Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Out of Curiosity

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:30 AM

After reading all the posts about locals in HD on the Eastern Arc, I decided to do a chat yesterday morning with Dish Tech.  I was informed that yes, if I switched to the Eastern Arc and upgraded one of my old receivers, I would indeed get my locals in HD.  So I set up a service call for Friday.  Last night, I had the feeling something wasn't right.  So I did another chat with Dish tech with someone else.  I quickly learned that was not correct and they are not available in HD in my area at all so we cancelled the service call.  Not sure what to make of this.  Was the first Tech lying thru her teeth or just that completely uninformed?  Needless to say, I am disappointed in the whole thing as I was pretty jacked up that I thought I was finally getting them in HD....Guess not.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

CSRs are a luck of the draw regardless which service provider you have.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

What DMA are you in?

#4 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

After reading all the posts about locals in HD on the Eastern Arc, I decided to do a chat yesterday morning with Dish Tech.  I was informed that yes, if I switched to the Eastern Arc and upgraded one of my old receivers, I would indeed get my locals in HD.  So I set up a service call for Friday.  Last night, I had the feeling something wasn't right.  So I did another chat with Dish tech with someone else.  I quickly learned that was not correct and they are not available in HD in my area at all so we cancelled the service call.  Not sure what to make of this.  Was the first Tech lying thru her teeth or just that completely uninformed?  Needless to say, I am disappointed in the whole thing as I was pretty jacked up that I thought I was finally getting them in HD....Guess not.

When getting an EA install, all the equipment will have to be MPEG4 to allow all SD/HD channels to come in.

With a WA install, you can have SD or HD/SD equipment. There are some cases when a WA or EA install will be needed to get certain locals.

If you have any further DISH concerns please let me know and I am happy to help you.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

I live in the Rapid City, South Dakota area....Mike, it doesn't matter because I am told Locals in HD are not available in my area at all.  Even tho all cable companies plus Direct TV does offer them in HD.  My point was that the Tech either lied or is clueless....not sure which.  Not a threat to leave, just a fact.

#6 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

I live in the Rapid City, South Dakota area....Mike, it doesn't matter because I am told Locals in HD are not available in my area at all.  Even tho all cable companies plus Direct TV does offer them in HD.  My point was that the Tech either lied or is clueless....not sure which.  Not a threat to leave, just a fact.

blackhillsjk,

Would you please provide me the zip code you have please?

#7 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

dish.com says SD-only in Rapid City. Maybe the CSR punched in the wrong zip code.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

Rapid City appears to be a 110W SD market so I'm not sure why anyone would pitch an EA solution.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:26 PM

Since my previous post I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a couple of things. Bill was 16.something. I gave her a 50 and got back 3 dollars and change. I said: "Didn't I give you a 50?" She said "yes" - pause - think - turn around - "did I punch in 20? I punched in 20 even though I KNEW you gave me a 50!" Minds do wander so it's good that you double-checked!

Edited by Orion9, 16 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

you should post it in that thread where is discussing Florida girl who left a banknote at a counter, been chased and arrested for many charges include heroinating instead of getting the bill back !

Edited by P Smith, 16 April 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   blackhillsjk

blackhillsjk

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

Mike,

My zip is 57754  which is actually in Lead outside of Rapid City.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Mike,

My zip is 57754  which is actually in Lead outside of Rapid City.

blackhillsjk,

Thanks for the zip code and I do apologize for the delayed response. Your locals will be in the 110/129 satellites, the 129 satellite will provide your locals in HD.

The EA install would not provide your locals in either SD or HD, if you have any further questions please PM me with the phone and 4 digit PIN to further assist you.

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...