Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Fargo" on FX

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,476 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hmm. I seem to remember a whole lot happening even in the first episode. Even with the obligatory cast member introductions we got two murders, maybe three. And those seemed incidental, as if there was a whole lot more important stuff going on. Any way you slice it there was a lot of plot development right out of the gate. Not every show convinces you, in the pilot, that you will need to not miss any episode, and that it is appointment TV. I get a handful of those a year, and for me, this was one of them.

People are different, and that is usually a good thing. Scientists have found that thrill seekers jump off of bridges to get the same exact chemical reaction in their brain that someone else might get from reading a good book.

If you found it slow, that means only one thing: you found it slow. No one is being crucified for their subjective reactions here (at least not up until this post). We could probably find a lot more credible reasons to resort to that.

I agree with everything you say. To me this show had everything I look for in a good crime novel, character development and a "can't put the book down" plot. It is true that if you watched live you didn't dare go to kitchen for a snack. It seemed like things were moving slow because there was nearly no fast movement, not much driving over the speed limit, almost no conversations that didn't have thoughtful pauses. And yet murders kept happening. Drawn out dying? No. Just whack, bang, or even less noise, and someone was murdered.

It's not for everyone, but it's a style I find mentally stimulating.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hmm. I seem to remember a whole lot happening even in the first episode. Even with the obligatory cast member introductions we got two murders, maybe three. And those seemed incidental, as if there was a whole lot more important stuff going on. Any way you slice it there was a lot of plot development right out of the gate. Not every show convinces you, in the pilot, that you will need to not miss any episode, and that it is appointment TV. I get a handful of those a year, and for me, this was one of them.

People are different, and that is usually a good thing. Scientists have found that thrill seekers jump off of bridges to get the same exact chemical reaction in their brain that someone else might get from reading a good book.

If you found it slow, that means only one thing: you found it slow. No one is being crucified for their subjective reactions here (at least not up until this post). We could probably find a lot more credible reasons to resort to that.

To get the same chemical reaction as I did from this show I'd take a Xanax.  A whole lot happening?  We must have been watching a different show.  Billy Bob Thornton's character alone moved at the speed of the guys in The Wolf of Wall Street while on those old quaaludes. The others were even slower.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#63 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

To get the same chemical reaction as I did from this show I'd take a Xanax.  A whole lot happening?  We must have been watching a different show.  Billy Bob Thornton's character alone moved at the speed of the guys in The Wolf of Wall Street while on those old quaaludes. The others were even slower.

Well, it does take place in the 'frozen north' where all things,

molecular and otherwise. tend to move relatively more slowly.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#64 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

I really enjoyed this series as did my wife. Billy Bob really did his best on this, didn't just phone in his performance as I've seen him do w/ some of his movies. That's the thing about him when he's good he's really good, which is why it's disappointing when he isn't. I also thought there was an interesting evolution in this show, not only that of Lester of course which was pretty obvious but it also seemed to me that early on the people who died were mostly bad people who you weren't really sad to see them get what they had coming (with the exception of the chief who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time). As time went on the people dying or getting punished seemed to be more sympathetic and more innocent and less deserving, sure Lester's brother was kind of dick but did he deserve what he got? His family certainly didn't. And of course Lester's 2nd wife who thought Lester was just so sweet for giving her his coat (which of course he planned from the time he left home and told her not to bring her own coat). So when Lester was a timid field mouse of a guy prone to being bullied we sympathized with him over those who were dying and as he gained confidence in himself we sympathized with those dying instead. Of course the common thread here is all those people dying had some kind of connection to him whether he was directly involved or not. Anyway yeah I had fun watching this one, too much violence and killing? Eh maybe, but it was a good enough story with good enough characters and acting that I was able to overlook it.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#65 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Besides the great screenplay, I thought the casting and acting were first-rate. Allison Tolman, Martin Freeman and Billy Bob are all worthy of emmy nominations, IMHO. Will be interesting to see if any get selected, later this week.

• tsmacro likes this
/steve

#66 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

...Lester's 2nd wife who thought Lester was just so sweet for giving her his coat (which of course he planned from the time he left home and told her not to bring her own coat)....

Why that little SOB. I caught the idea of him giving her his coat, but I never knew how well thought out he was about it until you pointed this out. Kudos.

I was never really a BIlly Bob fan until this. A cold hit man, but with a wry sense of humor? Brilliant. I'd give him an Emmy nom also. That is the same quality that made Duchovney's Mulder such an iconic character without him being just a wooden FBI cipher.

So while it is OK to have varying opinions about this or anything else (if they didn't vary, there would be no such thing as an opinion) it seems the more one continues to point out how different their opinion is only lowers my opinion of them. It's OK to have a different opinion, but c'mon, really, that is where it should end. You can later explain to us how you arrived at your opinion or give us something to support your opinion; we'll always welcome that. But enough is enough. Just continuing to scream "I hated this" isn't really in anyone's best interests, or anyone's best self-interests. Oddly enough, people even disagree about that.

Rubbing one's face in it, implying that if you don't agree you are the one that is daft, all that does is paint one as hostile and difficult, unrelatable, and without empathy, which are sociopathic qualities in people that I go out of my way to avoid, for both good and obvious reasons. Sometimes just scrolling down and seeing a particular stupid avatar is depressing, and means I have to steel myself for more unpleasantness.

But then that's just my opinion.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#67 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Besides the great screenplay, I thought the casting and acting were first-rate. Allison Tolman, Martin Freeman and Billy Bob are all worthy of emmy nominations, IMHO. Will be interesting to see if any get selected, later this week.

All three were nominated, along with Colin Hanks. Fargo received 8 nominations overall, including "best mini-series".

http://www.usmagazin...minees--2014107

• Rich likes this
/steve

#68 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

The only problem with nominating Alison Tolman for Fargo is that it is her only role. We don't know if she has any range beyond Molly, nor do we know whether she was acting or just being herself. I feel the nom is well-deserved, just the same, but a win implies a higher bar.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#69 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

John Wayne made a pretty good career by playing himself.  He could also act if he wanted to tho.

Rich

#70 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

John Wayne made a pretty good career by playing himself.  He could also act if he wanted to tho.

Rich

https://m.youtube.co...p&v=fOpgL4mqEis

#71 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Geeze, that brings back memories.  Good link, thanx!

Rich

#72 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Rich

I actually doubt that he was playing himself. First, nearly every role he ever played happened in a different century than he lived in. If he acted like that in his personal life in 1960 people would have thought he was nuts. Second, he used a fake name. The "John Wayne" image was fabricated out of whole cloth by the Hollywood studio system. It's nice to think of JW as JW, but nuh-uh, JW was not playing Marion Robert Morrison, he was playing JW, who's "real self" was actually Marion Robert Morrison, a different guy that the studio system hoped you would never discover.

What he might have been doing is "acting naturally", something most of us do most of the time without even trying, rather than creating a character wholly different than himself. Possibly that could be our common ground. And back to the point, my suspicion is that Alison Tolman might have been doing exactly that, which is why as good as Molly was as a character, I would not award her the Emmy for it, unless I had knowledge that she was doing an accent and playing well against type. She's good, but Daniel-Day Lewis she is not.

TImothy Olyphant is a great example of an actor that can actually create an iconic character completely different than himself. Raylan Givens is how I got to know him, and I found TO the actor absolutely unrecognizable once I saw him interviewed. The voice sounded familiar, but it took a good 5 minutes for me to recognize him as the same person, because TO and RG are completely different in manner of speaking and how they present and carry themselves. Where's his Emmy nom?

#73 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:55 PM

I did not know who Alison Tolman was and I am glad she got nominated for an Emmy. She is certainly on my radar for now on.

#74 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Fargo Renewed for Season 2

http://tvline.com/20...2-renewal-cast/

This is great news

• tsmacro and juniormaj like this

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#75 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:47 PM

This is great news

:up:

Aw jeez, you're right!

/steve

#76 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Great news indeed.

#77 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Glad they're going to try it again, hope they can get another great cast and another great story and it lives up to the movie and season 1!

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#78 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,479 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Aw jeez, you're right!

I'm not fluent, but I speak a little Minnesotan: I think you mean "You betcha." (You'd say "Aw jeez" only if you were a little annoyed/frustrated with a situation, as in, "I'm glad they're renewing it, but aw jeez, do they have to have an entire new cast? I'll miss some of those people.")
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#79 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,617 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm not fluent, but I speak a little Minnesotan: I think you mean "You betcha." (You'd say "Aw jeez" only if you were a little annoyed/frustrated with a situation, as in, "I'm glad they're renewing it, but aw jeez, do they have to have an entire new cast? I'll miss some of those people.")

Aw jeez, you betcha I blew that!

/steve

#80 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 543 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

Awww heck. Darn glad it's coming back.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...