Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

is this a new tuner glitch on HWS?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   aarontx

aarontx

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Have had hopper with sling for a little over a year now, and it just starting getting the following glitch in last couple days.

If there are 2 different shows set to record back to back on the same sat channel, two minutes before the second shows starts, the receiver takes another tuner and starts recording the SAME channel with 2 different tuners.  It does this with recurring timers and one time timers.

It used to just use one tuner, I am 100% sure of this.

This is causing interruption of live TV watching for a few minutes a night.

Are there any settings in the receiver that can fix this?

Thanks,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:49 PM

It may or may not be a glitch.  It depends on how your timers are defined.

IF you use the default padding (some other scenarios work too... but 0 or 1 min start early, and 1 or 2 min end late I *think* are safe) then it should share the tuner for back-to-back recordings on the same tuner... although that could mean one recording gets cutoff early to start the second one.

IF you change the default padding... like I set mine for 2 min early and 3 min late... then it will always grab another tuner even to record on the same channel for another event.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,428 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:27 PM

Really?  I honestly thought it worked like directv boxes where it doesn't matter how much padding if the two shows are on the same channel.

Why would it be ok with one min pad but not 2 or 3?

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

That last couple of software versions have been doing this no matter what padding you use.

It is also causing it to drop 5 minute padding that I have set to get the end of some shows that always run over.

I have been forced to set timers for some shows on one of my other Hoppers just to make sure I get the whole show now. (I used to be able to record my 35+ shows every week on a single Hopper)

I also thinks this change is now cause some of the "cancelled bu user" errors that have started happening.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,714 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

I have read/heard that they might be experimenting.  I don't know what that means...  but I and others have said a few times that they *should* be able to handle overlap and recordings of different shows back-to-back on the same channel without the need to engage another tuner.  It could be that they are trying to implement that and are encountering bugs along the way that might result in some of the recent unexpected problems.

Unless/until they formalize some new behavior...  I was explaining how it has previously always worked with regards to the padding... not necessarily how I think or would like it to work :)  Maybe this is oddly a good sign that they are working on something that will eventually make everybody happier.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

If Dish wishes to experiment with something like that, they need to assemble a volunteer group (not just the beta team) to download the beta software to and see how it works, don't use everyone as beta testers.

I would volunteer one of my Hoppers.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...