Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Upgrade setting

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartanrob

spartanrob

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 09:20 AM

Is it better to set the 501 to automatically upgrade or ask for permission?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EvanS

EvanS

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 262 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 09:39 AM

I would base this decision on (1) the past history of YOUR particular 501 and (2) your intestinal fortitude.

I personally allow my 501 to take all upgrades. Now I am normally not at hard-core bleeding edge kind of guy but MY 501 has virtually always worked flawlessly. It has been a long time since I have seen any trouble from my unit...so I have not experienced many of the apparently upgrade-induced problems that others have seen. In that respect I say let it rock (although ANY particular update could be the killer)
Even given this though, if I were one to worry about it much I probably would NOT allow immediate upgrades and would let some others test it out first. But the problem with "ask permission" is that if you have a timer that is ready to fire for recording and the 501 pops up a screen aking "accept download?"...your timer may not fire because the 501 seems to need to get a response to IT'S question before it will do anything else.
These are the major issues that I am aware of - so if your 501 has been stable and reliable I would say let it do it's thing. Besides, you'll get forced into it within a couple weeks anyway, it seems.

#3 OFFLINE   Neil Derryberry

Neil Derryberry

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 29 April 2002 - 10:37 AM

I'm with EvanS... I've never had any problems with software upgrades..... as always, YMMV.
Neil Derryberry, WD4NET
neil dot derryberry at gmail dot com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...