Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR22 pass through Xbox One - picture quality issues?

xbox one HR22

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aintry

aintry

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:41 PM

Been running Directv (HR22 DVR) through new Xbox One console. Noticing some picture quality issues and wondering if this is common. Also wondering if there's a better alternative than the HR22 which I've had for what seems like forever now. 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

Have you tried going direct to the TV without the Xbox to confirm the picture quality problems are due to the Xbox? I was under the impression it merely does HDMI passthru, so you "should" get the same picture either way.

If you have problems without it, call Directv and have them check out your system to see if something's reason. If you only see the problems through the Xbox, call Microsoft :)

You can always call Directv about upgrading to a Genie and see what they can do for you, but if the problem does lie with the Xbox, this won't help as the Genie picks up the same satellite signal as the HR22, so both will produce pretty much the same picture quality.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

Been running Directv (HR22 DVR) through new Xbox One console. Noticing some picture quality issues and wondering if this is common. Also wondering if there's a better alternative than the HR22 which I've had for what seems like forever now. 

What kind of issues, please explain 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRobbinsville, NJ

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

My brother has his running thru the Xbox one and it seems to me, picture quality isn't as sharp

#5 OFFLINE   aintry

aintry

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Yes, I've tried reconnecting Directv the old fashioned way (sans xbox), and didn't notice a ton of difference, but in all fairness it was a pretty quick test as I was pressed for time. The few channels I tried seemed like they were probably sharper than when running through the Xbox, but what I should have tried was playing a recorded program that I know had issues (which I will try next time I get a chance). 

The issues I'm experiencing are a clear degradation in resolution. 1080p programming appears as though it's 720p at best and usually much worse. Darker tones tend to get that watercolor washout look, and sharper details seem grainy. For example, when I watched recorded episodes of HBO's True Detective, I swear I was watching it in SD it was that bad. At first I thought it was the DVR since most of what I watch is recorded, but I've noticed it during live broadcasts as well, just not as extreme. 

Pretty much got the XB1 because the TV integration appealed to me. The torture of dealing with Directv's slow and unresponsive guide/interface can be so unbearable that I was assuming any alternative would be an improvement. And I will admit that being able to call out commands does have its advantages (when it works). XB1 games are razor sharp and so is the Blu-ray, so I know the high resolution is there, and my external blu-ray player also works fine.

Are there any new Directv DVR's on the horizon, or is it worth upgrading to the Genie now?. 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

Are there any new Directv DVR's on the horizon, or is it worth upgrading to the Genie now?. 

anytime is a good time to upgrade to the Genie

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 03:11 PM

The issues I'm experiencing are a clear degradation in resolution. 1080p programming appears as though it's 720p at best and usually much worse. Darker tones tend to get that watercolor washout look, and sharper details seem grainy. For example, when I watched recorded episodes of HBO's True Detective, I swear I was watching it in SD it was that bad. At first I thought it was the DVR since most of what I watch is recorded, but I've noticed it during live broadcasts as well, just not as extreme. 

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe there are channels broadcasting in 1080p? Most broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p.

The best suggestion in regards picture quality I have come across is to turn off your XB1 every once in a while, use the white X button to totally turn the machine off and let it restart. You can also do this by pulling the plug in the back. I know other's have had success with some video issues being resolved by changing out their HDMI cables.  

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

Unless I am mistaken, I don't believe there are channels broadcasting in 1080p? 

Correct, only CH 125 if you call that a "broadcast" only some VOD is on 1080p

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: xbox one, HR22

Protected By... spam firewall...And...