Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Satellites i need to point towards for H24 ?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Im ready to align my new DIRECTV AU9-SL3-SWM Three LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna SL-3 LNB Combo for use with a new H24

819WGntu5JL._SL1500_.jpg

what satellites do i need to search for at http://www.dishpointer.com/ ?

i saw this "Aim is at 99/101/103. You aim at 101 then peak it for 99/103" http://www.satellite...le-H24-receiver

but want to confirm.

thx in advance

Edited by dean42mvg, 16 April 2014 - 01:02 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:00 PM

101W for start

#3 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

thank you :)

#4 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:45 PM

do i have this hooked up right ?

i get zero signal. im using cable i used from my older dish. could that be why ?

must i get a signal meter ?

thx again

Attached Thumbnails

• dtv.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:04 PM

Most (all?) installers in my area really prefer to have the power inserter wired the way you have it to the red port on the 8 way, and the wire to the receiver connected directly to any other port of the 8 way instead of the inserter.

But, what you did WILL work.

• damondlt likes this

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

Make sure mast is plumb!

If it doesn't have the bullseye level in the top use a torpedo level, and be very exacting and precise.

Plumb is good. Plumb is your friend.  Plumb makes all things possible.

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:07 PM

Make sure mast is plumb!

If it doesn't have the bullseye level in the top use a torpedo level, and be very exacting and precise.

Plumb is good. Plumb is your friend.  Plumb makes all things possible.

Say it again Master. Over and over.

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,372 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:30 PM

do i have this hooked up right ?

i get zero signal. im using cable i used from my older dish. could that be why ?

must i get a signal meter ?

thx again

how m,any receivers are you connecting?  if only one, you don't need that huge 8 way.  Just connect the H24 to the signal to IRD port on the PI and the dish to PWR to SWM.  Of course this will not get you signal if you do not have the dish aligned properly 

• dean42mvg likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

how m,any receivers are you connecting?  if only one, you don't need that huge 8 way.  Just connect the H24 to the signal to IRD port on the PI and the dish to PWR to SWM.  Of course this will not get you signal if you do not have the dish aligned properly 

ok, i dont need the splitter if im not actually splitting the signal. that makes sense. just 1 reciever here. thanks.

i'll eliminate that piece from the loop.

how critical is the cabling. MUST it be RG6 copper with compression ends ?

thx again, in advance, for anyone replying.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

ok, i dont need the splitter if im not actually splitting the signal. that makes sense. just 1 reciever here. thanks.

i'll eliminate that piece from the loop.

how critical is the cabling. MUST it be RG6 copper with compression ends ?

thx again, in advance, for anyone replying.

Yesssss !

#11 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

thx, hopefully thats why im getting 0 signal. i realy dont wanna have a pro come out unless mandatory.

should i be able to align without a meter and the

DirecTV Alignment Signal Locator ?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

you can  use the DirecTV built in meter in the receivers, although there is a learning curve.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Most people tend to aim too far to the west and miss the satellite all together and get the 110 instead of the 101. You might try to rotate the dish very slowly, stopping with each tiny move to give it a few seconds to acquire the signal as you go more towards the east than where you are now.

Remember, those sats are a long long way off and a tiny tiny bit of movement is probably a hundred miles off if not pointed correctly.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:32 PM

and cheap [$20] sat meter would help to get faster response while hitting a sat, then receiver's setup screen will tell you is it right one and will help get highest signal level

Edited by P Smith, 17 April 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

OK. The process for aligning a SWM dish is rather straight-forward, but you have to follow some rules.

1. If you have a long run you really need solid core RG6 coax. But, I have found that runs of around 50ft seem to run just fine with copper-clad core RG6. So, your needs are defined by the length of the coax between the dish and your receiver.

2. For a permanent installation you MUST ground the dish. There is a special coax with a bonded ground wire that is used for the run from the dish to a location where you can secure a solid ground. So, you need to get the special coax for that run and a grounding block terminal to install at that location.

3. You need to have a clear line of sight so the Southern sky. There are smart phone apps that can help you get an idea of where the DirecTV satellites are located. You need to know that you have a completely unobstructed view of this area. The satellites you are interested in are 99, 101, and 103.

4. You need to install the mounting (j-bar) bracket so that it is perfectly vertical. As stated earlier you are best to use a torpedo level to make sure that post is straight up. Nothing else will work right if you miss this critical step. You need to make everything firm with the additional bracing supplied with your kit.

5. Then you put the dish together and place it on the pole, but do not tighten things down at this point. Just have everything tight enough that you have to exert a bit of pressure to make things move.

6.Either get your dish settings from your receiver (they are based on your zip code), or go to dishpointer.com and get your azimuth, elevation and tilt. If you use dishpointer.com be sure to closely notice how they give their tilt settings.

7. Use a compass to do your basic azimuth setting. You need to line up the arm on the dish with the magnetic setting you see on dishpointer. When you set the elevation you need to look at the interior piece of your mounting bracket for a white or red edge on the slot where the bolt comes through. This is the line you use for setting the elevation using the stamped markings on the outside of the bracket. If you use the side of the bracket you will be off and no moving the dish around will find any satellite.

8. Since you are doing this all by yourself I would strongly recommend that you take your receiver and a tv out near where you are installing the dish. Make a temporary setup where you can see the receiver's "meter" while you are adjusting the dish. You CANNOT use one of the cheap meters that work for the older dishes. All you will get on that is a SWM signal. You need to use your receiver's "meter' unless you want to spend a lot of money on a meter that works with SWM.

9. Now plug everything in and let the receiver boot up. You said your were installing an HR24. It will select the correct satellite settings (ie: SWM3 etc.)

10. Once you have everything powered up and have selected the display for the "meters" confirm that it is showing satellite 101 (which is the default). Now, slowly move the dish back and forth until you see the meter start to show a signal. Hone in on the highest setting you can get. Now tighten one of the three bolts that hold the bracket to the j-bar. You do not want the dish to rotate any more at this point.

11. Now you need to set the elevation. You may need to loosen your elevation bolts slightly, but be careful that it does not move up or down before you are ready to make your adjustment. Now hold the dish (I use the bottom) and move it up and down until you get the best reading on your receiver's meter. Tighten the elevation nuts at this point. You should now have a fairly good signal on your meter. You can go back and "tweak" you azimuth if you want, but you should be good to go at this point. Now, tighten things down so that nothing moves from this point forward.

12. Given that things are going well at this point, change your receiver's meter to 99 or 103 and adjust the tilt for the best setting. Once you have the best signal you can get, tighten down the tilt nuts (3).

13. Now you can turn everything off and move your receiver and tv inside. You should be good to go.

14. There is a step called dithering, but you should read up on that separately and do that at a later time. It gives you the best setting, but you are really not ready for that step now.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BobStokesbary, 17 April 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

p.7 is obsolete now when everyone could use its smartphone and dishpointer apps

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

p.7 is obsolete now when everyone could use its smartphone and dishpointer apps

while this app may help the DIY, they do not replace the real tool for the real job.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   dean42mvg

dean42mvg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

great tips, guys, thx ..... pretty much how ive been doing it since 2000, through several moves.

however, this is my 1st time with the new dish system.

i'm gonna get the RG6 Copper cabling 1st, then try my normal "preset the dish, and slight movement hunt method"

if that fails, and i still get 0 signal, i'll decide on:

1. getting alignment meter / DTV locator

or

2. calling in a pro

thx, will update once cabling arives

THANK YOU ALL

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

while this app may help the DIY, they do not replace the real tool for the real job.

OK, it could be useful addition for DIY as we see it in the thread

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,372 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

if that fails, and i still get 0 signal, i'll decide on:

1. getting alignment meter / DTV locator

or

2. calling in a pro

thx, will update once cabling arives

THANK YOU ALL

If this is the only dish that you might align, option #2 would be your best bet (cheaper)

• BobStokesbary likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...