Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Inactive 722 and EHD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chickmag

chickmag

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

Couldn't find an answer to this one although I'm sure it's been asked before:

Can I buy a used 722 for our cottage and simply transport my EHD (normally connected to my active 722) between residences to watch recorded programs at the cottage? I don't want/need to use the 722 at the cottage to watch any live programming. (OTA coverage is fine.) I bought a Sling but it doesn't work well because the Internet connection is sporadic.

Thanks,

Mike

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:12 PM

The 722 would have to be connected to your account, thus connected to a dish and be able to connect to a satellite to verify your account. So, yes it could work, but not in the manner you are wanting it to.

#3 OFFLINE   chickmag

chickmag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Yeah and connecting it to my account would break the terms of the agreement as I understand it, so that's a no-go.

Thanks!

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

well, there is 'a solution' - activate it at home, then take the 722 with you, perhaps calling CSR and informing you're travel in RV

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

You can setup a snowbird account, which allows you to switch between your 2 locations as often as you like.  You can take the receiver from 1 location to the other. Please let me know if you have questions.  Thanks.

Yeah and connecting it to my account would break the terms of the agreement as I understand it, so that's a no-go.

Thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   chickmag

chickmag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hi Ray:

Thanks for the post. It would be unwieldy to disconnect and reconnect the existing 722 every weekend. (Not gonna ask my wife to attempt that!) That's why I was hoping I could buy a used 722 and do it that way.

Thanks though,

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

man, are you reading all posts ? ;)

Spoiler

#8 OFFLINE   chickmag

chickmag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi Paul:

Oh, now I understand! I have 3 x 211's and a 722 already on my account. Can an RV be added or does Dish still limit an account to 4 receivers?

Thanks,

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

Leased equipment is limited to 6 tuners in any combination of receivers.  You can have purchased receivers along with leased on an account.  If you wanted to leave a purchased receiver at your cottage, you can activate/deactivate the receiver as needed with the Snowbird setup.  Thanks.

Hi Paul:

Oh, now I understand! I have 3 x 211's and a 722 already on my account. Can an RV be added or does Dish still limit an account to 4 receivers?

Thanks,

#10 OFFLINE   chickmag

chickmag

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:29 PM

Hi Ray:

So maybe we are getting somewhere then. So I purchase a 722, add it to may account and i) leave it always enabled at $7 per month, or ii) do the Snowbird thing... If I use the cottage every weekend, does it make any sense to activate/deactivate every weekend? That really wouldn't buy me anything, right? But if I leave it deactivated during winter, then I save the $7 per month?

Thanks again,

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

The Snowbird account allows you to use your receivers at 2 different locations whenever you want.  To setup the Snowbird account, you setup a DISH mover to install the dish at the second location.  Once installed, you can move the receivers from one location to the other as often as needed. 

A purchased receiver can be activated and deactivated any time you want.  An additional 722 receiver is $17 per month, not $7.  You cannot have the service working at both locations at the same time.  Please let me know if you have further questions.  Thanks.

Hi Ray:

So maybe we are getting somewhere then. So I purchase a 722, add it to may account and i) leave it always enabled at $7 per month, or ii) do the Snowbird thing... If I use the cottage every weekend, does it make any sense to activate/deactivate every weekend? That really wouldn't buy me anything, right? But if I leave it deactivated during winter, then I save the $7 per month?

Thanks again,

Protected By... spam firewall...And...