Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RC-71 RF with TV?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BeauElliot

BeauElliot

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

I have a Vizio TV and it supports RF remotes.   I'd love to get my DirecTV remote to connect to my TV via RF instead of IR (thus, not having to point the remote directly at the corner of the TV to handle the volume). I've tried numerous codes and it seems only IR works...any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

The RF in the RC71 is only for DirecTV units and will not work on your TV.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

If only manufacturers adopted the open RF4CE standard this could be possible 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

If only manufacturers adopted the open RF4CE standard this could be possible

I get the feeling that this is going to be an ongoing let-down. The company making the chips announces new chips all the time but nobody seems to be buying.

The RC71 is arguably one of the poorest STB remotes out there in terms of controlling third party devices. I think DIRECTV needs to put a JATO on an RC71 replacement with device support comparable to the RC65.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

The RC71 is arguably one of the poorest STB remotes out there in terms of controlling third party devices. I think DIRECTV needs to put a JATO on an RC71 replacement with device support comparable to the RC65.

folks must realize that this is a free basic universal remote.  DirecTV can be giving out "harmony" remotes to all the customers.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:25 PM

It does what it was designed to do. Very well, IMHO, TV off/on, volume, and control the Genie System. It's amazing.

To bad you don't have one, so you can form a real opinion!
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Won't affect too many folks out in 'TV land' but I have noticed when using my kitchen TV mirrored off the HR44 in the living room when I use my second RC71 to turn the kitchen TV off it also shuts off the HR44 back in the living room. I've annoyed family members watching in the living room accidentally a few times, or if I go to another mirrored set, channel 60 is blank and I have to think about what's going on.

Not a major fault, and with the better RF range, I still like the remote.  I just think DirecTV might have went a tad too far in deleting features. 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

EXACTLY!!!!

how folks can form an opinion about something without ACTUALLY having the "product" is beyond me.  Perhaps he can comment how good the DN remotes are!

Right on!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

EXACTLY!!!!

how folks can form an opinion about something without ACTUALLY having the "product" is beyond me.  Perhaps he can comment how good the DN remotes are!

Right on!

Given the amount of time he spends on DirecTV threads he's probably forgotten how to use a DN remote.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

It does what it was designed to do. Very well, IMHO, TV off/on, volume, and control the Genie System. It's amazing.

I liked the 71 enough that when I saw them on Amazon for $5.00, I ordered a 2nd one (as a backup and also put it in the basement if I ever run a 2nd HDMI cable down there from a splitter). I like how it fits my hands and very much like the sping loaded channel and volume control tabs. The only thing I don't like is no stop button. It is inconvenient, to say the least. I still like the remote enough that I use it all the time.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

folks must realize that this is a free basic universal remote.  DirecTV can be giving out "harmony" remotes to all the customers.

Apologists must recognize that the RC71 isn't nearly as flexible as the DIRECTV "free basic universal remote" of the last many years (RC6x series). Most of the standard STB remotes of today are significantly more capable, not less so the RC71 is neither up to DIRECTV's standard nor that of its competitors that DIRECTV fancies they provide a superior experience over.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Apologists must recognize that the RC71 isn't nearly as flexible as the DIRECTV "free basic universal remote" of the last many years (RC6x series). Most of the standard STB remotes of today are significantly more capable, not less so the RC71 is neither up to DIRECTV's standard nor that of its competitors that DIRECTV fancies they provide a superior experience over.

but how can you tell if you don't have one. Going by someone else's experience does not count as personal experience

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:48 AM

but how can you tell if you don't have one. Going by someone else's experience does not count as personal experience

Do you use an RC71 as part of your daily home viewing experience?

I submit that you don't need to "experience" something to gain insight into what it can or cannot do.

Experience goes to the next step of determining how well something does what it does and that may only apply to the one who experienced it.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Do you use an RC71 as part of your daily home viewing experience?

I

absolutely! two of them matter fact. and as such I can speak from personal experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

I submit that you don't need to "experience" something to gain insight into what it can or cannot do.

Submission refused....

You commenting on how well or not an RC71 works would be like me commenting on how well a Ferrari drives.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

Submission refused....

You commenting on how well or not an RC71 works would be like me commenting on how well a Ferrari drives.

:bowdown:

'nough said!

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

Submission refused....

I'm not commenting on how well it works. I'm commenting uniquely on what it cannot do.

I wouldn't besmirch you for suggesting that a Ferrari would make for a poor towing vehicle or soccer mom transport. You don't have to own, lease or even to have driven one one to figure that out.

A remote that drives a device that features PIP should have at least one PIP button; not a sequence of eight button presses to turn it on and nine to turn it off. A DVR remote should have a stop button. A modern television viewing device should have a previous channel button and not force you into a menu to jump about. The RC71 features none of these and goes so far as requiring you to navigate a menu that you access with a nondescript button that isn't always a menu button. Most importantly, it should be no less of a universal remote than its predecessors.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

. A modern television viewing device should have a previous channel button

see, this is where you should quit if you don't know what you are talking about. The RC71 DOES have a previous button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • MysteryMan likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

I'm not commenting on how well it works. I'm commenting uniquely on what it cannot do.

I wouldn't besmirch you for suggesting that a Ferrari would make for a poor towing vehicle or soccer mom transport. You don't have to own, lease or even to have driven one one to figure that out.

A remote that drives a device that features PIP should have at least one PIP button; not a sequence of eight button presses to turn it on and nine to turn it off. A DVR remote should have a stop button. A modern television viewing device should have a previous channel button and not force you into a menu to jump about. The RC71 features none of these and goes so far as requiring you to navigate a menu that you access with a nondescript button that isn't always a menu button. Most importantly, it should be no less of a universal remote than its predecessors.

You are commenting on how well it works and really far off from being accurate as to what it cannot do.  As pointed out previously it DOES have a previous channel button and the "Menu" button is ALWAYS the menu button.  Just go back to the Dish forums...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...