Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 Fun/Cavaet Emptor

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 03:10 PM

:bang

This seems pointless at this time.

Why would it list channels for your zip code even if they can't be received?

Try running the OTA setup without an antenna.

"once again" the only "scanning" is of the database.

:bang

I don't want to suggest someone is an idiot, so instead it would be nice to see some proof of a scan that wasn't connected to the database, where a channel was listed as regular programing.

The only people I suggest are idiots in this thread are the ones who signed off on this OTA "solution"

It's a design flaw, and has been since day 1.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

So I guess we should say that it "scans" for channels that are in the database, not for channels that are actually coming in

I suggest using the phrase "confirms availability of channels in the DIRECTV database".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#83 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

Sitting in my closet, were a couple OTA Digital tuners which were being handed out by the FCC, before the Digital conversion. I obtained them in the event my neighbors, or family, did not get them before the coupon expiration deadline. I never used them, because OTA around here was terrible, unless you had an outdoor antenna. Of course, as I noted in the first post, OTA around here has improved greatly.

The deviecs are called "PalPlus" and were made by Echostar. Very simple. Antenna In; Antenaa Out or RCA Audio/Video out. The best these can do is 480i. Howver, out of things I tried, this did the best job picking up signals; some very fringe signals. THe digital signal is about 10% better than the Homeworx, which is suppose to be more recent technology. They also come with a very nice Grid EPG (very similar to Dish's older receivers) and a nice remote (Hoemworx coudl learn what a decent remote can do). Considering almost all the subchannels, in Denver, run at 480i anyway, this is a reasonable solution. That is, I can look at a grid and see what is on. Again, this is not perfect, no HiDef, No Composite, not DVR, but does a better job than the AM21 and the Homeworx solution (a remote that semi worked and a unstable box). My bedroom TV only has one HDMI anyway, was a monitor, and never had a tuner.  I ended up gettimg 60 channels on my bedroom TV, and 40 channels on my living room set. Pretty good with an AmzaonBasics Amplied Flat Antenna. 

Finally, I know there are merits to the AM21, but it is most effective if one lives in the middle of an DMA, and have to rely on a database being miantained. It is ironic that I cam across an article that DirecTV may drop local channels to free of space (the article is from last year). If that is the case, they need a more robust solution than what they are offering now.

#84 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Where you live in any DMA has nothing to do with how the AM21 functions. Your antenna and what kind of signal it pulls in, is the sole factor in making the AM21 function. Even though the principle of D* database and the channels that are/aren't in affects your end result, that is not the AM21's fault. D* should have devised a better system to get ALL of the sub-channels possible in any certain DMA.The AM21 functions just like it was designed, with the right antenna. And with some perserverance and work, you can get almost all channels available in any certain DMA. Most people that complain about the AM21 on these forums, don't fully understand how it works. Its just like a lot of D* CSR's. They have no clue about the AM21 or how it functions. No wonder there is a lot of confusion about it.

#85 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I've been using AM21's since they were released, on 3 or 4 different model HR's, 21-24's.....can't remember if I have ever had a IKOD with an OTA recording, have had many from a Sat channel recording....I still have 3 of them in use virtually everyday.

#86 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:11 PM

The thing is, one should not have to jump through hoops, or "do a little work". You should be able to plug the device in, have it scan for channels add and remoev channels manually, and, over the internet obtain the EPG from ZapToIt or a similar source. Yes, the AM21 does its function, but it should be in line with the second decade of the 21st century and not the last decade of the 20th.  Not to mention, it could use a more up to date tuner. And if DirecTV deosn't do that, they could at least provide a menu function to maually add subchannels. 

Where you live in any DMA has nothing to do with how the AM21 functions. Your antenna and what kind of signal it pulls in, is the sole factor in making the AM21 function. Even though the principle of D* database and the channels that are/aren't in affects your end result, that is not the AM21's fault. D* should have devised a better system to get ALL of the sub-channels possible in any certain DMA.The AM21 functions just like it was designed, with the right antenna. And with some perserverance and work, you can get almost all channels available in any certain DMA. Most people that complain about the AM21 on these forums, don't fully understand how it works. Its just like a lot of D* CSR's. They have no clue about the AM21 or how it functions. No wonder there is a lot of confusion about it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...