Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Gotta luv my D*, thanks to Comcast

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:01 PM

10 foot poles are rarely used. Most techs and directv would agree that it's better to deny the install then risk multiple call backs over poor reception. We have several developments that are heavily wooded with the same issues, and directv and dish are not installing 10 foot poles. They are denying the installs.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

you are absolutely correct, because policy changed

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

Can you post a picture?

Sure 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0684.jpg

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,557 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Wow, I've definitely never seen that before! Maybe I can get Directv at my house after all...do they make those with a 50' pole at a 30* angle? :)

Edited by slice1900, 16 April 2014 - 06:02 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#29 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

If they have LOS issues for 99/103 but not 101 then they weren't installed within DTV policy for LOS to begin with...

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

Um that's mathematically not possible unless.... They require less clearance than 101.

Otherwise 99 and 103 require at least an additional 2 degrees.

#30 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

Sure 

I have seen a couple of jobs/picture of jobs like that. The part I've never understood is why/how the tech would accomplish that. I'd never stand on a ladder on the peak of the roof like that...

Only thing that makes sense is a lift bucket.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#31 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:57 PM

that used to be the norm back in the days....

That picture came from a 10 year customer who wanted an HDDVR 5 years ago, and recently a Genie (CSR told her that rules have changed since) she currently have an R15 with a 55 inch flat screen.  she despises the Cableco so much that she is willing to keep DirecTV even tho is only SD.  cutting SD would mean that this customer would be forced togo to Cable.

There is more where this picture came from.... 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#32 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:20 PM

Um that's mathematically not possible unless.... They require less clearance than 101.

Otherwise 99 and 103 require at least an additional 2 degrees.

I think you didn't get my post...

I'm getting at if they were installed in a situation where the 99 OR 103 were blocked by some object but the 101 is OK they weren't in policy to begin with. I wasn't saying the 99/103 both were blocked but 101 OK. 

#33 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

I'm getting at if they were installed in a situation where the 99 OR 103 were blocked by some object but the 101 is OK they weren't in policy to begin with. I wasn't saying the 99/103 both were blocked but 101 OK. 

Or, the dish was installed before 99 and 103 were in service.  As the dish was on the house when I moved in in early 2007 and as the 99 and 103 satellites went into service in 2005, it's entirely possible that it was installed according to policy at the time.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

it's entirely possible that it was installed according to policy at the time.

Correct, as I have said, polices have changed.  and to put the cherry on top, a dish could of have ben installed perfectly 5 years ago, according to policy back then, but now vegetation growth has made it that the customer may not have LOS anymore 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Or, the dish was installed before 99 and 103 were in service.  As the dish was on the house when I moved in in early 2007 and as the 99 and 103 satellites went into service in 2005, it's entirely possible that it was installed according to policy at the time.

A situation like that isn't quite possible if following the policy...  Here is an excerpt from the DirecTV SPIG (Standard Professional Installation Guide) Section 3.2:

3..2 Unobstructed Line of Sight 
Use a compass and inclinometer to locate a site with an unobstructed view to the desired satellite(s). 
Ensure that you have a 10-degree window around the charted location for the satellites. Remember the optimum 
window is for clear LINE OF SIGHT (LOS) from 10˚ left of the 99˚ satellite to 10˚ right of the 119˚ satellite. This is 
~ a 40˚ window. If you only require LOS to the 101˚ satellite and the window will not allow the full 40˚clearance, it 
is acceptable to proceed with the installation. Take into consideration future growth of trees that may impede the 
signal. If you cannot get a clear LOS, call your supervisor. 

DirecTV has always required a 10 degree window in its policy to accommodate for possible new satellites, tree growth etc. Yes this wouldn't have accommodated the 119 back in the day so lets throw out that counter argument now... So, the argument that a 101 basic dish was installed within policy at any time and now can't get 99 or 103 isn't possible unless there is new tree growth/building/etc. This policy also includes LOS variance below satellite elevation, although it isn't expressly written here. Example if the elevation to the satellite is 45 degrees for your market you need clearance at 35 degrees elevation to accommodate possible growth, although fixed objects like buildings tend to rightfully get ignored for this part of the policy. With that said, odds are the use of the 10' poles to clear trees still weren't within policy even when 10' poles/tripods were allowed.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

DirecTV has always required a 10 degree window 

and DirecTV knows that this is BS.  if 10 window were rightfully enforced, DirecTV would have half of its subscribers, heck, even I could not installed DirecTV in my house.  I have had 5 degrees clearance from a tree in the last 6 years since it was installed 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

I think you are missing mine. The point wasn't if they can actually get the signal but if it meets their degree available space. Very big difference.

And I'd also think their policy on degrees should be different if something is close that's a building vs a tree for example. Building won't grow like a tree so shouldn't require the same clearance. IMHO any way.

#38 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

and DirecTV knows that this is BS.  if 10 window were rightfully enforced, DirecTV would have half of its subscribers, heck, even I could not installed DirecTV in my house.  I have had 5 degrees clearance from a tree in the last 6 years since it was installed 

I doubt the 10 degree window would affect anywhere near 50%. 10-25%, yes. Either way, if strictly enforced, yes it would cause a significant hit to the bottom line and that's why for right or wrong its fairly relaxed. At  the same time the policy was created for a reason and without it service repeats for LOS issues would be high. In my opinion the policy isn't BS at all, but at the same time doesn't need to be followed 100% of the time. Each case needs to be looked at in terms of what is blocking the window of LOS, and is that blockage likely to get worse over time or in weather.  I'll admit I've done more than my fair share of jobs too where they wouldn't have met the policy, but I've also turned away many that could have been installed but the potential for down the road issues was high.

In the past I had access to reports that showed DTVs total service calls performed by week and month and can tell you come spring when the leaves came in the service call rate before IV was enforced shoot through the roof, the years following IV it climbed in March/April but no where near as much. If I remember correctly the year following IV enforcement went down in the ballpark of 20-30%, thats going back 4 or so years now so I may be off but it was a very significant drop. Imagine a tech installing dishes all fall/winter with marginal LOS, but working, then come spring has a huge # turn into NLOS service calls. If there was no policy in place there could be no consequence to the tech but with policy in place he can be reprimanded for not allowing a window for the leaves to grow in. On the national level spring service calls caused major $ in pointless truck rolls. 

I think you are missing mine. The point wasn't if they can actually get the signal but if it meets their degree available space. Very big difference.

And I'd also think their policy on degrees should be different if something is close that's a building vs a tree for example. Building won't grow like a tree so shouldn't require the same clearance. IMHO any way.

For your 2nd point, I agree and and its rarely followed for fixed objects, rightfully so. 

For the first point I see where you were going with your post now :)

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

I doubt the 10 degree window would affect anywhere near 50%. )

This varies where you live, obviously in NYC, trees are not a problem, but in my market, which happens to be a "forest" trees have become an issue. If my market were to follow this 100%, we will be out of a job by now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,557 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

This varies where you live, obviously in NYC, trees are not a problem, but in my market, which happens to be a "forest" trees have become an issue. If my market were to follow this 100%, we will be out of a job by now.

Have become? Isn't a tree problem pretty much constant? Small trees grow big, but big trees fall down, so while they may change at a given location, across a whole market a tree problem can't become bigger except in new developments that used to be farm fields a couple decades ago. Pretty sure it has been longer than that since most of Long Island was farm land :)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,604 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:30 PM

Have become? Isn't a tree problem pretty much constant? Small trees grow big, but big trees fall down, so while they may change at a given location, across a whole market a tree problem can't become bigger except in new developments that used to be farm fields a couple decades ago. Pretty sure it has been longer than that since most of Long Island was farm land :)

you are right, I used the wrong words, it should have been "has been a problem"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#42 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Well looks like you have yes to worry about, here is apartments as LOS issues. Thankfully I rarely work on those anymore.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

#43 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,182 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

Firing Comcast was the most satisfying things I've done in terms of dealing with a service provider. I won't even move to a town where they are the primary high speed internet provider.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 via DBSTalk mobile app

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

Protected By... spam firewall...And...