Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home question.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

I'm not able to watch in one room, pause, and start watching in another room.

HR44-200 located in living room.

HR24-100 located in bedroom.

From the living room, I can see and play anything located on either DVR.  From the bedroom, I cans see and play anything located on either DVR.  I can also delete anything on either DVR from either location.  So far so good.

If I start watching a recorded program in the living room, hit pause, and go into the bedroom, call up the list, select that same show that I was just watching, hit resume, shouldn't it start playing right where I left off?  It doesn't.  It starts at the beginning.  Am I missing something?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:02 PM

Am I missing something?

Use Stop instead of pause and it works.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:33 PM

Or exit if he's on the genie. It power it off. Just has to stop playback in some way.

#4 OFFLINE   djwww98

djwww98

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

I messed with it for awhile but didn't try that.  Figured it could be just some small thing I was missing.  Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

I messed with it for awhile but didn't try that.  Figured it could be just some small thing I was missing.  Thanks.

When you go to the other room go to list and select the program and then select "Resume".

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

When you go to the other room go to list and select the program and then select "Resume".

the TS did that, but PAUSE does not insert bookmark as EXIT or STOP does.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

And sorry if the TS was perhaps thrown off by information popularized by the old DIRECTV Whole Home commercial aired awhile ago which caused the mistaken impression among many that "pause and resume" from different locations was possible with WH instead of the correct "stop and resume."  :nono:

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

And sorry if the TS was perhaps thrown off by information popularized by the old DIRECTV Whole Home commercial aired awhile ago which caused the mistaken impression among many that "pause and resume" from different locations was possible with WH instead of the correct "stop and resume."  :nono:

Lots of commercials give the wrong impression. Except maybe that it really is possible to tow a space shuttle with a pickup.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:00 PM

Well they actually did tow the shuttle. But that wasn't as hard as it sounds really. For that particular situation anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:18 PM

I don't know why they did that in the commercial.  I think that the way that it was implemented was the correct way.  IMO, Stop makes much more sense than Pause.  To me, when a program is paused in a given room, it implies that someone is going to continue watching it in that same room.  But, when the program is stopped, that implies that the person has finished watching the program (either in that room or completely).

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Did the commercial use the words "hit the pause button in one room" or similar? Hitting stop, leaving the channel, turning the set off, all effectively pause the program- i.e.. it's marked where you left it. 

Anyway, it was long ago, no? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Did the commercial use the words "hit the pause button in one room" or similar? Hitting stop, leaving the channel, turning the set off, all effectively pause the program- i.e.. it's marked where you left it. 

Anyway, it was long ago, no? 

The commercial said " you can pause the show and continue on another room"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

I don't know why they did that in the commercial.  I think that the way that it was implemented was the correct way. 

I don't think DirecTV had another way to do it.

A DVR can only stream one show, and at the time the common customer setup was "a DVR" and receivers, so if you're using a receiver and want to move to another room [with a receiver] you must "stop" so the DVR's one stream can be used in the next room.

For consistency, the DVR should work the same way.

The commercial "could have been" worded better, but it did get the idea across, which was its point.  

A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

Indeed it did. Just because you can't use the Pause button to do so seems a tiny point but one that does seem to rankle some.

#15 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

...and it does sound a bit counter-intuitive to say, "You can pause the show in one room and pick right back up in the next room by hitting the stop button""

There really wasn't an elegant way to state it, other than the way they did, and as VOS noted, not another way to implement it, either.

The problem has always been the word "Pause", because it is button, and a concept, and in this case, they don't correlate very well.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#16 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Indeed it did. Just because you can't use the Pause button to do so seems a tiny point but one that does seem to rankle some.

I don't know if it bothers many people.  But it definitely confuses some people when they are new to the service.  This certainly isn't the first thread in which the same question has been asked.

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

I don't know if it bothers many people.  But it definitely confuses some people when they are new to the service.  This certainly isn't the first thread in which the same question has been asked.

Agree with you, Bill. The question is a good one.  It's only a very few who want to make an issue over the wording or call foul on misleading advertising.

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Agree with you, Bill. The question is a good one.  It's only a very few who want to make an issue over the wording or call foul on misleading advertising.

+1

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 311 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

...and it does sound a bit counter-intuitive to say, "You can pause the show in one room and pick right back up in the next room by hitting the stop button""

There really wasn't an elegant way to state it, other than the way they did, and as VOS noted, not another way to implement it, either.

The problem has always been the word "Pause", because it is button, and a concept, and in this case, they don't correlate very well.

"You can stop watching a recording in one room, and resume watching in another."  Sounds elegant enough to me. 

Then again, I've never had an issue with understanding how it all worked properly until I added a Genie into the mix.  Every so often I "stop" watching a show on the Genie (by pausing on the new remote and exiting to live TV) and when I use the previous button, the show starts at the beginning again.  But, never really an issue since I can find where I left off pretty quickly. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:06 AM

. But, never really an issue since I can find where I left off pretty quickly.

leave this to "us" the pros who don't get tangled up in word games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...