shouldn't stop providing a promised channel without some recourse to its customers.  They're not living up to their end of the deal, whether it's their fault or not.

It does nothing of the sort.  In fact, in the long run they can just raise prices and cover these kinds of fees anyway.

Remember... with a few specific exceptions... you are buying a package of channels that may or may not contain any guaranteed channels or content.  If they dropped half the channels in the package, you'd have a better argument... but a channel here and there is covered right there in the agreement we all make when we sign up for Dish.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

, then they should give you a $0.50 discount for one month or the remainder of your contract (whichever is later).  If they added a channel that costs $0.50+, then they could remove the discount.  

And if it costs them $2 or $3 or more in Administrative costs to issue that miniscule credit?

Suppose it was $3 and they raised your monthly rate by $3 to cover the costs of the $0.50 credit so that your bill went up $2.50?

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

It does nothing of the sort.  In fact, in the long run they can just raise prices and cover these kinds of fees anyway.

Remember... with a few specific exceptions... you are buying a package of channels that may or may not contain any guaranteed channels or content.  If they dropped half the channels in the package, you'd have a better argument... but a channel here and there is covered right there in the agreement we all make when we sign up for Dish.

Not to mention there's a reason why the price changes occur at a set time. Contracts with networks expire at various times during the year. If they adjusted prices as soon as a new contract was in place or to reflect expired contracts the price of the base packages will change from month to month.

I wasn't following Dish then if they did anything, but usually in cases where there was a mass blackout of programming they provide some insentives like opening up channels in higher packages or provide additional programming. (i.e. during DirecTV/Viacom they opened up the Encores, Fuse, TV One and even added Disney Junior)

#12 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

My memory isn't good enough to recall this particular incident but often Dish issues pay-per-view coupons as an apology for service disruption.  Wonder if they might have done that in this case.

#13 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

Maybe so, but it sure is disappointing.  What chance would I have to amend that agreement before signing up?  

I don't like to change providers.  It'a huge pain you know where.  But I would be done with Dish already if I wouldn't lose all my recordings on their hard drives formatted such that the recordings can't be transferred to, for example, a Directv device. It really seems that the best solution is to switch every 2 or 3 years to get intro rates and new equipment.  Fulfill the obligation and switch again.  If you don't mind losing recordings and schedules.

But these p!ssing matches between channels and providers are enough to really consider cutting the cord once and for all.  I tend to blame the channels more.  Seem like a bunch of greedy jerks. But then everyone suffers.

Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#14 OFFLINE   cj9788

cj9788

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:57 PM

I remember this when it happened the FOX suite of channels and FOX owned and operated tv stations disappeared either on or just after the season premier of Sons of Anarchy. I always thought FOX requested the channels to go black but from what I have read Dish pulled the channels. .Had to get my SOA fix using methods we are not allowed to talk about.....

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,759 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

When a contract ends and there is no agreement to continue (even on a temporary basis) it is illegal for a carrier to rebroadcast content they are not paying for. So point the fingers at both parties or neither - there is no agreement. DISH has no choice but to pull channels where there is no agreement. Lest they end up breaking the law.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I think the Happy Meal ™ that I got in 1993 didn't contain a prime number of french fries. I need a lawyer.

!rolling

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...