Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

External Storage of HRXX

Genie Hr24 Hr23 Hr22 Hr21

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Expanded Recording Capacity (39 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you Expand your recording Capacity

1. Yes (37 votes [94.87%])

Percentage of vote: 94.87%

2. No (2 votes [5.13%])

Percentage of vote: 5.13%

By How Much did you Expand

1. 500 GB (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

2. 1 TB (15 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

3. 1.5 TB (2 votes [5.00%])

4. 2 TB (18 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

5. 3 TB (1 votes [2.50%])

Percentage of vote: 2.50%

6. Larger than 3 TB (2 votes [5.00%])

Was your Expansion Enough

1. Yes (33 votes [82.50%])

Percentage of vote: 82.50%

2. No (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

What Percentage of your Capacity is currently Utilized

1. 0-10 (2 votes [5.00%])

2. 11-20 (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

3. 21-30 (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. 31-40 (4 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

5. 41-50 (8 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. 51-60 (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

7. 61-70 (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

8. 71-80 (3 votes [7.50%])

9. 81-90 (3 votes [7.50%])

10. Oops..I better start to weed out some stuff (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

If you have more than 1 DVR did you expand those as well

1. Yes (23 votes [57.50%])

Percentage of vote: 57.50%

2. No (17 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:54 PM

HR44= 2TB

HR24= 1TB

That's all I need as adding more expandable space, would make DVR's slower, think adding videos and music to near it's capacity on a computer.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,876 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

No, I just dont record everything that airs!!!!  I record the shows that I KNOW I am going to watch.

Different approaches...we use the DVRs to make sure we always have something to watch. If something sounds interesting, we record it, whether we KNOW we will like it or not. How else do you ever find anything new?

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:02 AM

Different approaches...we use the DVRs to make sure we always have something to watch. If something sounds interesting, we record it, whether we KNOW we will like it or not. How else do you ever find anything new?

by watching the pilots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:34 AM

I tend to record like Diane does.  If there's something that I want to watch or think that I want to watch, I'll record it.  Sometimes, due to time constraints, there are a more shows aired that I want to watch, than I have time to watch.  Rather than fall behind in a lot of series, I'll end up not watching any episiodes of a given series unitl a time where my time allows me to catch up on that series.  In looking at upcoming schedules, I think that time will be approaching soon.  A lot of shows that I like are ending and new series that I like aren't starting until June.  In the meantime, I'll have time to catch up on Cosmos and a few other shows.  The same goes for movies.  If I see something that's been sitting low in my Netflix queue for a while, I'll record it and remove if from my queue.  A few weeks (or months) later, when I get around to watching it, I will.

There are also some shows that I do like to watch again a few months after the season has ended.  Game of Thrones is one of those shows.  I'll archive GOT on my DVR and probably rewatch the entire season once before the Blu-ray box set comes out.  Once I have it on Blu-ray, I'll delete it from my DVR.

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:50 AM

by watching the pilots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And if it's no good you've wasted your time.  When it comes to a new series I record it but don't watch it until I know it's really good or once it has been renewed for a 2nd season.   If I do otherwise I've wasted my time, like I did with Sleepy Hollow.   I also like to bing watch some series like Homeland, Banshee, Black Sails, American Horror Story, The Americans, etc so therefore I record the whole season before watching a single episode.   I still haven't started on season 1 of Bates Motel but have all of it plus what has been shown of season 2 so far.

To each his own and one shouldn't be chastised for how they want to record and watch their shows.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:19 AM

And if it's no good you've wasted your time.  When it comes to a new series I record it but don't watch it until I know it's really good or once it has been renewed for a 2nd season.   If I do otherwise I've wasted my time, like I did with Sleepy Hollow.   I also like to bing watch some series like Homeland, Banshee, Black Sails, American Horror Story, The Americans, etc so therefore I record the whole season before watching a single episode.   I still haven't started on season 1 of Bates Motel but have all of it plus what has been shown of season 2 so far.

To each his own and one shouldn't be chastised for how they want to record and watch their shows.

I use the same approach.  Sleepy Hollow caught me too.  Should have waited until it got cancelled instead of watching a few episodes and getting bored.

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Did you actually read my question? or you just decided to post without first checking the facts.  I NEVER chastised anyone, I was just WONDERING.....  I have quoted my question for your delight below 

I can never understand why folks have so much on their DVRs.  I record everything I watch, but at the same time I watch everything that I record.  I do not keep anything recorded.  once a show is watched, is gone.  my one Genie sits at 25 percent full, my other one sits at 10% at most.  my son's HR24, well that is another story 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

Did you actually read my question? or you just decided to post without first checking the facts.  I NEVER chastised anyone, I was just WONDERING.....  I have quoted my question for your delight below 

Did you read my post?  Where do I say YOU chastised anyone?  If I were saying that you were chastising people I would have come right out and said that.  Calm down...

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:29 AM

I use the same approach.  Sleepy Hollow caught me too.  Should have waited until it got cancelled instead of watching a few episodes and getting bored.

If I do otherwise I've wasted my time, like I did with Sleepy Hollow. 

This is off topic but do you guys not realize that Sleepy Hollow was renewed?  It's coming back in the fall.

#30 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,890 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

This is off topic but do you guys not realize that Sleepy Hollow was renewed?  It's coming back in the fall.

Yup, I realize.  Watching the first 2 episodes was still a waste of my time.  I should have waited to let someone tell me it sucked instead of finding out on my own.

• Rich likes this
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#31 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:51 PM

I never bothered with adding external storage.  I've had DVRs die, and lose programming that I never got around to watching.  This has me wondering about something, though.

If you use an external drive and your DVR dies, will you be able to view programming on the external drive with a replacement DVR?

#32 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,930 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

I never bothered with adding external storage.  I've had DVRs die, and lose programming that I never got around to watching.  This has me wondering about something, though.

If you use an external drive and your DVR dies, will you be able to view programming on the external drive with a replacement DVR?

so many times written everywhere: NO !

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

unfortunately you wont be able to.  only recordings made OTA can be playback, satellite recordings not so much

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#34 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:32 PM

unfortunately you wont be able to.  only recordings made OTA can be playback, satellite recordings not so much

No biggie, I just had a brain-fart regarding the access cards and encryption.  It makes sense for them considering all the hacking that had gone on.

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Yup, I realize.  Watching the first 2 episodes was still a waste of my time.  I should have waited to let someone tell me it sucked instead of finding out on my own.

Hard to believe that show got renewed.  

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,930 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

No biggie, I just had a brain-fart regarding the access cards and encryption.  It makes sense for them considering all the hacking that had gone on.

What really makes sense is to let us use any HDD on any HR within our accounts.  What they do now makes no sense at all.

Rich

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie, Hr24, Hr23, Hr22, Hr21

Protected By... spam firewall...And...