Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix announces price increases for new customers

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,498 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Existing customers will keep the old price for a time, possibly two years. New customers would see a $1 or $2 increase.

http://arstechnica.c...cription-plans/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

That's kind of refreshing... Existing customers get lower pricing while new customers get the increase. Usually it's the other way around.

• damondlt and Wayne Kjelsrud like this

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:34 PM

You can bet it doesn't last long...  they grow the business by adding new customers.  If a new customer has to pay more than an "existing" customer... what happens once that new customer becomes an existing customer and wants to know why he is paying more than another existing customer?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

It is really inevitable, in my opinion.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

You can bet it doesn't last long...  they grow the business by adding new customers.  If a new customer has to pay more than an "existing" customer... what happens once that new customer becomes an existing customer and wants to know why he is paying more than another existing customer?

The same thing that happens with our satellite services when someone who signed up yesterday got a different discount than someone who signed up today after the offer ended. Or a person on a grandfathered cell phone plan who gets a better rate than new customers. The world is full of "buy now and save" that doesn't apply to customers after the window.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:18 AM

I have always been surprised that Netflix charges the same for a streaming customer as a 1 DVD at a time one. They have the extra cost of postage.

#7 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:19 AM

I have always been surprised that Netflix charges the same for a streaming customer as a 1 DVD at a time one. They have the extra cost of postage.

I would think that physical media and the supporting staff is still cheaper than the cost for all the streaming rights.  So it doesn't surprise me that the price is the same.

Edited by snowcat, 22 April 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#8 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:43 AM

AT& T is getting in it now:

http://www.bloomberg...html?cmpid=yhoo

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#9 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

It's still a great deal for new customers and if and when our grandfathered bills go up, I will pay the required amount. NetFlix is an Awesome service that has the programming I want

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

AT& T is getting in it now:

http://www.bloomberg...html?cmpid=yhoo

Now? There's no deal with NF and AT&T, yet.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:45 PM

My point was...

If you're a business (making up numbers for the example)... and you have a million customers... and you raise prices for new customers and over the next year you add 300,000 new customers... what happens when those new customers want to know why they are paying more?  Once you've added a bunch, you become dependent on that income from them... but they start to number enough to want the same deal as other existing customers.

What's the difference in a 2 year "existing" customer and a "new" one who has now been with you for a year?

Not talking about bonuses for signing up that new customers get or temporary discounts... but a pricing tier that is only related to whether you were there last week or not.

The grandfather of prices like this never lasts long with companies before they force everyone onto the new pricing scheme.

#12 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:55 PM

I feel I get more than my money's worth with Netflix, so while I'm happy to keep the current price for as long as I can. If, at some point, it goes up a buck or two, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,237 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

The grandfather of prices like this never lasts long with companies before they force everyone onto the new pricing scheme.

Congratulations ... you have answered your own complaint.

Everyone who has Netflix now will be billed for their Netflix service. New customers will be sold Netflix 2 service (or some billing code where Netflix knows if it is an old grandfathered price or a new price. The same way DirecTV offers old grandfathered TV packages. Eventually grandfather dies and the old customers get Netflix 2 service. It is all done on the backend.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

When netflix gets to $20 a month, then let's start complaining. Until then it's only about 2% of my current Directv bill.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

Congratulations ... you have answered your own complaint.

Everyone who has Netflix now will be billed for their Netflix service. New customers will be sold Netflix 2 service (or some billing code where Netflix knows if it is an old grandfathered price or a new price. The same way DirecTV offers old grandfathered TV packages. Eventually grandfather dies and the old customers get Netflix 2 service. It is all done on the backend.

Yeah, that's the easiest way to do it.  I was thinking more of the people who will cheer "yeah, screw the new guy"... not understanding that this is eventually the way the cookie will crumble.

#16 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

Then there's this:

Netflix Is Launching Its Own Cable Channel

The next obvious question is "Will DirecTV carry it?"

And if it is, will it be in HD?

DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#17 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Nice!

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Interesting...  so then Netflix becomes a $10+ a month cable channel in that scenario...  I wonder if the "it's a great deal for $10 a month" people will feel about that?

#19 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

From the sounds of the article, it seems like it's not a channel in the traditional sense. It sounds like a channel that's really just an integrated app.

Instead of streaming through a third party setup, like a Blu-ray player, those who already subscribe to Netflix would be able to set the TV to the right channel, thus launching an app that would enable buyers to stream whatever available content they want.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like they want to launch an on demand channel
To me.
  • damondlt likes this

Protected By... spam firewall...And...