Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Braves game blackout in Atlanta

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

Could someone explain to me why today's Braves/Mets game was blacked on on Fox Sports South? Game was in NY.....I am in Atlanta! Don't get it....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

It's part of a contract dispute:
http://radiotvtalk.b...d-braves-games/

To sum it up, Dish renewed their contract with Fox Sports South several years ago. In the time since then Fox Sports South made a new deal with the Braves that gave them the 51 weekend games that previously aired on Peachtree TV in the Atlanta DMA, but are only making them available to providers who pay more.

Edited by KyL416, 20 April 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

Thanks for the info!  I had not read this.....Good link that explains it all......NOT GOOD!  But at least I now know why.....Funny how this ONLY effects Dish customers, yet I am paying $135 a month for their service, with all the Joeys I have!!!!!!

#4 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

Same thing happened here in Cleveland years ago with Fox Sports Ohio.  Had "The Best Damned Sports Show" instead of some Indians games back in '03.  The year before OTA games nearly went totally away and FSO got 150 games for the '02 season.  While I did get all 150 games in '02 in '03 FSO used the addition of the formerly OTA games as an excuse to get more money from E*.  Dish subs were never told about this situation, we had to find out the way you just did in Atlanta.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#5 OFFLINE   epokopac

epokopac

Godfather

• Registered
  • 333 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, Georgia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Fox's greed knows no bounds. I've always got MLB Strike Zone and MLB Tonight to keep me up to date on what's happening for the Braves games that Fox blacks out in the Atlanta DMA (weekends mostly) and seems to think E* should pay extra for.

#6 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

I feel like it's the 70's again....I'm listening to my LOCAL team on the internet right now...only way I can hear the Braves today in 2014!!!!! Unbelievable!! I hear this isn't happening at Direct....maybe I should check into them.....when will this end??
  • Orion9 likes this

#7 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:03 PM

It won't end till the next contract. FOX pulls this all the time, during a contract they acquire more games from someone DISH already had a contract with, then want more money for those games than DISH agreed to. Meanwhile Direct TV adds a surcharge now to some areas because they do add the games. So it's a choice.

If this is the most important thing perhaps change 

Edited by tampa8, 27 April 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Nah....I'm paying enough as it is.....still frustrating though....

#9 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:57 PM

when will this end??

When the majority of viewers decide to stop paying instead of paying and complaining? I suspect that's not coming any time soon.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...