Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

dtv new setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   w-r-g

w-r-g

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:39 AM

I currently have directv and want to add a couple receivers and get a new hd dvr as well. I have not had any problems in 3 years but the system is old and slow. Not sure what my dvr is now but it is 5 years old. I will call directv and get answers but just wanted a heads up on what the newest technology is out there. I do not have a SWM system but everything is home runned to a splitter in the attic. I need 6 total receivers and would like to watch recorded shows on all of them. Is one DVR good enough or do I need two? I do not really understand the genie system or the minis that I read about. Only a couple receivers will be used all the time and the others will be guest rooms. Any help appreciated! Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

First of all don't worry about not having a SWiM system, DIRECTV will install whatever is needed to make whatever you end up ordering work.

The Genie HD DVR is the latest with the HR44 model being the newest with build in WiFi for internet connection, with the older HR34 being the original Genie. Both have 5 DBS tuners and 1TB of harddrive space, some of which is reserved for DIRECTV for them to push PPV movies or record Genie recommendations to. You are allowed to have only one Genie HD DVR on an account. but you can have multiple HR2X HD DVR's along with the Genie. The Genie Mini Clients (C31 or C41) connect back to the Genie and use the Genie's tuners to view live programming or recorded programming. You can have a max of 8 Mini Clients configured on a Genie but only three can be powered on and being used at one time. There is also now a wireless Mini Client, C41W, which doesn't need a coax connection like the C31/C41 need. So you might want to think about the C41W for the guest rooms if you just need to be able to move one around when needed.

What you might want to do is get the Genie for your main viewing location and then a HR2X HD DVR for the next used location. This would give you a total of 7 tuners available for recordings. Then for the other locations either mini clients or H2X HD receivers. The upside of using the H2X's are that they don't use a tuner from the Genie or if the Genie breaks they swill work. Down side is that they don't have all the same features available like on a Genie or HR2X, live being able to view DIRECTV on Demand programming (unless it's already been downloaded to a HD DVR), Pandora, YouTube or management of the ToDo list of series manager like on the Genie.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   w-r-g

w-r-g

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info , that really helps me out! 

spam firewall