Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When was the last time you played a CD in your car?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

When was the last time you played a physical CD in your car?

Note... this is NOT "a CD that I ripped and play back on my audio player". I'm talking about an actual physical CD that you take to your car and played.

For me, it was last September on my Chevy Malibu. I was going on a week-long road trip, and purchased some audiobooks on CD. I tried my CD player which I hadn't used in quite a while, and the player jammed up. The cost to fix the player was going to be $300, verses the $100 I spent to put in a FM modulator and play it back through a portable device.

Now, I did purchase a new car last week, and I did test out the CD player just to make sure it works. But, I was more interested in the Bluetooth connection and the auxiliary audio input in the car than the actual CD player.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,648 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

Every time I drive it  There's a 6 disc changer in the trunk that's on whenever the car is running.

Every once in a while I change the discs in it.  I buy the physical discs from Amazon and get the AutoRip digital versions free.

The other car doesn't have one, only an AM/FM Cassette, but it's always OFF since I don't have too many tapes any more and radio sucks.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

Today. Tower of Power's 40th Anniversary performance recorded live in 2008. If I'm not listening to my XM SkyFi II, I'm listening to a CD.

Edited by trh, 06 April 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

2011.  Was on a trip to Scotland with my wife and discovered a band called the "Red Hot Chili Pipers" (not what you think - look at the spelling closely) playing over a store's PA and video system - loved it and bought the CD immediately.  Told my daughter, who was picking us up on our return, that I wanted to play the CD on the way home from the airport.  She thought she knew what I had and giggled that my 'new' group was really something she'd known about for a while.

...then she heard AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" done by a rock bagpipe band :)

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'm not generally in the car long enough most of the time for it to be worth bringing CDs and loading/unloading... plus it gets hot in the summer so I don't like leaving them in the car... so I just got out of the habit years ago.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,328 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

When my wife bought the Garth Brooks box set that came out a few months ago.He's one of the holdouts, no digital purchase, even the physical media was exclusive.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Don't even own a car with a physical CD drive. - We rip EVERY single CD we buy into MP3 and load onto the portable MP3 player (that gets played through a cassette adapter). If/when we get a new car - I'm hoping it will have a analog audio input.

Commuting back and forth to work, or on errands around town - we usually just listen to our radio stations (and no - no HD or satellite radio either).

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 696 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

I use mine quite a bit. I will switch between cd, iPhone, and HI DEF radio.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,971 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Don't even own a car with a physical CD drive. - We rip EVERY single CD we buy into MP3 and load onto the portable MP3 player (that gets played through a cassette adapter). If/when we get a new car - I'm hoping it will have a analog audio input.

Commuting back and forth to work, or on errands around town - we usually just listen to our radio stations (and no - no HD or satellite radio either).

My car has digital input, and it's very slick. It'll play via Bluetooth or USB. It'll show playlists, track info, and album, controls on steering wheel allow skip, repeat, and vol. control.

So I am MP3/4 90% of the time, but occasionally we'll pop in a book or comedy show that's on CD. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,784 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:52 AM

My wife plays CDs in her car daily. I use them whenever I'm on a lengthy road trip.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#11 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

I switch back and forth, between the CD Player (I keep two or three favorite CD's in the glove box), and doing early-morning AM MW DX'ing.

I like to listen to Radio Australia programming via CBC Canada (540 KHz), and KRVN (880) in Nebraska, among others.

Last listened to a CD a day or two ago.

#12 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:35 AM

I think the last time I used one was about 3 cars ago!!  :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#13 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

I have a 6 disc player that is always loaded.

When talk radio goes into reruns I play it.

Music radio sucks.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

I never listen to the radio, its is always physical CD's....mp3's sound terrible...over-compressed crap, even at the highest bitrate, although if I could get a head unit that played FLAC in teh car I would consider ripping my collection.....if I had my way, I might even listen to vinyl in my car if I could.  Portability has turned great music into "elevator musak".....

#15 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Every time I drive. Have a 6 disc changer loaded with data discs I ripped - some have as many as 10 albums on a disc.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

my car has a single CD plus a 6 disc changer., both in the front. last time I used either had to be 2007 when I got my first iphone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

We listen to CD's when driving up and down I-5 or US-395 in California where the radio reception is terrible.

Around home the car radio is usually tuned to KUSC for classical music or KNX for news and traffic updates. We have a 2004 Subaru SUV so the choices are AM/FM/Weather/CD only.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have a cassette player built into my dash, but I admittedly have never used it.

#19 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

Yesterday.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,971 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

No one using cassettes or 8-tracks? Phonographs? ( a bit bumpy, but in a Rolls it is all right.)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...