Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NFL 2014 Programming PreSeason Finalized

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Attached is today's NFL Press Release providing the coming 2014 PreSeason schedule.  While National Broadcasts are defined, the day-of-week and kickoff times have not yet finalized for all the Team-OTA-Station broadcasts.  I believe that NFL Net will also be announcing an additional slate of 8 PreSeason games that will be nationally televised.

When more information is released, I will keep you apprised with updated and more familiar PDF schedules.

Edited by Gary Toma, 07 July 2014 - 01:11 PM.
removed outdated attachment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Here is the 2014 NFL PreSeason in our usual PDF format.

In addition to the 7 National Broadcasts, now shown, I expect NFLNET will weigh in with an announcement that they will carry perhaps an additional 8 preseason games live.

**Edit 4/24**

The schedule is now completed, with day of the week and kick-off time information.

However, I will wait until much closer to the season before producing the schedules in our 1-for-each-timezone format.  There are still many changes that will be made!

**Edit 7/23**

See Post #22 of this thread for the most current, complete programming data.

Edited by Gary Toma, 30 July 2014 - 09:08 PM.
deleted outdated attachment

• JimAtTheRez likes this

#3 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

Thanks a lot Gary, you come through every year.

#4 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

Post #2 has the PDF updated - we now have some 19 games for which the day of the week and times have been announced.

#5 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:29 AM

Supposedly the regular season sched comes out 4/22.

#6 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

Just a correct for you, Minnesota now playing at TCF Bank Stadium for the next 2 season.  you made want to note that in your pdf.  They do not go back to their new stadium until 2016.

#7 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Just a correct for you, Minnesota now playing at TCF Bank Stadium for the next 2 season.  you made want to note that in your pdf.  They do not go back to their new stadium until 2016.

Gophers,

The schedule has been updated to show all the Vikings home games as @W -- being played in the local weather.  Try Minnesota outdoor in December?  No thank you....

All other announcements up to 4/20/14 have been included in the preseason schedule.  Still a lot of announcements to come.....

#8 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

2014 NFL Regular Season Schedule

----place holder for 4/22/14 press release ---

#9 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Looks like reg sched now 4/23 8:00pm.

Edited by dcowboy7, 22 April 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

A snippet from an NFL Press Release on 4/22/14:

The 2014 NFL schedule will be released on NFL Network, NFL.com, and NFL Mobile from Verizon on Wednesday, April 23 at 8:00 PM ET.

#11 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

2014 NEW FLEX SCHEDULE RULES

--part of an NFL Press Release--

The NFL schedule comes out Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET. It will arrive with two significant changes in the league's flexible scheduling procedures.

Games can now be flexed into "Sunday Night Football" as early as Week 5, according to a league source. In the past, "flex scheduling" did not start until Week 11. The league can also "cross flex" select games between CBS and FOX.

The potential flex games between Week 5 and Week 10 come with a stipulation. The NFL can't change the tentative "Sunday Night Football" game every week. The league can flex up to two games total into Sunday night between Weeks 5-10. The rest of the flexible schedule procedures from previous years remains intact. After Week 11, the NFL can flex any Sunday night game.

As before, only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window. Thursday, Saturday, and Monday games are not affected. Flex scheduling allows the league to handpick a game to be moved into the Sunday Night NBC window, avoiding lackluster matchups. 

The "cross flex" mechanism will serve a similar purpose. Select games can be flexed between CBS and FOX. In the past, a game with two NFC teams had to be on FOX and a game with two AFC teams had to be on CBS. Now, the league can theoretically move an all-NFC game to CBS or an all-AFC game to FOX in select cases. This will help balance out the television schedule, especially in a week where one network has all the most intriguing games.

The procedure to decide on the Sunday Night flex scheduling remains the same. The NFL will decide to flex games after consultation with the television networks. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the Sunday night game for Weeks 5-16. There is no tentative Sunday night game scheduled for Week 17, as usual. The league has to announce the final Sunday schedule with at least six days' notice. 

Ultimately, this tweak gives the league greater flexibility to program high-quality matchups on Sunday night throughout the season. The league can avoid airing a matchup nationally that looks a lot worse in the cold light of October than it does on the day the schedule is released.

#12 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

2014 NEW FLEX SCHEDULE RULES

--part of an NFL Press Release--

The NFL schedule comes out Wednesday night at 8 p.m. ET. It will arrive with two significant changes in the league's flexible scheduling procedures.

Games can now be flexed into "Sunday Night Football" as early as Week 5, according to a league source. In the past, "flex scheduling" did not start until Week 11. The league can also "cross flex" select games between CBS and FOX.

The potential flex games between Week 5 and Week 10 come with a stipulation. The NFL can't change the tentative "Sunday Night Football" game every week. The league can flex up to two games total into Sunday night between Weeks 5-10. The rest of the flexible schedule procedures from previous years remains intact. After Week 11, the NFL can flex any Sunday night game.

As before, only Sunday afternoon games are subject to being moved into the Sunday night window. Thursday, Saturday, and Monday games are not affected. Flex scheduling allows the league to handpick a game to be moved into the Sunday Night NBC window, avoiding lackluster matchups. 

The "cross flex" mechanism will serve a similar purpose. Select games can be flexed between CBS and FOX. In the past, a game with two NFC teams had to be on FOX and a game with two AFC teams had to be on CBS. Now, the league can theoretically move an all-NFC game to CBS or an all-AFC game to FOX in select cases. This will help balance out the television schedule, especially in a week where one network has all the most intriguing games.

The procedure to decide on the Sunday Night flex scheduling remains the same. The NFL will decide to flex games after consultation with the television networks. The announcement will come no later than 12 days prior to the Sunday night game for Weeks 5-16. There is no tentative Sunday night game scheduled for Week 17, as usual. The league has to announce the final Sunday schedule with at least six days' notice. 

Ultimately, this tweak gives the league greater flexibility to program high-quality matchups on Sunday night throughout the season. The league can avoid airing a matchup nationally that looks a lot worse in the cold light of October than it does on the day the schedule is released.

I'm curious what this will mean for the value of Sunday Ticket this year and in the future. It sounds like the league is doing all they can to insure the most intriguing matchups are available to as many people in the country as possible. That could essentially water down the ST package if most of the marquee matchups are available on local networks. I realize there is still value for people who want to follow one particular team but is that really worth $240+ a year? Perhaps D* has already realized this and that is why the ST negotiations are still underway.

#13 OFFLINE   Gary Toma

Gary Toma

UNIX

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

Attached is a chart about Sunday Ticket that comes back to haunt us again and again.  Each year the NFL chips away at Sunday Ticket.  The change from 2013 to 2014 is one more Thursday Night game and two Saturday games.  Those of course, are stolen from the Sunday Ticket cache.

So this year, 45% of the games, 115 out of 256, are available for free.  Sunday Ticket is indeed being devalued more every year.

Attached Files

#14 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

But not for people who don't live in the market of their team which is the biggest selling point of ST. If I want to see all of my team's games I need ST, there is no other choice.

#15 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:40 AM

But not for people who don't live in the market of their team which is the biggest selling point of ST. If I want to see all of my team's games I need ST, there is no other choice.

True, at which point the question becomes how much are those games worth to you?

#16 ONLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:50 AM

Attached is a chart about Sunday Ticket that comes back to haunt us again and again.  Each year the NFL chips away at Sunday Ticket.  The change from 2013 to 2014 is one more Thursday Night game and two Saturday games.  Those of course, are stolen from the Sunday Ticket cache.

So this year, 45% of the games, 115 out of 256, are available for free.  Sunday Ticket is indeed being devalued more every year.

I love this chart.  For the last 2-years I refused to look at the bottom line, total free games available.  However, after last season I made up my mind to kill my ST subscription and either choose RZC from Comcast for about $5.00 a month or just go cold turkey and watch whatever is offered free.  

I have started to fall out of love with the NFL.  Too many spoiled and arrogant owners, coaches, players, analyst, etc...   I hope DTV adds the SEC Network, I am looking forward to the college football season.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Here is the 2014 NFL PreSeason in our usual PDF format.

In addition to the 7 National Broadcasts, now shown, I expect NFLNET will weigh in with an announcement that they will carry perhaps an additional 8 preseason games live.

*Edit 4/24*

The schedule is now completed, with day of the week and kick-off time information.

Football season starts in five months.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 ONLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:08 AM

Football season starts in five months.

By the daily dose of news you would think they never stopped playing.

#19 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:37 AM

But the draft is in 13 days.

#20 OFFLINE   anex80

anex80

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I just went through the whole schedule and counted 17 games that I would definitely watch and likely won't receive without ST. I'm sure there will be others as well but based on that number at the current rate of $240, that would amount to just under $15 per game. I think that's a fair price so I'll keep it this year. Plus I'll have the ability to switch out of one-sided games which I would be stuck with without the package. It does appear that the value is decreasing, however. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when the current deal expires.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...