Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network to give refunds, additional benefits to settle charges related to a deceptive surcharge, attorney general says

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,681 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:04 AM

DISH Network to give refunds, additional benefits to settle charges related to a deceptive surcharge, attorney general says

DISH Network will refund about $2 million to Washington state consumers and provide additional benefits to them that could total up to $3 million for an unlawful monthly line-item surcharge.

The Washington State Attorney General’s Office alleges that DISH began charging state consumers the surcharge in May of 2012 and collected more than $2 million from it.

Hundreds of thousands of Washington consumers were illegally charged a dollar per month for up to eight months, said Attorney General Bob Ferguson.

Dish_Network.png

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Ok so here's the final paragraph that explains why Dish was charging that surcharge: "DISH used the surcharge to recoup its increased business and occupation tax liability, Ferguson said. Unlike the sales tax, the B&O tax is considered a cost of doing business in Washington state, and businesses can’t tack it on as a line-item charge in addition to the sales price."

So I call bull$h!t on this! Are you trying to tell me that the state of Washington is allowed to tax Dish and Dish isn't allowed to pass that cost along to it's customers who live in Washington?! Sounds like the politicians there have found a sneaky way to tax their residents and make it look like it's Dish who's trying to screw them. So basically all Dish customers subsidize this state of Washington tax because Dish isn't allowed to charge people living in that state extra because of it. Sorry but if any state government charges anything that makes doing business in their state more expensive then a company should absolutely have every right to add an additional charge to the bill for its customers in that state otherwise the cost gets passed on to all of that companies customers no matter where they live.

• pinkertonfloyd likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#3 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 477 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

As I recall, the sticking point is that it was added on as a line item.  Dish was completely free to raise their rates to cover the B&O tax, but apparently not free to break it out as a separate charge.

I agree, it's BS.  That tax is hated by every business in WA.

Keith

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,895 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

Knowing that every DISH customer in the country will need to have their bill adjusted to pay for the Washington customers doesn't exactly make me happy with the State of Washington either. :(
  • tsmacro likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,695 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:40 PM

As I recall, the sticking point is that it was added on as a line item.  Dish was completely free to raise their rates to cover the B&O tax, but apparently not free to break it out as a separate charge.

I agree, it's BS.  That tax is hated by every business in WA.

Keith

Knowing that every DISH customer in the country will need to have their bill adjusted to pay for the Washington customers doesn't exactly make me happy with the State of Washington either. :(

Yeah... that's the thing... IF their only other alternative is to build it into the package price, then it would have to go up for people outside that state... which means everyone else will be overcharged needlessly.

I don't see how a state could mandate a tax on a business and also mandate "thou shalt not tell" for that tax...  seems like if the business has to pay a tax, they have a right to disclose it... and putting it as a line-item on the bill should be positive for consumers because you then can see the reason for the charge AND it gives you the opportunity to contact your legislature if you want to fight it.

• tsmacro likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:17 AM

I guess maybe Dish is free to charge a higher rate for its programming in Washington then? Of course that would be a pain and probably expensive having to customize prices and advertising and websites and everything else just because one state says we're going to charge you this tax and you can't pass on the cost of that tax to your customers in this state by putting a line item on the bill. Seems like that's government deliberately trying to cover-up their practices to me and ought to be illegal, someone ought to appeal this to the supreme court.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...