Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jump to Satellite

Dish Directv Satellite

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

I made the jump from cable and over the air programming to satellite over 7 years ago,  I would not go back to cable if you paid me.  I cannot p/u over the air very well so I would only go back if needed.  Needless to say I love my satellite service.

In my travels around my town I observe that a great number of individuals agree with me.  You can see more and more satellite dishes attached to roofs,poles,garages, and mountable surfaces. :hurah:

15 years ago Cable was on the offensive pushing their product, now they are on the defensive hoping not to lose more ground to the satellite companies.

What are your thoughts ?  Please share..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,915 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:27 AM

I've been a satisfied DirecTV customer for 19 years. Every time I receive a offer from cable or DISH I think about it, laugh about it, and forget about it.

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:30 AM

18 Years here and not looking back.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,857 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

I have never seen a cable TV picture that was sharp.

Way back in the mid 90's I had cable for SD and it was good. However, they raised my rate 3 times in 12 months and at that time jobs were hard to get and a raise was out of the question.

I ditched them for DTV in 1996.

We do use Comcast cable internet and it is fast but also very expensive.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:27 AM

I use cable for internet also, mainly because it is the only game in town worth  having.

Verizion's DSL is Laughable :rotfl:  and I have not heard good things about satellite internet..So I am stuck with Time Warner for Internet :bang   My internet is sky-high for the speed that is decent ..

#6 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

I have Cable for Internet and from what I can see of the Basic cable I also have the picture is OK.

I have my choice of OTA, Cable, two satellite TV companies and Fios. I'll stay where I am on satellite TV from inertia as much as anything. If it isn't busted don't fix it.

Here is a simple question, Is Fios a cable company? I tend to think so which would mean I have two cable companies I could choose from.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#7 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,857 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

I have Cable for Internet and from what I can see of the Basic cable I also have the picture is OK.

I have my choice of OTA, Cable, two satellite TV companies and Fios. I'll stay where I am on satellite TV from inertia as much as anything. If it isn't busted don't fix it.

Here is a simple question, Is Fios a cable company? I tend to think so which would mean I have two cable companies I could choose from.

My sister in Florida says she has FIOS. She says it is Verizon's Fiber Optics. She says it is as good of a picture quality as she has seen on any TV.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Fios is Verizon. It's Fiber optic TV , Internet, And phone. Not really a cable company. Most of their company is wireless and land line phones services.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#9 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:50 AM

The underlying back end technology is the same that cable companies use; they carry channels on standard digital QAM (up to 870 MHz). They offer CableCards as well just like the cable companies, and I believe there set-tops they provide customers also have CC's embedded inside.

Verizon's broadcast video service is not IPTV (Internet Protocol television), unlike AT&T's U-verse product and CenturyLink's Prism product. However, video on demand content and interactive features, such as widgets and programming guide data, are delivered using IPTV-based technology. The majority of content is provided over a standard broadcast video signal that carries digital QAM content up to 870 MHz. This broadcast content originates from a Super Head-End, which sends the signal to a Video Hub Office for distribution to FiOS TV customers.

From the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) at the subscriber premise, the RF video is delivered with a coaxial connection to typically a FiOS set-top box that handles both RF and IPTV video. Interactive services such as VOD and widgets are delivered by IP and are only accessible through use of a FiOS set-top box and a Verizon-supplied router. The router supports multimedia (MOCA) and provides the set-top boxes with programming guides and all SD channels, but high definition content (beyond local HD channels which are in clear QAM) requires HD equipment like a FiOS HD set-top box/DVR or a CableCARD-supporting device, such as TiVo. In 2008, Verizon ceased carrying analog television signals in parallel with digital channels, meaning televisions without a QAM tuner or a set-top digital adapter received no signal.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#10 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm happy with Dish because I only need to pay $7/mo in DVR/Receiver fees.  With any other provider, I would have to pay for a STB for each TV (see the current thread on Receivers for details on my setup).

I have FiOS for Internet & Phone and I added the local channel package (without a STB) to lower my bill.  If I upgraded to the FiOS TV package equivalent to AT250, I would be paying more because of the extra STB fees.  

Comcast would be cheaper for phone & Internet, but I wouldn't want to rely on them.  It would be more expensive if I switched to their TV service over Dish.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#11 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Update:
5 days ago I reneged and had Satellite Internet installed. So far so good, but time will tell.. Time Warner made me mad for the last time. I did my due diligence and researched the two company's offered in the area, I then found the local installer and talked to him. He came out did a site survey and we determined the optimum spot and we sunk a pole for the Satellite dish. It snakes in right next to my Directv into the house, so no extra holes.

I will see what happens down the line, but for now things are OK..

#12 OFFLINE   ground_pounder

ground_pounder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

been a directv subscriber since 1996 :righton: . I remember when it was directv and ussb and you had two separate bills. I haven't looked back to cable since there picture and sound quality is inferior compared to satellite. I did go in and pay my cable for my interwebs package and I was watch tv on an HD channel and it was breaking up!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dish, Directv, Satellite

Protected By... spam firewall...And...