Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cinema Connection Kit Problems (Wired)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:37 AM

I currently have the following equipment - 1-Genie HD-DVR HR44-200  in living room, 2-H21-200 in bedroom. My desktop computer with Verizon modem is hardwired in a second bedroom. Connected to the modem is an older Cinema Connection Kit which is plugged into the power outlet and simply has an ethernet cable running from the kit to the modem, nothing else.

Several days ago I lost the internet connection to my desktop. After calling Verizon and being told that all signals were strong they decided to replace my modem. I hooked it up and had the same issue, no internet connection on my desktop. Through trial and error I removed the ethernet cable from the CCK to the modem and my internet was back and working. Plugged it back in and the internet was down again. So now while I have internet access (with ethernet cable no longer plugged into the modem) I no longer have download capability. Is it simply that the CCK box is fried? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,616 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

What's the model number of your CCK?  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:22 AM

Front of the unit reads: TII network technologies Turbo 85 and the back reads: HPTURBOWALL. There is also a MAC# and a DEC# but no model # anywhere on the unit.

#4 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Here's what it looks like:

A1C4EBBF_zps54eb5257.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

That's not a CCK.  It's a powerline adapter.  It allows you to use your home electrical wiring to send data rather than using Ethernet.

#6 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

That's not a CCK.  It's a powerline adapter.  It allows you to use your home electrical wiring to send data rather than using Ethernet.

Ok. I do notice that when plugged in the Powerline Link light is off and the Ethernet Link light flashes green. Is this the source of my internet and VOD problems?

#7 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

Very  likely from what I have read. Never had Powerline myself. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

I understand that DirecTv no longer supports Powerline. Considering the equipment that I have and the rooms they are situated in, what are my options?

#9 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:46 AM

Since you have a HR44 it has built in WiFi support, do you have a WiFi router and can the signal reach from there to the HR44? If yes why not give that a shot?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:09 PM

Also there should be two of those power line units. We don't have the full Picture yet of how your system is wired. You will want to unplug both.

#11 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Since you have a HR44 it has built in WiFi support, do you have a WiFi router and can the signal reach from there to the HR44? If yes why not give that a shot?

If not, you stated that you have two H21's "in bedroom".  Does that mean that one of them is in the second bedroom, where the Fios modem is?  If that's the case, then you should easily be able to add a "real" CCK (either wired or wireless) in the second bedroom.

#12 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

It's about 30 feet from the router to the HR44.

#13 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

If not, you stated that you have two H21's "in bedroom".  Does that mean that one of them is in the second bedroom, where the Fios modem is?  If that's the case, then you should easily be able to add a "real" CCK (either wired or wireless) in the second bedroom.

I only have one H21 in a bedroom. The HR44 is in the living room and the desktop computer is in a third room.

#14 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

It worked! The first try was unsuccessful because one of the Powerlines was still plugged in. I unplugged the unit, went through the process a second time and got connected. To everyone who responded to my dilemma, thank you very much. The folks on this forum are the best.

#15 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

Awesome! Glad you got it "wired"... (pun intended, you got it 'unwired'!). 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Awesome! Glad you got it "wired"... (pun intended, you got it 'unwired'!).

Well, my enthusiasm was short lived. I attempted to download a 30 minute show and after 13% of the download was completed I got a message that the connection was lost. I went through the process a second time and now it shows "Internet not detected". I can see that the wireless option is not going to work. When I had the wired connection (since 2008) I never had this problem once until this week. So, what do I need to revert back to a wired connection to the internet considering that the Powerline option is no longer available?

Edited by SemperFi, 11 April 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

Well, my enthusiasm was short lived. I attempted to download a 30 minute show and after 13% of the download was completed I got a message that the connection was lost. I went through the process a second time and now it shows "Internet not detected". I can see that the wireless option is not going to work. When I had the wired connection (since 2008) I never had this problem once until this week. So, what do I need to revert back to a wired connection to the internet considering that the Powerline option is no longer available?

call DirecTV and have them install a DECA Broadband adapter or run an ethernet cable to the Genie 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 07:44 PM

call DirecTV and have them install a DECA Broadband adapter or run an ethernet cable to the Genie

Do both of those options require a cable from the room where the computer modem is located. If so, I know my wife isn't going to like another wire running 30 feet through the house.

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,962 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

Do both of those options require a cable from the room where the computer modem is located.

Yep

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   SemperFi

SemperFi

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

I'll probably be getting a new HD TV for the room with the computer in a few weeks. Can the wired CCK be installed on a non DVR HD receiver to regain my internet access since I have the Genie in different room? I don't know what the latest model is these days, maybe the H25.

Edited by SemperFi, 12 April 2014 - 06:37 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...