Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Report: Weather Channel returning

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

Just watching CNBC and they reported that an agreement has been reached and will be announced today.

Edit: Here's a link http://finance.yahoo...-183200850.html

Edited by Grafixguy, 08 April 2014 - 12:36 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Press Release Details
The Weather Channel Returns to DIRECTV
04/08/2014

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- The Weather Channel will return to DIRECTV (channel 362) tomorrow as both companies have settled on a new agreement, the financial terms of which were not disclosed.

As part of the new pact, The Weather Channel agreed to reduce reality programming by half on weekdays; return instant local weather and allow authenticated DIRECTV customers to watch The Weather Channel’s video programming on multiple devices inside and outside the home.

“Our apologies to DIRECTV and their customers for the disruption of our service and for initiating a public campaign,” said David Kenny, CEO of the Weather Company, parent to The Weather Channel. “Our viewers deserve better than a public dispute and we pledge to reward their loyalty with exceptional programming and more weather focused news.”

“It’s a shame these disputes are played out on a public stage, but I’m pleased that we’ve been able to work together with The Weather Channel in a way that will benefit everyone,” said Dan York, DIRECTV’s chief content officer. “I know this was frustrating for many of our customers, but their patience was ultimately rewarded with a better deal and a better product.”

More here: 

http://investor.dire...TV/default.aspx

• damondlt likes this

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#3 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Interesting. What will happen to the multi-year agreement they just signed with WeatherNation?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • loudo likes this

#4 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 299 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

This is the very last headline I expected to see when I came to DBSTalk just now. 

• mnassour, SteveHas and bones boy like this
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#5 OFFLINE   kb301

kb301

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

Interesting. What will happen to the multi-year agreement they just signed with WeatherNation?

Interesting TWC said they will cut reality TV in half on the week days. I think Weathernation is a nice alternative to TWC especially when they are showing crappy TV shows and not the weather. It will be intersting to see who the Accu Weather Channel signs up with. The only part of Weathernation I didn't like was it seemed like they were never showing the live radar and telling people what was going on in real time.

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Gee, I wonder if that's what finally got TWC to realize that DIRECTV wasn't kidding around and they reduced their asking price?

I'm hoping that whatever WN was asking for a subscriber fee was low enough that DIRECTV ends up keeping both services.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,532 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

David Kenny, Chief Emasculated Officer.

• mnassour, carlsbad_bolt_fan, treecastle and 5 others like this

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

I'd say absolutely nothing. DirecTV knew that both would potentially go through. It's not a bad thing to have more than one channel with weather. Actually, I'm hoping they add Accuweather as well.

• mnassour likes this

#9 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:53 PM

Reading between the lines on this one-DirecTV won this battle and it wasn't even close. Long term this is good for all viewers (Cable/Sat) that like weather, if it means a return of actual weather forecasts on  TWC and maybe live weather for the West Coast when there is weather events taking place out here I am all for it. 

• jimmie57 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

This is the very last headline I expected to see when I came to DBSTalk just now. 

I had to remind myself that April Fool's Day was last week.

TWC back on DirecTV (with less reality programming)....   YAY!!!!  :D

• mrdobolina and nola56 like this

#11 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

On one hand I'm not happy it's back because to a certain extent it is rewarding the weather channel who deserves no reward and I have wanted that company to collapse ever since they tried to used me as an excuse to get congress to force companies to carry them.

But at least on the other hand they made the CEO learn humility as apologize and got a better deal and probably helped set up future negotiations for everyone on every channel.

I think this happens because they couldn't afford to not have DIRECTV as they have really screwed up their financing an where probably told by those who finance the company do this or be gone to the CEO.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have never heard of a CEO actually apologizing before. DIRECTV wins huge here.
  • mnassour, Alan Gordon, loudo and 12 others like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

As part of the new pact, The Weather Channel agreed to reduce reality programming by half on weekdays;

I think this is the biggest part of the agreement.  DirecTV has created a win for all programming providers. 

Of course a lot will depend on just how they reduce it by half.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#14 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

I'd say absolutely nothing. DirecTV knew that both would potentially go through. It's not a bad thing to have more than one channel with weather. Actually, I'm hoping they add Accuweather as well.

Agreed.  Nothing wrong with competing channels.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#15 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Understatement of the day! :lol:

Yeah, TWC's CEO apologizing publicly certainly means that DIRECTV was carrying the bigger stick and TWC had no other choice but to cave in.

I'm happy this is finally finished.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

Unexpected is an understatement. But I agree as well, as huge win for DirecTV and this sets a precedent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

[...]I have wanted that company to collapse ever since they tried to used me as an excuse to get congress to force companies to carry them.[...]

While I felt that was particularly scummy, I don't hold the entire company at fault for that.

They may have had a case when they were 24/7, but with the channel moving farther and farther away from that, it was an insulting proposal.

Does anyone know if TWC ever came to terms with Comcast?

Edited by Alan Gordon, 08 April 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#18 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 394 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Well.  It appears all of the anti TWC can now find some other topic to wail on.  Oh yea, I wonder how long the reality show ban lasts?  As I posted more than a 2-months ago, DTV used this as a spin to justify its rate increase, period.

#19 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

Well.  It appears all of the anti TWC can now find some other topic to wail on.  Oh yea, I wonder how long the reality show ban lasts?  As I posted more than a 2-months ago, DTV used this as a spin to justify its rate increase, period.

it depends if DTV wrote it into the contract or not

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 01:51 PM

As I posted more than a 2-months ago, DTV used this as a spin to justify its rate increase, period.

They (like everybody else) raise rates every year.  Programming costs get more expensive for them every year.  They don't have to justify them...

I also don't see how removing a channel from your lineup equates to "spin" in order to justify a rate increase.

spam firewall