Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

genie high-frequency connectors

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:26 PM

so, i had my genie installed yesterday (new build home) and the tech replaced my wall plate connectors with high-frequency ones...but he used just regular barrels so the wire is just hanging from the wall rather than sitting in the keystone plate.  i went to lowes and picked up a 5-pack of high-frequency keystone connectors...but then i second guessed myself and i'm debating whether or not i should just put the original connectors back in.  it's a new home and i had it pre-wired for satellite, so i'm hoping they were already acceptable...

so far, i have the genie and HR24 using the connectors he put in, one mini on one of the new lowes connectors, and one mini on the original connector.  everything seems to be working as it should...is there anything specifically that would go haywire if the original connectors aren't acceptable?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   capnp72

capnp72

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationJohnsburg, IL

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

I replaced all of my wall plates with ones from a big box store with the connectors that they came with and haven't had any problems.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

is there anything specifically that would go haywire if the original connectors aren't acceptable?

NO.

#4 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 742 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

NO.

thanks for the detailed answer...lol.

so basically i can go back to the connectors that were already there and i should be ok?

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:59 PM

YESSSS !

:D

• matty8199 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

YESSSS !

:D

I wish DirecTV Sups would not be such hard headed and understand this simple concept

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

I wish DirecTV Sups would not be such hard headed and understand this simple concept

Most of them only know what they have been told by someone else so if its not orange they think its going to "burn out" or something crazy.  

#8 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

Most of them only know what they have been told by someone else so if its not orange they think its going to "burn out" or something crazy.

I've seen barrels fail many times in past with Dish equipment but very rarely with DTV, not sure reason for difference.

But agreed many of the policies are based on what's been told to them not because they understand the whys. DTV changing to the unique orange color away from Blue is strictly to be different than other companies so DTV QC techs can verify barrels were changed by a DTV tech and known to meet spec vs a possible 3rd party blue barrel still being there that may or may not (but almost definitely does) meet specs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:53 PM

I can help but laugh every time I hear that....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

I've seen barrels fail many times in past with Dish equipment but very rarely with DTV, not sure reason for difference.

Fail as in "was working and quit", or fail as in "never working properly even when brand new"? It is hard to imagine how a barrel could fail, unless it was damaged or had a manufacturing defect so it couldn't capture the center conductor of the coax properly.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#11 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Fail as in "was working and quit", or fail as in "never working properly even when brand new"? It is hard to imagine how a barrel could fail, unless it was damaged or had a manufacturing defect so it couldn't capture the center conductor of the coax properly.

"Was working and quit" at least 10 service calls where that was case for Dish, can't think of one like that for DTV and I've done DTV twice as long as Dish.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 11:45 PM

And all they replaced was the barrel connectors?  That doesnt really make much sense to be honest...

#13 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:12 AM

so, i had my genie installed yesterday (new build home) and the tech replaced my wall plate connectors with high-frequency ones...but he used just regular barrels so the wire is just hanging from the wall rather than sitting in the keystone plate. 

For your reading pleasures... Is it better to use barrels on your wall plates or just run the cable straight through? (Solid Signal Blog)

Insightful comments from fellow staff member VOS are also included.  :grin:  :)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:30 AM

For your reading pleasures... Is it better to use barrels on your wall plates or just run the cable straight through? (Solid Signal Blog)

Insightful comments from fellow staff member VOS are also included. :grin: :)

VOS mentions on that thread that there is stress on the cable if the barrel is not used. I really think is the other way around, there can be more stress with the barrel specially if is behind a furniture as there had to be more space to compensate for the barrel and connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

VOS mentions..

You may want to reread the article.

A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Most of them know not to do what they've been back-charged for doing previously.

Both ampacity and frequency can be issues in some circumstances.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

VOS's argument of loss as a function of the length of the barrel is not sound. The issues are with "insertion loss" and "return loss" those have more to do with impedance matching, reflection and scattering as opposed to voltage drop.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 ONLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Most of them know not to do what they've been back-charged for doing previously.

The supervisors (who are the people to whom peds48 and west9999 are referring) are the people who are actually initiating the back-charging.

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

VOS mentions on that thread that there is stress on the cable if the barrel is not used. I really think is the other way around, there can be more stress with the barrel specially if is behind a furniture as there had to be more space to compensate for the barrel and connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's easily fixed with a right angle connector on the barrel, then you don't have to worry about the cable being stressed/damaged. Hopefully no one will push furniture against it hard enough to break the barrel or 90* connector.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

VOS's argument of loss as a function of the length of the barrel is not sound. The issues are with "insertion loss" and "return loss" those have more to do with impedance matching, reflection and scattering as opposed to voltage drop.

adding 2 cents:

and physically the two cuts of polypropylene around central wire will create two air gaps - here is the catch: impedance changed four times there,

so it will creat a loss and reflections on sat signals;perhaps that .5 dB at each connection

while the barrel itself could show 1/10 loss in lab tests, when that expensive connectors made precisely to eliminate/reduce measurement's error

Protected By... spam firewall...And...