Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2/Q3-14 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
571 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

And your bill will be sky high. Who needs Cooking Channel?

Well some people who subscribe to DirecTV are not here for the sports and do like other channels like Food and Cooking. Also while we are talking about picture comparisons, how does Verizon Fios stack up to D* since its fiber?

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700
All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#52 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

And your bill will be sky high. Who needs Cooking Channel?

The Cooking Channel has been on DirecTV since it replaced Fine Living Network on May 31, 2010.  The point of my post was that ads for the channel were in HD on other channels long before Cooking Channel was offered in HD on DirecTV.  DirecTV has had Cooking Channel in HD since January 31, 2013.

#53 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:51 PM

We're kind playing the sports waiting game ourselves.  We're due to move in mid-July, and unless DirecTV has at least signed Pac12, SEC and Longhorn by then, it's hello Charlie Ergen and bye bye Direct.

#54 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,367 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:19 PM

We're kind playing the sports waiting game ourselves.  We're due to move in mid-July, and unless DirecTV has at least signed Pac12, SEC and Longhorn by then, it's hello Charlie Ergen and bye bye Direct.

You'll be switching - P12 isn't coming.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

I just don't think Directv have limited bandwidth for HD channel's, That's been argued before, because they been adding a few although unnecessary HD channel's, Either there preparing for something, or price is a factor,
Hey commercial ad space cost money as also future D14 satellite in 4 Qt 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,322 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I just don't think Directv have limited bandwidth for HD channel's, That's been argued before, because they been adding a few although unnecessary HD channel's, Either there preparing for something, or price is a factor,
Hey commercial ad space cost money as also future D14 satellite in 4 Qt 2014.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv has been able to add a limited number of HD channels by switching to new encoders which can handle 6 HD channels per transponder instead of 5.  If they haven't used all of these, they must be very close by now.  They are also maxed out on the MPEG2 SD channels on 101.  The only ways to add more channels (without downgrading picture quality) would be to convert these MPEG2 transponders to MPEG4, which would require switching out receivers for all SD-only customers at considerable cost.  This will probably happen at some time but not until many more of those customers have upgraded to HD, reducing the cost to Directv.  Hopefully, in less than a year D14 will be online and this issue will no longer exist.

#57 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

directv also does a better job with overflows and alt feeds no channel hunting (even better with the new XXX-X numbering) and more HD then cable systems.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#58 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:01 PM

Love to see Sundance HD

Sent from my iPhone

#59 OFFLINE   BLMN

BLMN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSouthern NH

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:34 AM

thank you !!!!  Goltv has more than just the German league, it was in hd for years. I know Bein sports has pretty much taken all there main programing but if u remember the French n Italian league was on fox soccer before bein sports bought the rights . I also know there are channels that others enjoy that I have no interest in but when u speak to a customers service rep at Directv and the most requested new channels are the Blazetv, Pac 12  and Epic movie channels. I think its time for them to listen to there customers. The only reason I can think of is that Fox sports will start carrying the German league n MLS IN 2015. That's way they wont add Goltv in Hd. I enjoy the debate please commit and tell me what u think.

It has something to do with the addition of BeIN Sports. I remember they dropped GolTVHD right before BeIN Sports came in. Maybe it was just a business decision made by DTV, GolTV was not price wise and/or content worth to keep in HD or BeIN forced DTV to drop GolTVHD when signed, we never know.

TV Models: Mitsubishi WD-65C9, WD-82738 + 3DC-1000 Kit.

TV Provider: Directv (Slimline 5 Dish + World Direct Dish), Cinema Connection Kit (Wired), 2 HR24-500 Receivers

Gaming/Blu-ray: PS3 First Gen (FAT) 60GB, PS4 Launch Edition

Streaming: Roku 2 XS

Audio/DVD: Onkyo HTS-9400THX, Oppo DV-980H

#60 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,211 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

I can tell you from a former charter subscriber that they don't have a better picture quality than directv. I can also tell you that my parents have bright house and the HD quality is horrible. Pixelation like you wouldn't believe.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

i also have bhn beside dtv. while their pq isn't nearly as good as dtv, it certainly isn't the worse i have seen. and this is on a 64 inch sammy plasma.

#61 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:16 PM

You'll be switching - P12 isn't coming.

Yea, I was afraid of that.  If I get the other two then it's a consideration to stay, depending on the money and if I get any hassle about my second dish for my no-longer-subscribed internationals.  But this company, while it's managed to keep picture quality up, is really falling behind on programming.

#62 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone know how many individual channels can be added in HD by DirecTV?

(Current status. And this is before the successful launch of D14. Whenever that will happen.)

#63 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

There's no real solid number. There are some transponders that didn't get bumped to 6 channels instead of 5 yet, however since the transponder maps don't show part time feeds, it could be a case of part time feeds not picked up unless the grab is done while they're live as well as some channels that can't be compressed more than they already are like channels with a lot of fast motion video. Some of it could also be reserved for things they knew about well in advanced that will launch before D14 goes live like, barring an impass, SEC and Longhorn when the deal with ESPN is renewed later this year.

Some HD PPV Movie channels can be replaced for special cases (i.e. WeatherNation as a result of the TWC dispute, the potential addition of missing RSNs or other things) Other HD PPV Movie channels are just ways of monetizing the part time feeds when not in use for for things like Sunday Ticket and extremely busy nights like the last day of the NBA's regular season where even the SD informercial channels go off the air for the night so the feeds can be offered to both SD and HD subscribers, while other HD PPV Movie channels are permanent because VOD requires an internet connected HRx so it's the only way DirecTV can provide the same day as DVD/Bluray movie premieres to all of their subscribers like digital cable does with VOD.

#64 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:28 PM

Someone at DTV management/marketing must have thought about this.  Why not offer a  full "Sportsman" or to be pc, a "Sportsperson" package.  This package primary intent is to provide programming far and above the current "sports pack."  Included for $???? a month a subscriber would get all current sports channels including SEC-TV, BTN, PAC12, LongHorn, MLB, NBA, NFL, ESPN, FOX Sports, Tennis, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Golf, Soccer, etc... (ST, EI or such would not be included)   A package like this would also include a few prime networks, TBS, TNT, TruTV All Locals and maybe a few news and weather channels.

It would allow for those who want more sports to pay and have their appetite satisfied and those who don't want such programming to avoid paying for unwanted content.

#65 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,330 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Someone at DTV management/marketing must have thought about this.  Why not offer a  full "Sportsman" or to be pc, a "Sportsperson" package.  This package primary intent is to provide programming far and above the current "sports pack."  Included for $???? a month a subscriber would get all current sports channels including SEC-TV, BTN, PAC12, LongHorn, MLB, NBA, NFL, ESPN, FOX Sports, Tennis, CBS Sports, NBC Sports, Golf, Soccer, etc... (ST, EI or such would not be included)   A package like this would also include a few prime networks, TBS, TNT, TruTV All Locals and maybe a few news and weather channels.

It would allow for those who want more sports to pay and have their appetite satisfied and those who don't want such programming to avoid paying for unwanted content.

the rights owners may not let them do that.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#66 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:39 PM

Don't know, but adding another programming package seems like it would be a DTV call.

#67 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,949 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Don't know, but adding another programming package seems like it would be a DTV call.

Nope. Contracts typically state what tier the channels go on.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,377 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

If the content providers do not provide the content there is nothing for DTV to sell.

Powerhouses like ESPN will say "put us in all of your packages or you don't get to carry our content at all". And they will do that for all of their channels ... with required tiers for each channel. If DirecTV does not place the channels in the demanded tiers then ESPN doesn't allow any DirecTV customer to see the channel. ESPN is big enough to make such demands stick.

If you can convince the content providers to accept less than nearly all of DirecTV's subscribers without having them pull their channels completely or put the rates high enough that it would be cheaper to pay for all 20 million then your idea might fly. But in the real world the content providers have a lot of leverage.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#69 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:53 PM

If the content providers do not provide the content there is nothing for DTV to sell.

Powerhouses like ESPN will say "put us in all of your packages or you don't get to carry our content at all". And they will do that for all of their channels ... with required tiers for each channel. If DirecTV does not place the channels in the demanded tiers then ESPN doesn't allow any DirecTV customer to see the channel. ESPN is big enough to make such demands stick.

If you can convince the content providers to accept less than nearly all of DirecTV's subscribers without having them pull their channels completely or put the rates high enough that it would be cheaper to pay for all 20 million then your idea might fly. But in the real world the content providers have a lot of leverage.

I guess the Weather Channel is excluded from this list.  :sure:

#70 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,740 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

It's not, it's a complicated mess of multiple contracts on all ends. (i.e. some networks promise the leagues a certain ammount of homes, they charge the advertisers the rates they do because they're in that many homes, etc) That why Fox Sports caved in about a week before launch since without DirecTV, Dish, Time Warner and several other providers they wouldn't reach that quota, so they let the providers who didn't make a new deal with them have Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 under the same terms as their existing contracts for Speed and FUEL TV.

Another example is Cablevision when they joined the NCTC, a coop meant to negotiate contracts on behalf of smaller cable providers who don't have the clout of a subscriber base in the millions to use in negotiations. At the time Tennis Channel was moving away from a sports pack to base packages in all their new deals, but Cablevision, who didn't have any deal with Tennis Channel, saw that the current NCTC deal allowed for a sports pack placement. But as soon as the NCTC renewed their deal with the Tennis Channel and it called for base package placement, instead of honoring the new deal with the NCTC, Cablevision dropped the channel entirely.

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,377 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

I guess the Weather Channel is excluded from this list.  :sure:

The Weather Channel is not a powerhouse. :D
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#72 OFFLINE   gman0661

gman0661

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

PLEASE CAN WE GET THE BLAZE ON DIRECTV ???????????????????  IF ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING PLEASE WRITE BACK, ALSO LA DODGERS AND PAC 12 AND EPIC MOVIE CHANNEL. SO WE CAN WATCH STAR TREK 2, HUNGER GAMES 2 AND OTHER. WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#73 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

The new sat should be operational early next year. The Dodgers and Pac 12 are a dispute over price for the Dodgers and carriage (how many channels) for the Pac 12.

Edited by joed32, 25 April 2014 - 08:22 AM.

#74 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

PLEASE CAN WE GET THE BLAZE ON DIRECTV ???????????????????  IF ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING PLEASE WRITE BACK, ALSO LA DODGERS AND PAC 12 AND EPIC MOVIE CHANNEL. SO WE CAN WATCH STAR TREK 2, HUNGER GAMES 2 AND OTHER. WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why are you yelling at us? Why so many ????????????????????????? marks? Is this your first time on the internet?

• sigma1914, loveshockey, cypherx and 1 other like this

#75 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,152 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

I think I can live without the blaze

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore