Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

GenieGo - Stuck on "Waiting to Prepare"

Best Answer Leftcoastdave , 22 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Heads up HR24-500 users - there is a fix available from DIRECTV.

I opened an incident with tech support last week. In a follow up call the GG support center gave up and escalated the problem to Engineering. 

Last evening I got a call from a GG expert who advised me there was a workaround that has gotten HR24-500 users back on the air vis a vis GG.  Engineering contacted a case management guy who walked me through a DVR procedure that effectively reset and reloaded everything except the recorded content. After a 30 minute journey which included a trip through diagnostic screens and keypad entries that I never knew exisited, the DVR and GG were playing well together. 

Bottom line, after the HR24 reset, my DVR is gleefully preparing and downloading content previously ignored by GG.  For those of you in  need, the GG support hotline is 800-442-1635.  The entire support staff consists of 4 guys scattered across  planet earth.

Also, FWIW, I learned there are probably less than 2,500 GG's shipped and installed in the USA.  A surprisingly low number given the DIRECTV subscriber base of close to 30,000,000. 

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:45 PM

For some reason some DVR programs download immediately but others freeze at "waiting to prepare".  Once a program reports waiting to prepare on one client, no other client device can initiate a successful download.  Once the offending program is deleted, by trial and error other programs properly download without delay or start "preparing" instantly. Then after a complete preparation, the download begins thereafter..

I am seeing two problems. 

(1)  Some programs stubbornly refuse to begin a "preparation" and need to be deleted to free up the GG.

(2)  If any client (of the five allowed clients) reports a "waiting to prepare", no download activity will begin on a 2nd client.

Have done a hard reset of the GG and reinstalled the GG app on all devices but still see these problems.

Is anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thx

Dave

Edited by Leftcoastdave, 20 April 2014 - 12:46 PM.

Ut Prosim

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,364 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

are those waiting to prepare PPV, VOD or OTA?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

are those waiting to prepare PPV, VOD or OTA?

Nope, all are standard DIRECTV programs via satellite.  Programs include archived episodes of Breaking Bad, HBO series such as Game of Thrones, and movies from Cinemax or Showtime, and wife's HGTV CH 229 home improvement shows,  just to name a few.

FWIW, I do not see a pattern.  Have 6 DVR's and have tried various downloads from each.  Some work, some do not. 

The one constant is that if the selected program reports "waiting to prep",  other activity queues up until the delete is processed.

Edited by Leftcoastdave, 20 April 2014 - 12:55 PM.

Ut Prosim

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,364 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Have you tried resetting the DVR giving you problems 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Have you tried resetting the DVR giving you problems 

Should have mentioned in OP it is not restricted to any one of the six DVR's.  I suppose I could reboot the entire six DVR's and try again to get a more scientific sample. 

Maybe tomorrow,  tied up the rest of today w/family activity.

Edited by Leftcoastdave, 20 April 2014 - 12:58 PM.

Ut Prosim

#6 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

The GenieGo can only prepare/transcode one program at a time. So if one show is locking up the GenieGo, a second won't start on a free device.

When you're trying to transcode a show, are you also trying to use that same DVR to playback another show?  I believe that will stop your show from transcoding.

#7 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 01:49 PM

The GenieGo can only prepare/transcode one program at a time. So if one show is locking up the GenieGo, a second won't start on a free device.

When you're trying to transcode a show, are you also trying to use that same DVR to playback another show?  I believe that will stop your show from transcoding.

Understand the notion of GG only doing one task at a time.  Also, none of the DVR's are in playback mode during these tests.  I probably need to refine my test samples across all 6 DVR's tomorrow to be sure there is not a pattern I am missing.  I did reboot one of the DVR's and made sure sharing was "on" even though GG doesn't care about playlist sharing.  Post reboot I still have the original problem.

Ut Prosim

#8 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:05 PM

It's too bad the GenieGo can't transcode multiple shows at once, but the issue you're having is why the GenieGo gets hung up on some shows. 

Although at work, if we have a file that hangs up a printer, other files in the queue won't print until the first one is either completed or deleted from the queue. 

Was your hard-reset holding down the red button for two minutes?

#9 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

There have been reports over the months from HR24-500 users that GG won't prepare anything from that DVR.

Also so you don't knock yourself out with trying to figure out which one is an issue, there's an quick and easy test.

Assuming you are at home, just try to Watch Now any program from any DVR.   I've found that the ability to stream in home is one way to look for a problem with Preparing shows being stuck.

They are linked.  If you can't Prepare, you can't Stream.

#10 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

It's too bad the GenieGo can't transcode multiple shows at once, but the issue you're having is why the GenieGo gets hung up on some shows. 

Although at work, if we have a file that hangs up a printer, other files in the queue won't print until the first one is either completed or deleted from the queue. 

Was your hard-reset holding down the red button for two minutes?

Yes, a full 2 minutes

Ut Prosim

#11 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

There have been reports over the months from HR24-500 users that GG won't prepare anything from that DVR.

Also so you don't knock yourself out with trying to figure out which one is an issue, there's an quick and easy test.

Assuming you are at home, just try to Watch Now any program from any DVR.   I've found that the ability to stream in home is one way to look for a problem with Preparing shows being stuck.

They are linked.  If you can't Prepare, you can't Stream.

Further testing isolated the problem to my one and only HR24-500. 

If I try to stream, I get a message "HD DVR too busy, try streaming later".  If I try to download, any and all programs freeze at "waiting to prepare".   The HR24 is connected to the internet and its content can be seen on any other DVR via whole-home, but GG access is futile. Did a full 2 min hard reset, no improvement.

All other DVR's (HR20-700. HR21-100. and Genie) behave properly.

One would think if the HR24-500 is a known GG problem, the DIRECTV support staff would know this.  It is  frustrating when end users such as the folks on the forums are far more proficient than  the DIRECTV support staff.

Ut Prosim

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,364 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

Further testing isolated the problem to my one and only HR24-500.

If I try to stream, I get a message "HD DVR too busy, try streaming later". If I try to download, any and all programs freeze at "waiting to prepare". The HR24 is connected to the internet and its content can be seen on any other DVR via whole-home, but GG access is futile. Did a full 2 min hard reset, no improvement.

All other DVR's (HR20-700. HR21-100. and Genie) behave properly.

One would think if the HR24-500 is a known GG problem, the DIRECTV support staff would know this. It is frustrating when end users such as the folks on the forums are far more proficient than the DIRECTV support staff.

DirecTV is very well aware of this issue. Now the CSRs, that is another story. But there is a reason for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Leftcoastdave likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

Good call!
  • Leftcoastdave likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:14 AM   Best Answer

Heads up HR24-500 users - there is a fix available from DIRECTV.

I opened an incident with tech support last week. In a follow up call the GG support center gave up and escalated the problem to Engineering. 

Last evening I got a call from a GG expert who advised me there was a workaround that has gotten HR24-500 users back on the air vis a vis GG.  Engineering contacted a case management guy who walked me through a DVR procedure that effectively reset and reloaded everything except the recorded content. After a 30 minute journey which included a trip through diagnostic screens and keypad entries that I never knew exisited, the DVR and GG were playing well together. 

Bottom line, after the HR24 reset, my DVR is gleefully preparing and downloading content previously ignored by GG.  For those of you in  need, the GG support hotline is 800-442-1635.  The entire support staff consists of 4 guys scattered across  planet earth.

Also, FWIW, I learned there are probably less than 2,500 GG's shipped and installed in the USA.  A surprisingly low number given the DIRECTV subscriber base of close to 30,000,000. 

Ut Prosim

#15 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Glad you got it working. Perhaps you can share the keystrokes you used? So it can be paid forward. Or a PM to me if you arent comfortable sharing it openly.

Also the 800 number is a general escalation number where a PIN gets you to someone to has access to more tools. Not just GG but could be anything.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,664 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

That is a surprisingly low number! Thanks for sharing, and glad you're up and running. :up:

/steve

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,267 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

But that number sheds a lot if light on certain things to doesn't it?

#18 OFFLINE   Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 02:34 PM

Glad you got it working. Perhaps you can share the keystrokes you used? So it can be paid forward. Or a PM to me if you arent comfortable sharing it openly.

Also the 800 number is a general escalation number where a PIN gets you to someone to has access to more tools. Not just GG but could be anything.

I would be happy to share, but the truth is I cannot remember most of the permutations he took me through. 

It was an interactive reset that took us the better part of 20 minutes to complete.  Restarting the HR24 via a set of diagnostic screens was intermixed with resetting the remote control to AV2 (for DVR #3 because I have two others in the same equipment stack).  Programming the remote control is of course well known and well documented elsewhere on the forums.

I think he had me long press "select" at some point during the power up sequence.  I am pretty sure it was before we ever got to steps 1 and 2 of downloading.  At that juncture we entered a series of yellow text on black background diagnostic screens each requiring specific selections.  There were at least 5 of these screens.  Later in the process we keyboarded 2-4-6-8 to return to normal power up (I think that is right).  After the reset was complete we went into the normal menus to set recording defaults and power management.  Once I saw the perfectly intact playlist, I promptly forgot how we got there.

Any additional info would be pure speculation on my part.  All I can say is it was a lengthy process that he described as a "workaround" known to only a few folks in his posse. He wasn't being secretive, he just said this HR24 problem has only come up 2 or 3 times before and that he developed the workaround on his own.  He did say he was 3 for 3 on fixing the misbehaving DVR's.

The permanent fix is still under development but probably not forthcoming any time soon. The engineers are buried trying to get GenieGo2 into Beta.  And he wouldn't offer an opinion on when that might be.

Sorry I could not be more specific.  I was on the phone yesterday afternoon for 65 mins w/level 1 and an hour later on the phone with Mr. Fixit for an additional 35 minutes.  By the time we instituted a fix, I was suffering from DVR PTSD  having struggled with GG startup glitches and functional troubleshooting for the past 4 days.

EDIT:  Let me add my thanks to all of you who took the time to chime in on this thread.  The pointer to the HR24 as the culprit was the catalyst to finding a solution.  As you can tell I have been around these forums since 2004 (and AVS since 2001).  I am not an early adopter by nature, but I have been doing this sort of tinkering ever since I bought my first ReplayTV in 1Q1999. DBSTalk and AVS are my go to sites when I need help on a problem of this nature.  Thanks again for your collective assistance.  Life is so much easier because of your  expertise and willingness to help other users.

Edited by Leftcoastdave, 22 April 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Ut Prosim

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:44 PM

That is a surprisingly low number! Thanks for sharing, and glad you're up and running. :up:

But that number sheds a lot if light on certain things to doesn't it?

Given that a good chunk of the customer base doesn't have WHDS, that's a big slice right off the top.  Needing always-on broadband and an established LAN takes another swath out of eligibility.

Finally, many can't abide by its designed-in limitations.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,364 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

Given that a good chunk of the customer base doesn't have WHDS, that's a big slice right off the top.  

FYI, WHDVR is not needed for GG, but you would not know that. 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...