Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR2x might be dying

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:10 PM

Any recommendations before calling Directv?  Friend who used to work for DTV said to do a factory reset first.  It's pretty old.  5+ years old.  She also said I'll be auto locked into a new 2 yr contract for the replacement and a higher rental fee.  Ugh!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

Tell us why you think it is dying.

What have you done to it to try to remedy the problem.

No, you do not get into a new contract to replace a dead receiver. You do if you upgrade to the Genie or add an additional receiver to the account.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Receiver randomly stops accepting remote inputs, picture will lock up requiring red button reset.  Works okay for a while and then it happens all over again after a while.

#4 OFFLINE   watchintv

watchintv

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:24 PM

what jimmie57 stated is correct for an erp(equipment replacement program) there is no agreement associated with the replacement receiver if you have the protection plan you will not be charged for shipping and handling also, however if you do not there would a $19.95 charge for shipping and handling. Now if the agent does and upgrade to either the genie or another hddvr if it is done as and upgrade instead of (a)n erp by the technical department

#5 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:38 PM

Okay, is there any technical things I should try as far as a reset before going through the painful task of talking to a CSR?

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

Okay, is there any technical things I should try as far as a reset before going through the painful task of talking to a CSR?

The first thing I would do is do a reset which you have done several times.

But, this time, as soon as it finishes and programming comes back to the screen, do it again.

2 rests in less than 30 minutes causes the machine to dump all of the Guide data and reload it. After you do that it will take as much as 2 days for it to reload all the data. During that time it might be slow.

Second to that is that most TVs put out IR interference. My TV would make the remote totally inoperable for the first 55 seconds after the picture came to the screen. I slid the receiver back past the face of the TV and it made a huge difference. To check for this you can turn the TV off using the TV remote and then click on the DTV remote to change channels, pull up the guide, etc. Of course you will not see any of this happen. What you are looking for is that the light on the face of the receiver blinks each time you press a button.

If you have a remote that is capable of RF you could switch from IR to RF. If your remote is RF capable it will have an "R" after the number like RC65R.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:26 PM

Receiver randomly stops accepting remote inputs, picture will lock up requiring red button reset.  Works okay for a while and then it happens all over again after a while.

Run the Built in Self-test (BIST) to try and repair your hard drive. To run the hard drive checks, please follow these steps:

* Reboot DVR via red button inside card door.
* When you see "Running receiver self-check" press select
* You will see "Entering Diagnostics Mode..."
* Select Advanced Tests Menu -> Hard Drive utilities -> Short Smart test

You can also run the file test, and the DVR can sometimes repair a bad file report.
* If the other tests pass, run the surface test.   Warning: This process could take several hours to complete. You may want to run it overnight.

The good news is that every attempt is made to save programming. This is less destructive than a reformat all and could provide you with a more stable system if you are having problems that appear to be related to the hard drive.  

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks guys I will give these tips a shot..  I'll try and let you know.

#9 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:55 PM

Okay doing the surface test now as the others passed.  After only 2 seconds or so it said 1 error found and then 1 error corrected.  We shall see.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:15 AM

After only 2 seconds or so it said 1 error found and then 1 error corrected.  We shall see.

I would let it go "just for fun" but call for a replacement ASAP.   errors are a good indication the hard drive is going south.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

I would let it go "just for fun" but call for a replacement ASAP.   errors are a good indication the hard drive is going south.

Yeah I let it run and apparently after it was done it went back to picture.  It still acts up and won't change channels or accept remote input.  Guess its time for the Protection Plan call.  It has been going for 5 years so a good run..

#12 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:10 PM

New receiver on the way..

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

awesome. thanks for the update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:14 PM

Funny got it today and was getting error 771 no signal on HD channels.  Rep passed me off to Protection Plan rep and he had no idea and setup a service call.  When navigating menu's it said "remove any connected b-band converters" so I did and the new receiver works now. :P  Called back and cancelled service appointment. 

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

So let me see if I can guess right, they sent you an HR23, right?  man, I am good!  !rolling

P.S hopefully you don't have SWM...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:24 PM

Yep HR23-700.  Nope to SWIM.  I'm old school. :D

#17 OFFLINE   vetrev

vetrev

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

The exact thing happened to an HR20-100 I have in my master bedroom.  It would not connect to whole-home DVR anymore.  The shows would be listed, but I could not play them on other DVRs.  The IR remote was unresponsive even after I changed batteries a couple times.  The buttons on the front of the unit did not work either. 

I tried RBR repeatedly and unplugging the receiver overnight a couple of times, and limited functionality was restored for short periods, but everything worked very slowly--about five minutes per button push.  I noticed that when the unit was plugged in, the hard drive seemed to be making more noise than normal.  I finally called a CSR today, and she sent out a new receiver no charge without any foot-dragging.  It went well.  There is no new contract either. :bink:

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

Yep HR23-700.  Nope to SWIM.  I'm old school. :D

And you'll be swapping out that 23 soon too.  

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

And you'll be swapping out that 23 soon too.  

Rich

Why's that?

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Why's that?

They are notorious for the power supply burning up. Mine did that.

• Rich likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...