Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2/Q3-14 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

fuseHD

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Fuse may soon be changing formats...

From Wiki: On April 4, 2014, it was reported that the channel was sold to SiTV Media for $226 million and will be merged with Latin themed channel nuvoTV in late 2014.[5]   http://en.wikipedia....se_(TV_channel)

NuvoTV is an American cable television network based in Glendale, California. The network's origins date back to 1997, when American entrepreneurs Jeff Valdez and Bruce Barshop established Sí TV as a production company to develop, produce and distribute original English-language, Latino entertainment. Their production, Nickelodeon's The Brothers García, made television history as the first English-language sitcom with an all-Latino cast and creative team of writers, directors and producers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuvoTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:53 PM

Fuse may soon be changing formats...

From Wiki: On April 4, 2014, it was reported that the channel was sold to SiTV Media for $226 million and will be merged with Latin themed channel nuvoTV in late 2014.[5] http://en.wikipedia....se_(TV_channel)
NuvoTV is an American cable television network based in Glendale, California. The network's origins date back to 1997, when American entrepreneurs Jeff Valdez and Bruce Barshop established Sí TV as a production company to develop, produce and distribute original English-language, Latino entertainment. Their production, Nickelodeon's The Brothers García, made television history as the first English-language sitcom with an all-Latino cast and creative team of writers, directors and producers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NuvoTV

Maybe a Latin-based music channel

Sent from my iPhone

#23 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 567 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Al Jazeera, Sundance, OuterMAX, Encore feeds in HD and I'm good.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#24 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

http://www.deadline....o-chiller-syfy/

Maybe Chiller HD will show up on more systems or at least take over fearnet HD slots.

Edited by JoeTheDragon, 16 April 2014 - 07:20 PM.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#25 OFFLINE   Robin112

Robin112

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

Fox deportes hd
  • TravelFan1, mrsdrgn and daniloni like this

#26 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 AM

Fox deportes hd

+1

• daniloni likes this

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#27 OFFLINE   Soccernut

Soccernut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

+1

+2
  • daniloni likes this

#28 OFFLINE   CockerKingdom

CockerKingdom

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

I second the motion!

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

I agree also! Done!! :goodjob:

#29 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

OuterMAX HD

Sent from my iPhone

#30 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:00 PM

More Encore Channels in HD on Directv Please

Sent from my iPhone

#31 OFFLINE   gman0661

gman0661

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:01 PM

Can someone please tell me what is it going to take for directv to add the Blaze, GOLTV HD,  FOX ESP HD. I also got a email about some changes in the Spanish channels.

I have had directv since 1993 and at this time cablevision of long island has more hd channels and adding more ever month. the only reason I stay with directv is the pic n sound is 100x better than cable

#32 OFFLINE   gman0661

gman0661

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'm also soooo tried of hearing about this satellite that has to be launch to get more HD channels. They keep raising my bill for nothing new. No Pac 12 no Long Horn no Sec channel and no LA Dodgers. They give u dogtv, weather nation and Al Jeezer and el ray but nothing most people want. It might be time for a change. how is the pic n sound on Verizon  

#33 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,134 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm also soooo tried of hearing about this satellite that has to be launch to get more HD channels. They keep raising my bill for nothing new. No Pac 12 no Long Horn no Sec channel and no LA Dodgers. They give u dogtv, weather nation and Al Jeezer and el ray but nothing most people want.

The channels you listed are contractual disputes and have almost nothing to do with bandwidth. (Although Pac-12's 7 channels will be a lot bandwidth wise since it isn't like BTN where the other feeds are only used during football and basketball season, they frequently have regional content) Heck in the case of TWC SportsNet LA NO ONE has it outside of TWC (and of course Brighthouse) since it's a channel that shouldn't even exist and was created out of nothing but greed by the Dodgers and TWC who dangled the offer of a team specific RSN with guaranteed coverage on their system to win the bidding war against Fox Sports. Now they want other providers to pay $5 per subscriber to cover their rediculous bid when they could have easily added the games to TWC SportsNet since there's very little overlap between the Dodgers and Lakers seasons.

WeatherNation was a result of the dispute with Weather Channel and bandwidth wise took the place of one of the PPV movie channels. (The final result was that Weather Channel is now in Choice or higher while WeatherNation is the weather network available in all of the packages) Very few HD PPV Movie channels are actually 365 days a year, the bulk of them are just filler between seasonal sports packages and some is reserved space in the event they come to terms with a channel before D14 goes live like missing RSNs and future launches where, barring some major impass with ESPN, will be coming at the next renewal later this year like Longhorn and SEC.

The rest of those channels are only in SD on DirecTV and have nothing to do with HD bandwidth, while Al Jazeera America was a rebrand of CurrentTV (which itself was a rebrand of Newsworld International). And just because you don't watch something doesn't mean others don't either. There's an entire thread in the TV forum dedicated to El Rey's original series From Dusk to Dawn, several threads about WeatherNation, including many users praising them for actually having weather 24/7 and focusing on the entire country as opposed to the other weather channel which ignores the entire country for days if it's going to snow more than an inch in a major east coast or midwest city, while DogTV is a subscription channel so only those who want it are subscribing. (Not to mention the previous quarter's thread had multiple people asking for these channels in HD)

Satellite launches require coordination from multiple international regulatory bodies, it isn't something that can happen right away along with the time it takes to build a satellite after the slot and frequencies are approved. It isn't like cable where they can free up space by doing things like eliminating analog service and implement off the shelf technology like switched video that only delivers the channels that the people in that specific hub or node are watching at a given time. So they have several choices, wait until D14 goes live and save whatever space they have left for special cases that might arise in before it goes live (i.e. WeatherNation, SEC, Longhorn, RSNs, etc) or start over compressing the existing channels and squeeze in as many channels as possible. Another option would be to eliminate SD service entirely, but by the time they complete the nationwide truck rolls to swap out the remaining 18 inch and Phase 3 dishes along with every non MPEG4 receiver, D15 will probably be in service.

Edited by KyL416, 22 April 2014 - 12:32 AM.

• fleckrj likes this

#34 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Can someone please tell me what is it going to take for directv to add the Blaze, GOLTV HD,  FOX ESP HD. I also got a email about some changes in the Spanish channels.

I have had directv since 1993 and at this time cablevision of long island has more hd channels and adding more ever month. the only reason I stay with directv is the pic n sound is 100x better than cable

If DirecTV compressed their channels to add as many HD channels as Cablevision has, the picture quality would be as poor as Cablevision's.  I would prefer to have high quality pictures on the channels we have and forego some of the niche channels like Blaze, GolTV, and Fox Esp. 

With BeIN picking up La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Copa del Rey, South American World Cup Qualifier and English Championship matches and NBC picking up Major League Soccer and the English Premier League, there is nothing left on GolTV except the Bundesliga (which they do not even broadcast in German).

I am not sure what you mean by Fox ESP.  Fox España is only available in Spain.  Fox Deportes does not have anything that is not already available on another channel.

I prefer to keep the high quality HD on the channels we have than to lower the picture quality to add every channel just because it exists..

#35 OFFLINE   soccertvblog

soccertvblog

• Registered
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

fleckrj, on 22 Apr 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Fox Deportes does not have anything that is not already available on another channel.

Actually they do: the Libertadores Cup. The South American equivalent to the Champions League.

Fox Deportes definitely on the top of my list for HD!!!

• Bronxiniowa likes this

#36 OFFLINE   mrsdrgn

mrsdrgn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

If DirecTV compressed their channels to add as many HD channels as Cablevision has, the picture quality would be as poor as Cablevision's.  I would prefer to have high quality pictures on the channels we have and forego some of the niche channels like Blaze, GolTV, and Fox Esp. 

With BeIN picking up La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Copa del Rey, South American World Cup Qualifier and English Championship matches and NBC picking up Major League Soccer and the English Premier League, there is nothing left on GolTV except the Bundesliga (which they do not even broadcast in German).

I am not sure what you mean by Fox ESP.  Fox España is only available in Spain.  Fox Deportes does not have anything that is not already available on another channel.

I prefer to keep the high quality HD on the channels we have than to lower the picture quality to add every channel just because it exists..

GolTV has more than just the German League. They also have Argentinian, Brazilian, Uruguayan, leagues. 

Fox Deportes has the Copa Libertadores which is equal to the Uefa. 

I for one am also subscribed to U-Verse TV and they do carry this 2 in HD. If D would add them I would cancel my U-Verse. 

#37 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

One World Sports.I'm enjoying the KHL finals,Nippon Baseball and now the home of England cricket on Dishworld would enjoy having it on Directv also.I also noticed Beinsportslay.tv is now available for Directv customers.Now we need watchespn.

#38 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:27 AM

I'm also soooo tried of hearing about this satellite that has to be launch to get more HD channels. They keep raising my bill for nothing new. No Pac 12 no Long Horn no Sec channel and no LA Dodgers. They give u dogtv, weather nation and Al Jeezer and el ray but nothing most people want. It might be time for a change. how is the pic n sound on Verizon  

Is there even a TV provider in the country that doesn't raise their rates on a yearly basis? Every cable provider I've ever been with has raised their prices a little each year or two. Your argument is invalid, it's like saying you're going to stop driving Chevy's because the price of gas keeps going up. 

Welcome to the forum, I'd suggest learning how and why things work before just coming online to complain about things. 

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

To be perfectly honest, most people have the channels they want. Yes, there are some vocal customers about certain channels, either ones they want added or dropped, but they are not in the majority.

#40 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,134 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:30 PM

Is there even a TV provider in the country that doesn't raise their rates on a yearly basis? Every cable provider I've ever been with has raised their prices a little each year or two.

Not to mention those channels they're asking for are some of the more expensive channels compared to others which are less than 75 cents per subscriber. I wonder what their reaction would be to the price increase we would have got if DirecTV just bent over and took the asking price for all of those sports channels to carry them on day one.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...