Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Protection Plan Premier Monthly

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   topcat84

topcat84

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I wanted to know if I'm doing the right thing by paying for the above protection plan. It's $19.99 per month and I think it only covers me if a technician has to come out to the house and repair something. I think I also benefitted from the plan by getting a Genie upgrade, which I REALLY love, that replaced a DTV TiVo after two years. Is this a plan I need? Can you drop it and have no protection plan whatsoever? My bill has risen significantly since I went with DTV and just wondered how most of you felt about this added expense. Thanks in advance.

TC

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

The plan you have actually covers all of your flat screen televisions, computers, tablets, home theater equip, etc....  It is not required but is a good plan. You have to be the one to decide whether or not the cost is worth it to you. You can also have just the basic protection plan which is $7.99 and it covers only directv equipment and it gives you a free upgrade every 2 years also.

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

The Protection Plan only covers DirecTV equipment. The Protection Plan Premier covers DirecTV equipment plus anything you use (TVs, AVRs, PCs, ect.) to view DirecTV. Having the Protection Plan also entitles you to a free upgrade every two years. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

You are most definitely NOT doing the right thing. Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but the equipment doesn't generally "break". Yeah, hard drives die occasionally... but... they should generally last more then 2 yrs at which time you get a free upgrade anyways.

Point is, understand that if your account is in good standing and your account isn't flagged as a compulsive caller, they'll waive the service charges if you ask nicely. I've had a tech come out a total of 3 times for a dish re-aim and have never paid a dime for it.

PP is a DirecTV money grab plain & simple. The amount of money they take in vs. the amount they pay out is EXTREMELY lobsided.

Do you think DirecTV would do it if the ratio was 50%? Probably not. Ratio is probably closer to 90% if I had to guess.

You will certainly not recoup your $$$.

Even if you are charged for a service call, its $45. After 3 months you are DEEP in the red. If you even ever need a tech.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,720 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

You are most definitely NOT doing the right thing. Not sure what the weather is like where you live, but the equipment doesn't generally "break". Yeah, hard drives die occasionally... but... they should generally last more then 2 yrs at which time you get a free upgrade anyways.

Yeah, "but" you are missing the point here,  the PPP covers more than the DirecTV equipment 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:19 PM

The Protection Plan only covers DirecTV equipment. The Protection Plan Premier covers DirecTV equipment plus anything you use (TVs, AVRs, PCs, ect.) to view DirecTV. Having the Protection Plan also entitles you to a free upgrade every two years. 

I would not use "anything" loosely.  Smartphones which can be use to watch DirecTV are not covered.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:02 PM

Point is, understand that if your account is in good standing and your account isn't flagged as a compulsive caller, they'll waive the service charges if you ask nicely. I've had a tech come out a total of 3 times for a dish re-aim and have never paid a dime for it.

PP is a DirecTV money grab plain & simple. The amount of money they take in vs. the amount they pay out is EXTREMELY lobsided.

Do you think DirecTV would do it if the ratio was 50%? Probably not. Ratio is probably closer to 90% if I had to guess.

You will certainly not recoup your $$$.

Even if you are charged for a service call, its $45. After 3 months you are DEEP in the red. If you even ever need a tech.

It depends on your situation, with the exception of a single genie all my HR's are outright owned, without the PP they would be replaced with leased units. To those of us that own all or most of ours units is it a great deal

• Rich likes this

#8 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, "but" you are missing the point here,  the PPP covers more than the DirecTV equipment 

You should also really read the fine print :)

a) every claim incurs a $50 charge

B) there is a $2000 cap / $6000 cap per year

c) the $19.99 / mo plan does NOT cover physical damage like dropping your phone and cracking the screen or your kids accidently smashing the TV with a baseball bat they were swinging in the house. You'd have to upgrade to the $24.98 plan for that.

So let's say you carry the plan for 5 yrs with no damage before something happens. Thats $1,498.80 you've paid into the plan with zero benefit. Your claim will only go up to $2000. So you only saved yourself $500.

If you carry the plan for 6.6 yrs+, you start to be permanently in the hole as you've paid $2000+, but your claim will only cover $2000.

Homeowners insurance will cover stuff if its from a break in, earthquake, natural disaster, etc.

I guess if you break your $2000 laptop 1 yr after getting the plan, then its a good deal :).

• damondlt likes this

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:05 PM

I Agree, it's a waste. I also agree it's another money grab.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

I guess if you break your $2000 laptop 1 yr after getting the plan, then its a good deal :).

but this plan does not only cover new "stuff"only.  your 8 year 50" projo TV that is on its last legs might become a flat screen for $280.00 :righton:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Projection TV's are not covered, neither are DLP

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,720 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

Projection TV's are not covered, neither are DLP

then let me scratch that off...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:32 AM

Ha ha ha ha

Sent from my Galaxy S5

#14 OFFLINE   topcat84

topcat84

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied because for some reason I didn't even realize that I had the Premiere Package. I DID know I had the $7.99 package and wasn't even sure if it was worth the money since I never seem to have a problem with my DTV equipment. (Knocking on wood!!). Do the majority of you agree that I should even drop the $7.99 package? That would cut $20.00 off my bill every month, which is pretty significant. I know this is just personal preference, but would like to know how others feel. Thanks again in advance. 

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

I have the protection plan, But I'm gone for days sometimes weeks .

Its just easier for my wife to pick up the phone and not have to deal with the issue some CSRs present when you need a service call.

They just send out a tech, Or replacement receiver

Its one thing when I'm home to deal with it.

So its worth the $8 per month for me.

As far as the free 2 year upgrade, thats BS don't be fooled.

I see it as another piece of Bait to make the last years PP Increase seem less shocking.

I got a free upgrade 12 months before the stated date, and already 6 short months after my last upgrade they already want to lease me a HD DVR for $99 or HD receiver for $49.

In another 6 months it will be free, 12 months before the stated date.

• Rich likes this

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,656 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thanks to everyone that replied because for some reason I didn't even realize that I had the Premiere Package. I DID know I had the $7.99 package and wasn't even sure if it was worth the money since I never seem to have a problem with my DTV equipment. (Knocking on wood!!). Do the majority of you agree that I should even drop the $7.99 package? That would cut $20.00 off my bill every month, which is pretty significant. I know this is just personal preference, but would like to know how others feel. Thanks again in advance. 

If the cost of having The Protection Plan is a burden than trim the fat.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

I DID know I had the $7.99 package and wasn't even sure if it was worth the money since I never seem to have a problem with my DTV equipment. (Knocking on wood!!). Do the majority of you agree that I should even drop the $7.99 package?

I preface the description of my experience by saying that I know that DIRECTV does not treat all customers in the same way, and it could be that others might have an experience different from mine, especially if their account history might be different from mine. 

I have been a DIRECTV subscriber since 1994, and I have never had the protection plan since it was first offered.  Yet, I have never paid a cent for a service call, for replacement of dead equipment, or for an equipment upgrade.  I've had 5 or 6 receivers or DVRs die, and, not only have I gotten no cost replacements, but, upon my request, the $19.95 shipping charge has always been waived.  During the last 5 or 6 years, I've had 2 or 3 service calls to re-peak the dish, and I have never been charged anything.  I've had free upgrades to SWM and Whole Home service.  About a year ago, I was offered and accepted a free upgrade of a DVR to an H44 Genie, and about a year earlier, I had an HR21 replaced with an HR24 with no charge to me either time.  A number of years ago, when I replaced my SD equipment with HD equipment, I paid nothing, and, when I replaced receivers with DVRs, I also paid nothing. 

I accept the fact that, at some point in the future, DIRECTV could change its policy, and I could be charged for a service call.  In the mean time, however, I've saved enough money by not having the protection plan to pay for a few dozen service calls, and, if DIRECTV were ever to try charge me an unreasonable fee to replace failed equipment, I always have the option of starting over with new equipment from Dish Network. 

I know that there are those who will say that the protection plan is good insurance for those with owned equipment, but I don't own equipment, and, for me, I see little, if any, advantage to having owned equipment, but that is a completely different discussion. 

Any protection plans or extended warranties, whether they be for electronic equipment, home appliances, automobiles, or any other product are virtually pure profit generaters for the companies that sell them.  The markups for these extended warranties and protection plans are generally several hundred per cent over what any likely payout might be.  A salesperson, whether it be for a car, an appliance, or any other product, can sell that product for what appears to be a loss, but, if he/she can sell the buyer a protection plan or extended warranty, he/she can turn that deal into an especially good profit making deal.  And paying for a DIRECTV protection plan strikes me, especially, as being unnecessary since, as explained above, DIRECTV appears to be willing to give customers without the protection plan the same repairs, replacement of dead equipment, and upgrades for no charge as they give to those who do have the protection plan. 

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,610 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:13 AM

I Agree, it's a waste. I also agree it's another money grab.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Used to be a good thing, the basic PP I mean.  Good, knowledgeable CSRs, but that went downhill a couple of years ago.  If I didn't own 10 of my HRs, I wouldn't pay for it.

Rich 

#19 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

If your HD dies, you can replace it for less $$$ then you would pay through the PP.

Dish, LNBs, wiring, b-bands, etc. are all replaced free of charge if you are polite about it. Those parts rarely fail anyway.

So, yeah, the plan is not worth it.

#20 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 956 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

If the cost of having The Protection Plan is a burden than trim the fat.

Has nothing to do with being a burden.

Has to do with not paying for useless crap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...