Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genie Has Black Screen on Fast Forward

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

We have started getting a black screen on our HR-44 Genie when we fast forward.  It happens in the last few seconds of the FF.  We can then let the FF continue until the picture comes back.  At that point we can back it up to recover everything that happened during the black screen.  This doesn't happen on every FF.  Maybe 20% of the time.

We also get a short black screen of maybe 1/2 second ever once in a while, as well as some occasional pixelization.  It's the black screen on FF that is the most annoying.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,685 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:00 AM

First thing to try is resetting the Genie (red button behind front panel access card door).  See if that helps. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   DeweySat

DeweySat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 172 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:16 AM

Thanks.  So far, so good.

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:32 AM

I've never seen that specific problem, but sometimes, I'll do an RBR, and  I will unplug the TV set too, and just cover my bases and reset both devices.

While it is rare for a TV to need a reboot, it is not unprecedented.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

My HR44 has been doing this for about 6 months.  Not all the time, but about 25% of the time.  I'll hit 3XFF and after a few seconds the screen is black.  I'll hit play and the picture will return.  Makes it hard to judge when to hit play.  I've done multiple resets over the last 6 months, but it always comes back after 1 week or so.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   JcT21

JcT21

Legend

• Registered
  • 265 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:23 PM

ive noticed the black screen too.  happens quite often.  i did the rbr and its stopped for the time being.  however  i also get audio dropouts for about 5-10 seconds when switching between double-play channels, and the rbr still dont fix that one.   i got the genie hr44 and two clients.

Xtra + HD Extra Pack
SiriusXM subscriber

#7 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

my hr23 700 se does it sometimes to

Protected By... spam firewall...And...