Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HopView MultiChannel-a great waste of Technology

Hopper Issue Request

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:01 PM

There is not much Sat New right now so about this topic. . . .

-

WHAT-

Hopper View, also known as MultiChannel View (the 6 channels on one screen channel)  On Channel 100 on the Hopper Guide.

-

PURPOSE OF THIS POST-

The purpose of my commentary is to gain the attention to Dish Upper Management (not just D.I.R.T. team member) about a worthless channel that could easily be change at the push of some buttons into a very high value customer retaining channel used by all Dish Customers and not offered by DirecTV.  

The Secondary Purpose of my post is to gather other forum members Ideas on this topic so Dish Executives will also consider them.  I just prosed a couple of solutions to get us started.  The higher the post count the better the chance Dish Executives will take note (they do read some of these).

-

WHAT IS WRONG-

Currently the MultiChannel View shows one channel from each category.  A of this post I see:

ESPN- Sports,  FoxNews-News, Discovery-Info, USA and TNT- General, and NICK-Kids.

In other words you are showing ONE channel from each category.  This serves no human purpose as you cant go to channel 100 to see what is on and then click on a channel to watch it.  The reason is most are interested in One Category of programming at the time of the vist to the channel.  Let say I want to watch NEWS.  All that is there is Fox News, I could of just gone to that channel.  Lets say I looking for Kids Programming for the Children, all that is there  is Nick.  I could of just gone to that channel.  You get the idea.   Right now the only thing useful for this channel is in the Store Show Room to show off that you offer these channels, such a waist of technology.

-

PROPOSED SOLUTION-

Since you do not have bandwidth to have One Category channel each (News, Kids, General, Movies, Sports) I propose that to you rotate Categories based on time of day and week and label it in the Guide.

-

(times and days are just a guess to show one possible example of how this would work)

News Mix-  Every Day 6am to 11AM CT

Sports Mix- Weekends 11AM to 6PM CT

KIDs MIX- Every Day 11AM t 6PM CT Mon-Fri

General Mix- Every Day 6PM to 10PM

Movies Mix (non Premium) 10PM to 6AM

Premium Chan Mix- during free views of HBO, Starz, Show, ect

Fox Sports Mix- during free view of Sports package

Storm Mix (like DirecTV)- as needed during tornado outbreaks and hurricanes

Breaking News- (same is News Mix but add some locals news coverage) any time there is a big news or crisis. News like when the big 4 start to break in for news coverage all day.

-

Storm Mix will include local channels from around the county but only while they are covering the storm, just like DirecTV does during Hurricane coverage.

-

DirecTV Weather Mix

http://investor.dire...ts/default.aspx

Edited by scottchez, 18 April 2014 - 02:22 PM.

"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:24 AM

Does any one even use the channel, got no comments.
Channel seems to have no purpose today

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

It is a channel that has been on DISH receivers for over a decade - and was finally brought to the Hopper system for the Olympics this year. Not having it for the past couple of years I learned to live without it. (BTW: It was also used for March Madness.)

When I first got the Hopper I wondered where the channel was and felt that it was something missing (a channel I could get on my 301 but not my new Hopper?). From that perspective, they are restoring a lost feature. But it does seem to be of limited use.

The original channel 100 is a launchpad for apps ... the Hopper has one on every channel - press the blue button and all the apps on the receiver appear across the bottom of the screen. So that purpose is lost. The only thing left is having channel 100 be a showcase of six channels.

While your suggestion for time based changes to the channel line up is interesting I do not see DISH giving the channel that much thought. If there is something special going on I can see them selecting channels to match that event (Olympics, March Madness, perhaps news channels on Election Day). I would not expect changes throughout the day.

Today's oddity is that they are using letterboxed feeds in each of the boxes. It is a HD channel, I'd expect the HD feeds to be in each box (no SD stretch). But as I mentioned, I don't believe DISH is giving the channel much thought unless they have a special event.

If it were up to me I'd put free preview channels on channel 100.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Blueflash

Blueflash

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:08 PM

By the way it waste not "waist" :)

But they do change the channel lineup just not sure of their schedule. Today it's 4 sports channels and 2 seasonal channels.

And the app channel is important for non hopper subscribers. 

#5 OFFLINE   Blueflash

Blueflash

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:12 PM

They do change I never paid much attention but go there on my old 622 twice a day to check local weather on the weather app.

Sunday like I said above they were sports part of they day . This morning I saw news, And now I they are hist . disc, tbs , fx

Now we just need to ask DIRT if they know the schedule if there is one.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:29 PM

The thing is... if there is a schedule...  it would be just as difficult for you to learn their schedule and try to catch the mosaic when you want it, as it would be to just scan the EPG yourself and try out some new channels every now and then.

The Mosaic is really there to catch an impulse viewer in a random moment I think.  Anyone that would put the effort into trying to catch the mosaic on a schedule could have found channels they want much easier already, no?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

All 6 on my Channel 100 say  "locked".

If I click on cancel they all appear for a second while the app exits.

Is there a trick to get the channels to show?

I have a Hopper/W sling and a Hopper 2K, the 2k has the channels on screen but the 6 boxes that say "locked" cover them, the Hw/s just has a blue background with the 6 grey "locked" boxes on it.

I am on the EA sats.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

All 6 on my Channel 100 say  "locked".

If I click on cancel they all appear for a second while the app exits.

Is there a trick to get the channels to show?

I have a Hopper/W sling and a Hopper 2K, the 2k has the channels on screen but the 6 boxes that say "locked" cover them, the Hw/s just has a blue background with the 6 grey "locked" boxes on it.

I am on the EA sats.

Yes go in to parental controls and unlock the channels.

Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#9 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

The HD versions of all these channels are unlocked.

If these are the SD version, I do not see any purpose in channel 100 on the Hopper.

Why would I want to see the SD versions of channels from a mosaic when I can see the HD version.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma

#10 OFFLINE   Blueflash

Blueflash

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Like James said above and in this post when it first appeared on the hopper http://www.dbstalk.c...-3#entry3223769

It has been around for along time just not on Hopper. It's main use on hopper would be for the special sporting events like the Olympics, certain tennis tourney, Basketball ncaa big dance, etc.  where you can watch multiple screens at once. (directv sets up mosaic channels fro special events like the masters)

For non-Hopper users it is the only channel to access the interactive apps.

As for why not in HD that is a question for Dish and has been bantered around for a while also but never replied to by dish.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

As for why not in HD that is a question for Dish and has been bantered around for a while also but never replied to by dish.

I believe channel 100 HopView is a HD channel. A HD backdrop with text added by the receiver. In a quick experiment, if either the HD or SD feed of the source channel is locked the feed is locked. Sports blackouts should work the same way.

It appears that DISH is using SD channels on the HD HopView channel ... but shrunk down to less than 1/9th of the screen size the sources can be SD. I'd prefer that they were not letterboxed inside the frames.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:44 AM

There is not much Sat New right now so about this topic. . . .

-

WHAT-

Hopper View, also known as MultiChannel View (the 6 channels on one screen channel)  On Channel 100 on the Hopper Guide.

-

PURPOSE OF THIS POST-

The purpose of my commentary is to gain the attention to Dish Upper Management (not just D.I.R.T. team member) about a worthless channel that could easily be change at the push of some buttons into a very high value customer retaining channel used by all Dish Customers and not offered by DirecTV.  

The Secondary Purpose of my post is to gather other forum members Ideas on this topic so Dish Executives will also consider them.  I just prosed a couple of solutions to get us started.  The higher the post count the better the chance Dish Executives will take note (they do read some of these).

-

WHAT IS WRONG-

Currently the MultiChannel View shows one channel from each category.  A of this post I see:

ESPN- Sports,  FoxNews-News, Discovery-Info, USA and TNT- General, and NICK-Kids.

In other words you are showing ONE channel from each category.  This serves no human purpose as you cant go to channel 100 to see what is on and then click on a channel to watch it.  The reason is most are interested in One Category of programming at the time of the vist to the channel.  Let say I want to watch NEWS.  All that is there is Fox News, I could of just gone to that channel.  Lets say I looking for Kids Programming for the Children, all that is there  is Nick.  I could of just gone to that channel.  You get the idea.   Right now the only thing useful for this channel is in the Store Show Room to show off that you offer these channels, such a waist of technology.

-

PROPOSED SOLUTION-

Since you do not have bandwidth to have One Category channel each (News, Kids, General, Movies, Sports) I propose that to you rotate Categories based on time of day and week and label it in the Guide.

-

(times and days are just a guess to show one possible example of how this would work)

News Mix-  Every Day 6am to 11AM CT

Sports Mix- Weekends 11AM to 6PM CT

KIDs MIX- Every Day 11AM t 6PM CT Mon-Fri

General Mix- Every Day 6PM to 10PM

Movies Mix (non Premium) 10PM to 6AM

Premium Chan Mix- during free views of HBO, Starz, Show, ect

Fox Sports Mix- during free view of Sports package

Storm Mix (like DirecTV)- as needed during tornado outbreaks and hurricanes

Breaking News- (same is News Mix but add some locals news coverage) any time there is a big news or crisis. News like when the big 4 start to break in for news coverage all day.

-

Storm Mix will include local channels from around the county but only while they are covering the storm, just like DirecTV does during Hurricane coverage.

-

DirecTV Weather Mix

http://investor.dire...ts/default.aspx

scottchez,

We do value all of our customers input on equipment and programming they want or would like to see changed. It has been requested (by other customers) to provide them with the ability to change/select those channels.

I have forward your request and thoughts along for the improvements to this channel.

Thanks

#13 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:29 AM

Looks like Dish reads social media for customer feed back- thank you dish
Today they have made the HopView channel into something useable.
Today it is a sports view channels so you can quickly finds the games or watch several at once.
The weekend has lots of sports.
Thank you DIRT members for letting Dish know.
-
Now lets take the next step and rotate. Maybe make it a NEWS mix channel on weekdays when there is not much sports on?

Edited by scottchez, 03 May 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

All the news channels are grouped together already in the 200s...  It's easier for me to go to the EPG and check to see what is on.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#15 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Dish is trying. They are getting close.
They did a sports Mix in the daytime on Saturday and then a Comedy/Kids mix at night.
Now they just need to lable what type of mix it is in the program guide. For example right now it is a Sports Mix, if I am not interested in sports right now I would skip it.
I also would suggested a News Mix Sat and Sundays from 6am to 11am CT when no sports is on.
A news Mix would also be good durring Hurricains and tornado outbreaks.
-
-
If a channel shows as blocked make sure both the SD and HD channels is not blocked in Parental controls. Myself I unblock both as on the hopper it set it to only show the HD IF BOTH are there. Also if during rain fade if the HD is not avl it will auto jump to the SD channel even though its is not on the guide.

#16 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 924 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:17 AM

Update

Many use this channel, Dish would not of spent a ton of money on paying developers to write the code if they did not.
The channels works by showing the 6 channels to everyone, then the software loads and checks what channels you are authorized to use.
Then it puts a box over the ones you can not use. It uses the multi language option in the stream to pick which audio to give you as you move boxes.
Since dish is going to have this channel, I am trying to provide input on how they can make it better.
-
WHATS NEW- dish is working with us to make it better. We have a Sports Mix on weekends and a General cable mix on Weekdays
-
WHATS MISSING- we still need a news mix from 6am to 11am CT when few games are on and less are watching general cable. Then we would have all types covered. We also need a News mix on during breaking news events like the recent tornado out breaks and the CA wild fires.

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

Dish could use the data from the What's Hot app to decide what is popular throughout the day. The mix may be accurate.

#18 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

But it's all still SD and I have every SD copy of my HD channels locked out - Hopview is useless to me.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:19 AM

But it's all still SD and I have every SD copy of my HD channels locked out - Hopview is useless to me.

HopView is a HD mosaic ... your decision to lock out SD channels sounds like a personal problem.

Perhaps DISH should rework the logic to say "if either HD or SD is unlocked show the channel" instead of "if either HD or SD is locked hide the channel". But locking out SD is unneeded. HD is already preferred on the receiver. You're not doing yourself any favors locking out SD channels.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Dish could use the data from the What's Hot app to decide what is popular throughout the day. The mix may be accurate.

James,

I think it’s a great idea and I will add it to our open forum to get the data from What’s Hot.

spam firewall