Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gotta luv my D*, thanks to Comcast

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

This maybe trolling, but I have to gloat

http://www.cnet.com/...any-in-america/

If it wasn't for lousy cable, lousy service, and lousy quality, I never would have jumped to D* 15 years ago.

I've never regretted my decision for even a second since!

Thanks Comcrap, or whatever name you had back then.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

The new Bugs Bunny cartoons nail the cable industry in their toons.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Wow, to beat Monsanto, you really got to be crappy

• SteveHas likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

I was a Comcast subscriber for 5 years, left them in November of 2013 when I relocated outside of their service area. I always had a love/hate relationship with them. 

The good: I rarely had a service outage with them. Internet speed was great and reliable. Channel selection was good, as a matter of fact they carry a few channels that I wish DIRECTV would carry. HD PQ was good, but not quite as good as DIRECTV. SD PQ was much better than DIRECTV, Comcast's SD channels were actually watchable, unlike many on DIRECTV. The price was not bad, internet+TV ran me about $120 a month. 

One thing I applaud Comcast on was their forced upgrade to digital. In my area when they transitioned from analog to Digital Cable, they sent out a notice to all subscribers that said "You have one month to come get a free receiver upgrade. If you don't come get it now, you'll have to pay for new digital receivers." They set a date to cease analog broadcasting and stuck with it. I really wish DIRECTV would get the balls to do this and say "It's 2014, it's time we stop wasting bandwidth on duplicate SD channels. You have a month to upgrade to HD equipment." I know, there's still people who -WANT- SD (like that one dude on this forum) but at some point you have to move into the 21st Century. 

The bad: DVR was laughable. 128 GB HD that would fill up quickly. When I started service with them the X1 Platform wasn't available yet and once they rolled it out in my area I wasn't eligible to upgrade because they were only giving that platform to new subscribers. When service did go down, they were slow to respond. Usually it was a service outage in my area that would take hours to fix. The one time that I did have an issue on my end I was told the standard "We'll be there between 8am to 5pm" so I took off work that day, only for them to arrive at 4:30pm. My local Comcast office is severely understaffed. Anytime you had to go to the office to swap out receivers you would be guaranteed at LEAST an hour wait in line. Standing in line for an hour while holding a couple of receivers is not an enjoyable experience. 

While I was mostly happy with the programming, I was never happy with they way Comcast did business. Anyone remember how they treated Bit Torrent downloads a few years ago by introducing packet poisoning and speed throttling? I also was not happy with their merger/buyout/whatever with NBC Universal. I don't think that media providers should be getting into bed with the content they provide.  

In all honesty, when I moved if Comcast was available in my area I would have probably kept them. Since I moved to a rural area where satellite was the best option I can say that I'm very happy I made the switch. Prior to last year I was a DIRECTV subscriber from 1999 - 2001 and a Dish Network subscriber from 2001 - 2003. Satellite TV has come a very long way since then and I'm proud to call myself a "DIRECTV Fanboy." 

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:21 PM

Moving to digital didn't have all that much to do with moving to Hi Definition only. It had tondo with then just not having the bandwidth to compete if they didn't. And they could go area by area. DIRECTV can't do that as it would cost a ton. It will have to be slower with DIRECTV. They can make that many service calls fast enough or have the inventory ready for the number of boxes out there. Last I heard calculated DIRECTV has over 30 million sd boxes. That's a lot of boxes. Although it may and should be less by now.

#6 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

Moving to digital didn't have all that much to do with moving to Hi Definition only. It had tondo with then just not having the bandwidth to compete if they didn't. And they could go area by area. DIRECTV can't do that as it would cost a ton. It will have to be slower with DIRECTV. They can make that many service calls fast enough or have the inventory ready for the number of boxes out there. Last I heard calculated DIRECTV has over 30 million sd boxes. That's a lot of boxes. Although it may and should be less by now.

No I totally get that and agree. I didn't mean they went to digital because of HD, but simply that they made the decision to go all digital and stuck with it. I also understand the countless SD boxes that DTV has, but again, at some point they need to make the first step. And no matter what, that first step is going to be painful and make a lot of people mad, but it needs to be done sooner than later. 

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

The one time that I did have an issue on my end I was told the standard "We'll be there between 8am to 5pm" so I took off work that day, only for them to arrive at 4:30pm. 

From what I have heard since then they now have improved that to two hour appointment windows in most markets. They claim they meet the window 95% of them time as well... They also issue a $20 credit or a free premium channel for three months if they do not meet it. 

----

Comcast 'Deeply Disapointed' in Their Awful Customer Service (DSLR)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

No I totally get that and agree. I didn't mean they went to digital because of HD, but simply that they made the decision to go all digital and stuck with it. I also understand the countless SD boxes that DTV has, but again, at some point they need to make the first step. And no matter what, that first step is going to be painful and make a lot of people mad, but it needs to be done sooner than later.

Actually in some small ways they already have. They haven added any new locals that aren't mpeg4 in I think 5 years.

#9 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 04:36 PM

But DirecTV has been digital since the get go 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

But DirecTV has been digital since the get go 

"To go all digital" was in reference to Comcast. In my area when I was originally a Comcast subscriber, they provided their programming in analog. They later moved to digital cable, requiring a receiver for programming. When they moved to digital they ceased their analog feeds.

My point is, as a Comcast customer back then, at first we didn't need a receiver. Plug the cable into the back of an old NTSC cable ready TV and off you went. When they transitioned to digital cable they ran screen crawlers for weeks, called and emailed constantly, and had reminders on each bill that you had 30 days to pick up a receiver for free. After the 30 days you had to pay for the receiver, and if you didn't get a new receiver you would loose all of your channels. Oh yes, chaos and mayhem ensued, as a few hundred thousand customers had to upgrade to the digital receiver - however everyone survived it.

This is something that DIRECTV needs to do, somehow, in order to wean people off of SD. Pick a date, stick with it, and on that date discontinue the SD feeds. Those that cry and refuse to move into the 21st Century will just have to cancel their service. A good first step would be to stop offering SD receivers to new customers. The longer they provide new SD receivers the more they are adding to the total number of SD receivers still in use. 

Here's a good way to transition in 3 years:

1) Stop sales of all SD equipment. All new customers receive ONLY an HD receiver. 

2) Implement a 3 year program that all customers that renew their contracts MUST upgrade to an HD receiver. Do this at a discounted (or free) price. The Genie is free to new customers, no reason they can't do it with renewals. 

3) After 2 years of ceasing the sales of SD equipment, send notices to all remaining SD customers (and non-contract customers) that they need to upgrade to HD equipment in order to continue to receive service. 

4) During the final year continue to remind customers they need to upgrade their equipment. 

5) On the date 3 years after step one, deactivate all SD receivers but leave the feeds active. When SD customers start calling in to report they've lost programming, schedule a receiver swap and reactivate their SD receiver for 60 days until the new HD receiver can be installed. At this point - because of 3 years of warning the switch was coming - the customer must now pay for the new equipment. If they don't want to, they can cancel. 

6) At 60 days past the cut off date, cease transmission of SD feeds. Anyone else that calls to complain of loss of programming will be directed to customer retention where they can either cancel or buy new equipment. 

Done. All SD is gone. For the birds that still have lifetime left in their service, they can now be used to expand HD programming or support more local programming such as OTA subchannels. 

Of course I'm sure there's a lot about the technical or financial implications in my plan above that I don't fully understand. But at least it's a better plan that continuing to waste bandwidth on SD duplicates of programming. 

• mrdobolina and cypherx like this

#11 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:35 PM

This is something that DIRECTV needs to do, somehow, in order to wean people off of SD. Pick a date, stick with it, and on that date discontinue the SD feeds. Those that cry and refuse to move into the 21st Century will just have to cancel their service. A good first step would be to stop offering SD receivers to new customers. The longer they provide new SD receivers the more they are adding to the total number of SD receivers still in use. 

That implies that everyone is able to receive HD service, which is not true.  Are you planning to write off everyone with LOS issues?

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:48 PM

That implies that everyone is able to receive HD service, which is not true.  Are you planning to write off everyone with LOS issues?

and we have a winner!!!!!!

there are a few hundred customers in my market that can't get HD because their dishes are mounted on a 10 foot pole using a tripod on their roofs.  Would DirecTV want to send this money to the cable competitors?  :nono2:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:19 AM

Not to mention there's easier ways. Start by moving all the sports packages to Hi Definition only. Then the premiums. Then market by market.

Then you do all channels
That are only in ultimate. Then only in extra then... And so on.

#14 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

and we have a winner!!!!!!

there are a few hundred customers in my market that can't get HD because their dishes are mounted on a 10 foot pole using a tripod on their roofs.  Would DirecTV want to send this money to the cable competitors?  :nono2:

Yes, you're right. Let's hold DIRECTV in the 20th Century and continue to offer SD because of a few hundred out of a few million customers have LOS issues.  :righton:  

Edit: Okay, to appease the few people with LOS issues or that just refuse to upgrade to HD because they "don't want it" I propose to keep a limited amount of SD feeds. Maybe enough to fit in two or three transponders that could carry just very basic "cable" channels. Sports, PPV, Premium channels, and channels available in higher tier packages remain in HD only. That would at least free up a good bit of bandwidth. 

Edited by WB4CS, 15 April 2014 - 01:42 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:06 PM

That implies that everyone is able to receive HD service, which is not true. Are you planning to write off everyone with LOS issues?

If they have LOS issues for 99/103 but not 101 then they weren't installed within DTV policy for LOS to begin with...
And if they have LOS issues with 99/103 is are on windy days they have issues with 101 as well unless it's a building blocking

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app
  • damondlt likes this

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

If they have LOS issues for 99/103 but not 101 then they weren't installed within DTV policy for LOS to begin with...

Policies have changed.  It was "policy" back then to install a tripod with a pole for an SD dish... 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Yes, you're right. Let's hold DIRECTV in the 20th Century and continue to offer SD because of a few hundred out of a few million customers have LOS issues:righton:  

There are a few hundred in my market alone, times that by all the markets and now it seems like a large number that will go to the competitor 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

Policies have changed. It was "policy" back then to install a tripod with a pole for an SD dish...

I can tell you the national LOS policy hasn't changed. ...

Now that doesn't mean local sups didn't alter (ignore) policy to get their completion #'s up and look good, or techs following the "if it works today (or for 90 days) its good for me"

Yes some other policies have changed but not what I was talking about.

#19 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,273 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:59 PM

I can tell you the national LOS policy hasn't changed. ...

Again, you seem to be missing the "10 foot" point  !rolling

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

Again, you seem to be missing the "10 foot" point !rolling

Again, another one of our "I'm talking about apples your talking about oranges conversations"

Look back my original response was quoting someone else about general LOS issues not your specific point on the pole (although you tried to steer the conversation towards that specific, insignificant point). I even said in the last post your quoting National LOS policy hasn't changed (as was my point). I go on to say in my last line that is aimed at you pole policy, that yes some other policies have changed but that wasn't what I was talking about. So you seem to be missing my bigger picture point for yours....

I doubt there is a significant % (more than 1%) of customers on 10 poles still out there for DTV to factor them in a decision (at least from my experience in LA/SD/Denver markets, may be more in more wooded areas). What is the bigger factor is the % installed without proper LOS window with normal mast installs (fixable with proper dish relocation or not) but again those people more than likely have issues already on windy days unless it's a building causing the issues.

The use of 10' poles was more of a way of bending the rules to meet the rules than actually meeting the rules to begin with since previously there was no specific rules saying not to. Part of the reason over the years DTV has changed the mentality of creating policies of "what you can't do" to policies of "what you can do"

• damondlt likes this

spam firewall