Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Deliberately crappy camerawork

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

I got rid of cable a year or so ago. Actually, cable got rid of me. I was leaching off someone else's cable subscription and when he dropped cable, I chose not to pay the bill myself. I am lucky to be in overlapping major DMAs, Washington, DC and Baltimore, so I get all the "rerun" subchannels except RTV, if that is what they still are calling it, and I get five different non-profit TV stations including 12 MegaHertz subchannels, so all I'm missing that I might care about is ESPN.

One thing that does bother me, however, is that when I am looking for reruns late at night and early in the morning, a slew of the shows are fairly modern reruns of shows that I never watched first run and that use the annoying, shaky, hand held camera operation. And not only is the panning and reaiming unstable, they use jerky zoom-ins and zoom-outs that occur mid-sentence and are done by camera operators who are so uncoordinated that when they zoom, they jerk the camera off-line and back, and overzoom and then back off.

The first show that I remember trying to watch first run that was shot this way was "The Shield". I never made it through a single episode, even though I was partial to it because I had enjoyed Michael Chickless in The Commish.

What exactly is that kind of ham-fisted camera operating supposed to accomplish? It has to be done on purpose, but what is the purpose? And for that matter, when a camera is crudely zoomed in and jerked off centering for an instant, isn't that lateral jerking fake? I mean, isn't zooming done electronically now, rather than by twisting the lens mount?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,312 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I blame Blair Witch. The handheld jerk camera faking "reality TV" has made it into many show.

The other shot that tends to annoy is the circular track shot where the camera spins around a pair or group of people in conversation. It is another reason not to watch TV.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:50 PM

Nah. It's nypd blue that caused it IMHO.

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,551 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

I think the strangest camerawork I've seen lately is Scandal.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

Another annoying technique is how short the 'shots' are.

Although a favorite movie of mine, Dark City is a particularly bad offender.  As I recall, the average shot length of that movie is under 3 seconds.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:54 AM

I seem to recall that originally being called "MTV-editing", after the quick-cut style that most music videos used in the 1980s.

Some shows know they do this.  In one of the before-a-new-season recaps (Like a version of "our story so far", but for a half hour) of Battlestar Galactica, they were doing a quick-cut synopsis of so-much of what had happened the previous season and, in the rapid-fire voice-over I heard "...where they cut off the edges of of paper for some reason and nobody can hold a camera steady".

#7 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,966 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 03 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Short shots don't annoy me... except when I am evaluating the pictures from a hotel TV headend I am setting up and the channel I am working on is in commercials. Nearly all commercials flash pictures at a rate of about one per second, making it impossible to compare incremental changes when adjusting brightness, color level, sharpness, etc.

What I am talking about here is what appears to be deliberate, amateurish handling of the camera that must have been done for some psychological effect on its audience, like making something seem urgent, or stressful, or natural, but which doesn't have the desired effect on me, as evidenced by the fact that I am impelled to change the channel.

Edited by AntAltMike, 03 April 2014 - 09:35 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,360 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

Another annoying technique is how short the 'shots' are.

Although a favorite movie of mine, Dark City is a particularly bad offender.  

As I recall, the average shot length of that movie is under 3 seconds.

About the average attention span of today's youthful target audience.

As a one-time professional videographer, I have long lamented what

I call  machine-gun camera work. Slice-and-dice editing, short-shots

and flouncy-bouncy hand-held shots get on my last nerve.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,359 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:58 AM

I don't notice the zoomimg problems. The circling around shot does annoy me, though. It was particularly bad on Leverage.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#10 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,465 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Seems as if it's a personal choice, much like filming movies in B&W as Woody Allen is prone to do (I think that statement is true, if not please correct me).

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...