Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Fargo" on FX

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

So far I'd say last nights was the best yet.  Great acting by Odenkirk and the whole shoot out scene that we don't get to see was brilliant, well worth rewatching 2,3 or even 4 times to listen for everything that happens.  Also some very sexy vacuuming at the beginning.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Well, wasn't that fun?

A great show, with great acting. Jury is still out on the finale, but I thought it was pretty good.

Spoiler

I also blame Hess for everything. He caused his own death by putting Malvo and Lester in the same room, and tormented Lester to the point he smacked his wife with a ball-peen hammer. Of course that is really on Lester. You could say a lot of folks got what was coming to them, but many paid a higher price than they really should have; no one deserved to die just because they are an A-hole, or clueless, or just unlucky, but way too many did.

Lester turned out to be a total little $#!+, but also a pretty crafty criminal on the run. You could hate him and admire him all at once.

Did the body count have to be this high? That may be an easy way out to craft a drama, but the writing was still pretty good.

BB Thornton's sense of humor really elevated everything his character did. Martin Freeman, who was new to me (been in a lot of stuff I never saw), was amazing, as was Alison Tolman (never in much), who's career has just lifted off like an ICBM.

We got a happy ending, but not maybe the ending some were hoping for.

Key and Peel were fine, but their parts seemed shoe-horned in somehow. We didn't need them.

If they do another season, I hope we get Molly and Gus and chief Bob back in some capacity.

Edited by TomCat, 18 June 2014 - 03:06 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Finally finish watching.

Well, wasn't that fun?

A great show, with great acting. Jury is still out on the finale, but I thought it was pretty good.

Spoiler

I also blame Hess for everything. He caused his own death by putting Malvo and Lester in the same room, and tormented Lester to the point he smacked his wife with a ball-peen hammer. Of course that is really on Lester. You could say a lot of folks got what was coming to them, but many paid a higher price than they really should have; no one deserved to die just because they are an A-hole, or clueless, or just unlucky, but way too many did.

Lester turned out to be a total little $#!+, but also a pretty crafty criminal on the run. You could hate him and admire him all at once.

Did the body count have to be this high? That may be an easy way out to craft a drama, but the writing was still pretty good.

BB Thornton's sense of humor really elevated everything his character did. Martin Freeman, who was new to me (been in a lot of stuff I never saw), was amazing, as was Alison Tolman (never in much), who's career has just lifted off like an ICBM.

We got a happy ending, but not maybe the ending some were hoping for.

Key and Peel were fine, but their parts seemed shoe-horned in somehow. We didn't need them.

If they do another season, I hope we get Molly and Gus and chief Bob back in some capacity.

Finally finish watching. Really great show and a I agree with most of what you said. Lester take the cup for stupidity. I don 't know if a another season make any sense. Alison Tolman was great.

#24 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to see another season be about what happened back in 1979.

#25 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

I'd like to see another season be about what happened back in 1979.

Forgot about that. The guide did say that it was the season final.

#26 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

...Lester take the cup for stupidity...

I didn't see him as stupid at all. I thought his framing of his brother was pretty brilliantly executed, and his sending his 2nd wife to the slaughter was dark and despicable, but still a brilliant stab at self-preservation. He even disposed of the first wife's body pretty cleverly.

Giving in to your base instincts and smacking your wife with a hammer is not stupid, just not a good idea and not well thought out. But that is a crime of passion, a loss of control, which has little to do with how stupid one might be. There are lots of smart folks who lose control, and lots of stupid folks who never do.

We evolved from our less-endowed predecessors with tiny, undeveloped brains, which is why the construction of our current brains is a reptile brain connected to the spinal cord, with a higher-functioning brain wrapped around that. Our lizard brain is the only thing that connects directly to what our actions will be. Our higher brain is supposed to be in control by virtue of it keeping the lizard brain in line, but the higher brain is not connected directly to how we react physically or even emotionally; it hopefully keeps the lizard brain in line in a sort of fly-by-wire method, but if it loses control of that it has no capacity to stop whatever the lizard brain has in mind.

That is why I recommend against Ambien, because Ambien puts your higher brain to sleep. But if your lizard brain wakes up early and your higher brain doesn't, all bets are off in what you might do, because now you are thinking like a reptile with no one to tell you not to. There are scores of horror stories on the internet of folks who took Ambien and ended up peeing in intersections in their underwear, driving the wrong way on a freeway at 110 MPH, and yes, even smacking their spouse with a hammer.

Ask Patrick Kennedy, or a number of other high-placed folks who are on record as having problems with acting out after taking Ambien. I only know this because I researched it due to the fact that I lived it once upon a time, and I was lucky that my reptile brain did not do stupider stuff than it did, because when something like this happens, you are still responsible for the consequences. I skated, but just barely, and it was a hard lesson well-learned which affects me to this day.

Under the right circumstances, anyone is capable of anything. So a crime of passion is just that, and has different legal consequences than a planned crime, and little to do with any level of stupidity.

He also made some bad choices in Las Vegas, which if he had not, he would have got away scott free. But even non-stupid people can make bad choices. Of course they often don't have as dire of consequences as the choices Lester made.

No, Lester was actually pretty intelligent. But intelligence usually doesn't help matters all that much when you are panicked and running from the law, and Lester had been doing that for almost all of the series, other than the year break in the middle where it looked like he had pulled this off.

If Lester had just been stupid, it would have been a stupid show about a stupid guy doing stupid things. Instead, it was about an intelligent guy giving in to pressure, making bad decisions based on delusions of grandeur, and running for his life from the law and the mob and a hit man using whatever wiles he could muster up, which is exactly why the show was also not stupid.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

I guess what I meant to say is that when Lester saw Malvo at the bar, he should have taken the first flight out from out of Vegas.
The show is not stupid.
  • tsmacro likes this

#28 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

Very pleased with this season. I only wish, the stories would continue with another season or more

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#29 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,906 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:16 PM

Very pleased with this season. I only wish, the stories would continue with another season or more

A sort of American Horror Story like -- another mass murder scenario in another locale.

Edited by Drucifer, 19 June 2014 - 04:17 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#30 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

OK, I have a question for everyone. I guess I missed this, but what was Malvo's riddle that Gus solved regarding shades of green? It apparently refers to something Malvo said to Gus during one of their few brief encounters.

#31 ONLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

OK, I have a question for everyone. I guess I missed this, but what was Malvo's riddle that Gus solved regarding shades of green? It apparently refers to something Malvo said to Gus during one of their few brief encounters.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but...
Spoiler

Edited by juniormaj, 19 June 2014 - 08:50 PM.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994
My setup

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,414 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Not sure if this is a spoiler but...

Spoiler

Thanks. We had the same question as Tom and I couldn't figure it out either.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#33 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

What a great answer. You have increased my enjoyment of this story, and I thank you very much for that.

When a story is this good, I try extra hard to pay attention. But then the phone rings, spouse drops a glass, etc. I remember what Malvo said now, but never heard the interchange between Gus and Molly (aren't those three adorable watching Deal or No Deal?) Binge watching probably would have helped, but this was one of very few appointment television "must-see" shows, and I had to watch it the night it aired, unable to save them up for that.

As I have remarked in the past about True Detective and Halt and Catch Fire, this show could be worthy of multiple viewings.

One reviewer made an interesting observation. Just like Rust Cohle and Marty Hart embodied personalities that their names were each physically resonant with, so does Molly Solverson, who "solves" crimes no one else can.

• juniormaj likes this

#34 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:53 AM

Overall, I enjoyed this very much.  Saved the finale and rewatched.  Wish I still had the old eps to refer to...   Probably worthy of DVD or BD purchase.

I thought that the "Second Mrs. Nygaard" probably had the most accurate, if not the most entertaining version of the dialect. She was great.

They went a little over the top with the raining fish part that finalized all the plagues (losing his son) for the Oliver Platt character.  (Wonder how Malvo managed to arrange for that to happen.  Maybe some philosophical reference...)

Also, I can't recall if they showed how Lester got back into his guarded hospital room after setting up the frame for his brother.  I must've missed something.

Anyway, great show.  Wouldn't mind seeing more.

#35 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

One of the things I loved about the show (and also the movie) was the attention to detail when it comes to little things like sound effects and background noises. Things like the engine rumble of the various types of automobiles, the crunch of the tires on the snow, the chime sound when a car door is left open, the crackle of police radios and scanners, etc. All those types of things just sounded so realistic which is not always the case with poorly made TV shows.

Edited by swyman18, 21 June 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#36 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:03 PM

Also, I can't recall if they showed how Lester got back into his guarded hospital room after setting up the frame for his brother.  I must've missed something.

They never showed us how he got back in. As the episode ended, they just cut to a shot of him back in his room.... in the bed with a smirk on his face. How he got past the guard may have wound up on the cutting room floor.

/steve

#37 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:09 AM

Great show but I'm very disappointed with the finale.

While on Earth Lester returned to his home knowing that he is a suspect anyway?

The instinct should tell him only one word, RUN.

#38 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think it was because he didn't get the memo that their was a new chief of Police in town. LOL

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#39 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,964 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

On the snowmobile? He was in Montana, away from his city.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#40 OFFLINE   Virginian

Virginian

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:43 AM

On the snowmobile? He was in Montana, away from his city.

He could perfectly drive from his house, why use snowmobile?

Even with snowmobile, he was supposed to drive from home, not to home.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...