Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB compatibility with various Direct TV receivers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   craig281

craig281

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

Greetings.  Direct TV just installed two SD receivers (D12MP-700) and a slimline dish with a SL3S4NR5-01 LNB.  They work great.  As an experiment I tried to hook one of the receivers up to a ten year old Direct TV 18 inch dish which has a BSNA5-501 LNB.  The signal strength meter I had in the line indicated a strong signal when I was pointing the dish to 101 degrees west but the receiver said there was no signal.  So I guess my first question is whether the two LNBs are not compatible.

I am familiar with LNB technology that converts the DBS Ku band (12.2-12.7 GHz) down to 950-1450 MHz which goes down the RG6 coax into the receiver.  Does anyone here have the technical details for the typical LNBs in use today?  Is the IF frequency still only 950 to 1450 or has it gotten more complicated?  Are the LNBs changing polarization?  I remember that the Free to Air fixed satellite service LNBs (11.7 - 12.2 GHz) had to switch between vertical and horizontal polarization.

Thanks for any details you can share with me

Craig in Houston Texas

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

There are two totally different technologies in use today.  One is the legacy "multiswitch" technology which the 18" round dish uses. The other is Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) which I believe your new dish uses.  It is a real pain in the posterior to get a receiver to switch back and forth between the two technologies, but the D12 is capable of running on both.  Hook the d12 up to the 18" dish, then go through satellite setup and select multiswitch, then the 18" dish. You might have to go through the procedure more than once.

The Slimline dish also has access to two newer satellites that the older dish does not. These are in the 99 and 103 degree orbital slots. The D12 does not access those satellites, and they only serve HD programming.  More info on dish and LNB at this link:

http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:52 PM

just run setup again, select proper dish/switch config and your D12 will show all SD (only) channels from 101W and EPG data

Edited by P Smith, 11 April 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   craig281

craig281

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 12 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

You guys gave great advice!

I hooked up and pointed the 18 inch dish to 101 degrees west with a power inserter and a signal strength meter in the line

On the receiver, to configure for the 18 inch dish, I did the following:

Pushed the "menu" button on the remote

then selected "parental, fav's, setup"

then selected "system setup"\

then selected "satellite"

then selected "repeat satellite setup"

then I set the switch type to "02: multi switch"  ( you must make this selection first or you won't be able to select the 18 inch dish)

then I set the dish type to "01: round (18")

The receiver then said that it could only see the odd channels

so I deduced that the power inverter was not the right way to put DC power on the RG6 coax

because voltage stepping is how many receivers tell the LNBs how to switch polaraziation

So I disconnected the power inserter and connected the RG6 directly between the dish LNB and the receiver

then I ran the dish setup again and it worked great!  The receiver is now putting out DC voltage on the RG6 to the LNB

which means there is no need for a power inserter.

I now have one of my receivers running on a slimline dish and the other on an old 18 inch dish

Thanks guys for your great advice.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

You guys gave great advice!

I hooked up and pointed the 18 inch dish to 101 degrees west with a power inserter and a signal strength meter in the line

Let's hope you didn't not fried the LNB by connecting the PI inline.  PI is only used for SWM LNBs as they need more power than a receiver can put out 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,567 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Let's hope you didn't not fried the LNB by connecting the PI inline.  PI is only used for SWM LNBs as they need more power than a receiver can put out 

A 21 volt PI couldn't damage anything, as Sonora's PI6S already puts 20 volts on the 18v lines.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

don't worry ... if you will look inside of LNBF one time, you'll see a VR there ;)

#8 OFFLINE   craig281

craig281

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHouston Texas

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

I have been switching back and forth between my Slimline Dish and my old round 18 inch dish several times now and lately something interesting is happening.  The receiver was set for the old round 18 inch dish this morning and it was working great.  This afternoon I hooked it up to the slimline dish and when I went to the configuration page it automatically sensed that it was now connected to a swm system and reconfigured itself with no input from me.  I don't recall this happening before but maybe I missed that little detail. So far it has never automatically sensed that it was connected to the old round dish so I have had to select it manually. 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have been switching back and forth between my Slimline Dish and my old round 18 inch dish several times now and lately something interesting is happening.  The receiver was set for the old round 18 inch dish this morning and it was working great.  This afternoon I hooked it up to the slimline dish and when I went to the configuration page it automatically sensed that it was now connected to a swm system and reconfigured itself with no input from me.  I don't recall this happening before but maybe I missed that little detail. So far it has never automatically sensed that it was connected to the old round dish so I have had to select it manually. 

SWM overrides any settings.  it does not work the other way around 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...