Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2/Q3-14 Thread)

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 564 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

I'm also soooo tried of hearing about this satellite that has to be launch to get more HD channels. They keep raising my bill for nothing new. No Pac 12 no Long Horn no Sec channel and no LA Dodgers. They give u dogtv, weather nation and Al Jeezer and el ray but nothing most people want. It might be time for a change. how is the pic n sound on Verizon

The SEC channel isn't on yet, so I wouldn't give up hope yet. Everyone is entitled to their own wants, but as far as the others you mentioned, I'd prefer El Rey in HD to any or all of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • DJZack likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   oriolesmagic

oriolesmagic

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMD

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

While some contractual obligations exist that prevent channels being added (This is definitely the case for ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer Beater HD, Longhorn Network HD and the upcoming SEC Network HD), the reality is that cable in many areas has caught up and exceeded HD content to DirecTV. While quality can be disputed from area to area due to compression, amount of local channels, international programming, etc.

DirecTV has hung their hat on sports, and many of the recent sports channels are not being found on DirecTV. It's certainly disputable if many of these should exist, the most egregious being the aforementioned SportsNet LA, a needless RSN that's causing a black out of Dodgers games for Southern California. But there's something now in almost every region that's suppressing customers in these areas. No Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia/Houston/Northwest. No Pac-12 Network. No SportsNet LA. If DirecTV loses Sunday Ticket exclusivity (and I think it's coming at the very least in the form of an MLB.tv like product for the NFL), they're going to have little to hang their hat on with sports. And sports are one of the few things driving people to subscribe to cable programming, as more options go over-the-top and people go back to antennas.

While DirecTV's HD content is superior to Comcast, it's debatable depending on the channels with just about any other cable company. DirecTV loses to Charter, Bright House and probably Time Warner. You can debate it on Cox and Cablevision as both have their holes.

Some HD channels like WE HD, Esquire HD, Sprout HD, TV One HD and Fuse HD have been on cable systems in HD for as much as 5 years now, and are still not found on DirecTV. Since AMC HD and IFC HD have been added in that time period, it's not contractual there, but bandwidth concerns.

What DirecTV probably should do (and they won't) is to get rid of SD feeds, downconvert the HD feeds for SD subscribers (which is what Time Warner Cable is doing on its new lineups), and repurpose that spectrum for additional HD channels. Unlike cable where many boxes are not MPEG-4 capable, DirecTV has been using MPEG-4 for quite a while.

#43 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,917 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:46 PM

What DirecTV probably should do (and they won't) is to get rid of SD feeds, downconvert the HD feeds for SD subscribers (which is what Time Warner Cable is doing on its new lineups), and repurpose that spectrum for additional HD channels. Unlike cable where many boxes are not MPEG-4 capable, DirecTV has been using MPEG-4 for quite a while.

The thing is DirecTV is nationwide, it isn't like cable where they can do it on a system by system basis. Doing that would involve nationwide truck rolls to replace all the 18inch and phase 3 dishes that are still to this day being used in SD only installs, as well as replacing every single non-MPEG4 receiver. Cable didn't really need truck rolls as the external wiring remained the same, and outside of the really non-tech or disabled subscribers they could pick up their own digital boxes at their local walk in center and install it themselves. By the time they do that, barring any disaster like the satellite exploding at launch, D14 will be in service and it will be a moot point when it comes to HD additions.

The recent receiver swap related to the ending of MPG guide stream would have been a place to start a transition, however the free replacements were D1x and R1x receivers, if they wanted an H2x, HR2x or a Genie it would have been an upgrade and start a new commitment. The first sign of an all MPEG4 transition will be when DirecTV stops offering new D1x and R1x receviers on their site along with no longer activating MPEG2 only receivers.

In the mean time though, DirecTV has added a LOT of HD on demand content from broadcasters like A&E, Scripps, Comcast and Viacom after those contracts were renewed in the past few years.

Edited by KyL416, 22 April 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:18 PM

Second quarter wishes:

1) RFD-TV (HD)...as usual

2) A soccer package (a la Sunday Ticked or MLB; one price fits all)

In reference to #2, what were you thinking? There is UEFA, EPL, and whatever is on 479 sometimes for free now. You can add MLS Direct Kick or Directv Deportes and get most of the remaining soccer games. There are still a good number of soccer games on the remaining 400s channels, and FSP - where you thinking of access to those games, too? (Without needing to buy the rest of the content on the channels?) That would make sense to me!

Can someone please tell me what is it going to take for directv to add the Blaze, GOLTV HD,  FOX ESP HD. I also got a email about some changes in the Spanish channels.

I have had directv since 1993 and at this time cablevision of long island has more hd channels and adding more ever month. the only reason I stay with directv is the pic n sound is 100x better than cable

Since GolTV used to be HD and no longer is - I assume it would take a lot for it to come back. Are there other examples of Directv downgrading a channel like that?

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#45 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

While DirecTV's HD content is superior to Comcast, it's debatable depending on the channels with just about any other cable company. DirecTV loses to Charter, Bright House and probably Time Warner. You can debate it on Cox and Cablevision as both have their holes.

I can tell you from a former charter subscriber that they don't have a better picture quality than directv. I can also tell you that my parents have bright house and the HD quality is horrible. Pixelation like you wouldn't believe.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#46 OFFLINE   gman0661

gman0661

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

thank you !!!!  Goltv has more than just the German league, it was in hd for years. I know Bein sports has pretty much taken all there main programing but if u remember the French n Italian league was on fox soccer before bein sports bought the rights . I also know there are channels that others enjoy that I have no interest in but when u speak to a customers service rep at Directv and the most requested new channels are the Blazetv, Pac 12  and Epic movie channels. I think its time for them to listen to there customers. The only reason I can think of is that Fox sports will start carrying the German league n MLS IN 2015. That's way they wont add Goltv in Hd. I enjoy the debate please commit and tell me what u think.

#47 OFFLINE   gman0661

gman0661

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

I also just got genie to go. Than one month later the genie 2 comes out. Is there a big difference or not

#48 OFFLINE   AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:11 AM

The rest of those channels are only in SD on DirecTV and have nothing to do with HD bandwidth, while Al Jazeera America was a rebrand of CurrentTV (which itself was a rebrand of Newsworld International). And just because you don't watch something doesn't mean others don't either.

Exactly. Al Jazeera America even in SD is one of my most watched channels right now and and sits proudly in my Quick Tune listings. Henceforth it's certainly in my wish list for channels to be added in HD on DirecTV. But I also understand that it's not a highly in demand channel to be added in HD. Not to mention between waiting for the next sat to launch and DirecTV probably waiting for the existing contract from the CurrentTV/Newsworld days to be done with before renegotiating with Al Jazeera as well that I'm thankful to have the channel in SD at this time.

The funny thing is I've seen ads for Al Jazeera America on other channels in HD. Which is really odd to see a channel only in SD right now yet ads being run for it in HD.

#49 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:14 AM

The funny thing is I've seen ads for Al Jazeera America on other channels in HD. Which is really odd to see a channel only in SD right now yet ads being run for it in HD.

That used to happen all of the time with the Scripts networks.  Cooking Channel and DIY were offered in HD, ads for programs on those networks were in HD on Food Network and HGTV. 

Everything will be in HD by 2016, but I do not expect more than two or three new HD channels between now and February of 2015.

#50 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

That used to happen all of the time with the Scripts networks.  Cooking Channel and DIY were offered in HD, ads for programs on those networks were in HD on Food Network and HGTV. 

Everything will be in HD by 2016, but I do not expect more than two or three new HD channels between now and February of 2015.

And your bill will be sky high. Who needs Cooking Channel?

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#51 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Well some people who subscribe to DirecTV are not here for the sports and do like other channels like Food and Cooking. Also while we are talking about picture comparisons, how does Verizon Fios stack up to D* since its fiber?

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#52 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

The Cooking Channel has been on DirecTV since it replaced Fine Living Network on May 31, 2010.  The point of my post was that ads for the channel were in HD on other channels long before Cooking Channel was offered in HD on DirecTV.  DirecTV has had Cooking Channel in HD since January 31, 2013.

#53 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

We're kind playing the sports waiting game ourselves.  We're due to move in mid-July, and unless DirecTV has at least signed Pac12, SEC and Longhorn by then, it's hello Charlie Ergen and bye bye Direct.

#54 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

We're kind playing the sports waiting game ourselves.  We're due to move in mid-July, and unless DirecTV has at least signed Pac12, SEC and Longhorn by then, it's hello Charlie Ergen and bye bye Direct.

You'll be switching - P12 isn't coming.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,619 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I just don't think Directv have limited bandwidth for HD channel's, That's been argued before, because they been adding a few although unnecessary HD channel's, Either there preparing for something, or price is a factor,
Hey commercial ad space cost money as also future D14 satellite in 4 Qt 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,978 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I just don't think Directv have limited bandwidth for HD channel's, That's been argued before, because they been adding a few although unnecessary HD channel's, Either there preparing for something, or price is a factor,
Hey commercial ad space cost money as also future D14 satellite in 4 Qt 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv has been able to add a limited number of HD channels by switching to new encoders which can handle 6 HD channels per transponder instead of 5.  If they haven't used all of these, they must be very close by now.  They are also maxed out on the MPEG2 SD channels on 101.  The only ways to add more channels (without downgrading picture quality) would be to convert these MPEG2 transponders to MPEG4, which would require switching out receivers for all SD-only customers at considerable cost.  This will probably happen at some time but not until many more of those customers have upgraded to HD, reducing the cost to Directv.  Hopefully, in less than a year D14 will be online and this issue will no longer exist.

#57 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

directv also does a better job with overflows and alt feeds no channel hunting (even better with the new XXX-X numbering) and more HD then cable systems.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#58 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

Love to see Sundance HD

Sent from my iPhone

#59 OFFLINE   BLMN

BLMN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthern NH

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

thank you !!!!  Goltv has more than just the German league, it was in hd for years. I know Bein sports has pretty much taken all there main programing but if u remember the French n Italian league was on fox soccer before bein sports bought the rights . I also know there are channels that others enjoy that I have no interest in but when u speak to a customers service rep at Directv and the most requested new channels are the Blazetv, Pac 12  and Epic movie channels. I think its time for them to listen to there customers. The only reason I can think of is that Fox sports will start carrying the German league n MLS IN 2015. That's way they wont add Goltv in Hd. I enjoy the debate please commit and tell me what u think.

It has something to do with the addition of BeIN Sports. I remember they dropped GolTVHD right before BeIN Sports came in. Maybe it was just a business decision made by DTV, GolTV was not price wise and/or content worth to keep in HD or BeIN forced DTV to drop GolTVHD when signed, we never know.

TV Models: Mitsubishi WD-65C9, WD-82738 + 3DC-1000 Kit.

TV Provider: Directv (Slimline 5 Dish + World Direct Dish), Cinema Connection Kit (Wired), 2 HR24-500 Receivers

Gaming/Blu-ray: PS3 First Gen (FAT) 60GB, PS4 Launch Edition

Streaming: Roku 2 XS

Audio/DVD: Onkyo HTS-9400THX, Oppo DV-980H

#60 ONLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,164 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

I can tell you from a former charter subscriber that they don't have a better picture quality than directv. I can also tell you that my parents have bright house and the HD quality is horrible. Pixelation like you wouldn't believe.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

i also have bhn beside dtv. while their pq isn't nearly as good as dtv, it certainly isn't the worse i have seen. and this is on a 64 inch sammy plasma.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...