Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR20 getting long in the tooth...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

So we currently have an HR20 that is rapidly approaching 7 years old. We don't currently have protection plan in place. Should I just activate protection plan and wait for it to die? We just upgraded to a HR34 on 1/2/13 so I dont know if our best negotiating skills would net us a replacement HRxx for free. Is HR24/23 still the newest 2 tuner DVR?

I see it looks like Genie are still limited to 1 per account? Has D* ever come clean on why this is? I'd be betting it has to do with licensing from the providers but thats just my guess. 

Thanks!

Richard

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

Go to The Solid Signal Blog site and look up "Why Can't You Have Two DirecTV Genies On Your Account"? They have the best explanation.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Here's the link, http://blog.solidsig...on-your-account

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Well that clears up the Genie question, thanks guys. Sorry, haven't been able to keep up with DBS stuff like I used to. 

So which path would any of yall take, add protection plan to catch the hr20 when it dies or just try to negotiate for a new hr23/24 ?

Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:20 PM

Well that clears up the Genie question, thanks guys. Sorry, haven't been able to keep up with DBS stuff like I used to.

So which path would any of yall take, add protection plan to catch the hr20 when it dies or just try to negotiate for a new hr23/24 ?

Thanks!

If the HR20 is owned, and you don't have the protection plan DIRECTV will replace it but it will be leased and start a new 2 year commitment IIRC plus $15 shipping charge for the replacement. If you have the PP then owned or leased it's replaced for free and no new two year. If you already have the Whole Home DVR feature on your account I'd see if you could talk them into a Genei upgrade, faster box, 5 tuners and 1TB Harddrive plus rumor is that the HR2X's won't be seeing many, if any, new software features added to them, Genie is where the developement $'s are going to.

Edit, never mind, see you already have a HR34 so no 2nd Genie.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#6 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:03 PM

If the HR20 is owned, and you don't have the protection plan DIRECTV will replace it but it will be leased and start a new 2 year commitment IIRC plus $15 shipping charge for the replacement. If you have the PP then owned or leased it's replaced for free and no new two year. If you already have the Whole Home DVR feature on your account I'd see if you could talk them into a Genei upgrade, faster box, 5 tuners and 1TB Harddrive plus rumor is that the HR2X's won't be seeing many, if any, new software features added to them, Genie is where the developement $'s are going to.

Edit, never mind, see you already have a HR34 so no 2nd Genie.

Yeah, not sure if the HR20 is owned but the HR22 is owned(got it when the wife worked at D*), for whatever that is worth.. LOL I guess the protection plan is the easy way. It's sad the HR2X platform may be left to die, if thats their 100% positive direction I hope they either workout the single Genie issue or create one with at least 4 more tuners, although an 8 tuner would be fine too. Hmmm decisions decisions. 

I guess that I should grab another HR2X while I can, besides if I do that they are sure to release something new. Thats how they HR44 was announced, like 7 days or so after I got my HR34 lol. 

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

Are R/W speeds on HDDs high enough to support (worst case scenario) recording 8 HD channels and playing back 4 (5?, 6?, 7?, 8?) HD shows all at the same time ?

Might overload the SWiM too . . . . 

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,725 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Read the blog. Seems like all they got to do is make another Genie that is NOT a server.

Or make it possible to disable the server feature in a current Genie model.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

spam firewall