Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Not Recording

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hi All,

This one seems pretty cut and dried to me: go to the program guide on my Hopper, select a program and select "Record This". Problem is, the show (in three out of four instances anyway) does not record. No red light on the front of the Hopper, no program recorded. There is no recording conflict or anything like that; it's just not recording programs which I have selected to record.    :confused:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

just make cold reboot and try again

#3 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 08:41 PM

just make cold reboot and try again

Did that. Once we went through the reboot cycle I picked a show via the program guide to record at 9:30 local time: selected the show, clicked on "record this"...and zippo at 9:30. Went to the guide and the red button showed up there for that program, but it's not recording the program. When I hit "Select" to take me to that program via the guide the screen went blank and now I'm stuck on a "Acquiring satellite signal" screen. Just sitting there doing nothing.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

oops ! you got something to check and fix ... cables, diplexor, switch, LNBF ... time to start troubleshooting ;)

unscrew each F-connector, look into, see if there tiny wires or aluminum braid, clean all of them, but disconnect any source of power before that

Edited by P Smith, 19 April 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

oops ! you got something to check and fix ... cables, diplexor, switch, LNBF ... time to start troubleshooting ;)

unscrew each F-connector, look into, see if there tiny wires or aluminum braid, clean all of them, but disconnect any source of power before that

I'll do that, but the installer was just out three days ago and got everything hooked up.

Couple other weird things: when I go back 10 seconds on a program, a lot of the time it's pixelated while watching it forward again; then it just goes back to "Live TV" by itself

I'm on a channel and push the record button on the remote; the record button now lights up on the Hopper.and that program is showing up in "My Recordings". However, no other stations will tune in; "Acquiring satellite signal" shows up on every channel. Turn the DVR off and then back on and all the channels are now back

#6 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Either the installer did something very wrong or you've got a bad receiver.  Call tech support and let them run through the usual attempted fixes. If that doesn't work they'll get someone out there or send a new receiver.  (I'd wait until Monday to call tech support.  Might not make a difference but I know I always have better luck with CSRs during US business hours.)

#7 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:21 AM

Either the installer did something very wrong or you've got a bad receiver.  Call tech support and let them run through the usual attempted fixes. If that doesn't work they'll get someone out there or send a new receiver.  (I'd wait until Monday to call tech support.  Might not make a difference but I know I always have better luck with CSRs during US business hours.)

I'm looking at the "bad receiver" possibility at this point as well. When I go to "TV Activity" Tuner 1 shows as "Watching" and Tuner 2 and Tuner 3 show as "Available".

Last night I set up a program to record just AFTER I would be turning the DVR off; sure enough, the red light on the front of the unit popped on at the proper time and this morning the program had recorded and was in the proper folder.

I'm also unable to access programming via the Joey. The "Acquiring Signal" screen pops up and that tuner shows "Lost Signal" in "TV Activity"

So, I don't know what's up. When the installer was here, both the Hopper and Joey worked fine. Weird.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

could be .. sometimes we get sick next day after a visit to a doctor ...

#9 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

If the installer left you a phone number I would call them first.

#10 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

could be .. sometimes we get sick next day after a visit to a doctor ...

chris83,

I am more than happy to help you with your recording questions for the Hopper today! When you press the record button, is the recording apart of PTAT?

If that’s not the case, please PM me with the phone and 4 digit PIN number on the account for further assistance.

Thanks

#11 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Wow, this has turned into a disaster. I contacted Tech Support via chat on Monday, went through 4 representatives who could NOT grasp the situation and was disconnected each time. I finally called to speak to a live person and explained the situation in detail each time to the three different people I was transferred to. I finally asked if it would be possible for an installer to just stop by and take a look at things (I TOTALLY forgot to get a phone number for the fellow who did my install); the person I was speaking with said no, they had to send out a new receiver. I suggested have a tech stop by and then they could switch out the Hopper if needed. No, they needed to send out a new Hopper and that arrived today. Went through the activation and tried to link the Joey...nothing. Pushed the "Record" button...nothing. The "TV Activity" screen shows all the tuners as available. I go to the guide, find a program and select "Record This"; a message (531) comes up saying "Please wait while we search for events that match your request" and just sits there doing nothing. So, I'm paying DVR and Joey fees and neither works. So I call tech support again; NOW they're sending a tech out tomorrow. I think I just want my Vip722k back.   :bang

Edited by chris83, 24 April 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   chris83

chris83

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:42 PM

Okay, I'm not very good at these things, but I ran the check switch process. I got a warning saying one of the satellite inputs or switches wasn't connected properly (code 530).

For satellite input #3 on Port1, Port2 & Port3 it says "WA.4 Good Connection, No Signal". Satellite inputs #1 and #2 look good. Those two also have green check marks next 110, 119 and 129; Tuner 3 has three red "X".

#13 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Any progress update?

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Okay, I'm not very good at these things, but I ran the check switch process. I got a warning saying one of the satellite inputs or switches wasn't connected properly (code 530).

For satellite input #3 on Port1, Port2 & Port3 it says "WA.4 Good Connection, No Signal". Satellite inputs #1 and #2 look good. Those two also have green check marks next 110, 119 and 129; Tuner 3 has three red "X".

any chance to post a picture ? it will cut typing (and mistyping :) )

#15 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Problem is that the middle lead on the cable is too short it needs to stick out past the fittings.  Once you get a properly fitting cable it will will work fine.

RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#16 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:05 PM

I set a recording on my hopper with record this tonight, and the schedule showed it was completed, but it's no where to be found to play, this a bad hopper or something else ???
Norm

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,890 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:08 PM

could be

#18 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:14 PM

I set a recording on my hopper with record this tonight, and the schedule showed it was completed, but it's no where to be found to play, this a bad hopper or something else ???

I had this. I did a search and it came up as 100% watched and recorded. Went back to the record menu and it wasn't there. The program was intact and watchable.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#19 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

I had this. I did a search and it came up as 100% watched and recorded. Went back to the record menu and it wasn't there. The program was intact and watchable.
Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

This didn't work for me , recordings that show completed are not found... Guess it maybe time for a service call
Norm

#20 OFFLINE   normang

normang

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Lost another recording tonight, Arrow has been recording for weeks, and tonight it shows completed in the schedule and it's no where to be found...really annoyIng...
Norm

Protected By... spam firewall...And...