Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish looking to debut Internet TV service this summer -Bloomberg

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Where DISH (and eventually DirecTV) will "win" is with exclusive content. A basic package that includes locals and at least the top channels from each provider cannot be replicated via Amazon or Netflix. While some content is available later, live or close to live content is missing.

Perhaps the young people will search dozens of sources to find what they are looking for ... or watch illegal streams if no paid stream can be found. DISH will bring the benefit of having one source for content - a legal source (no rationalization or debate over "personal use" needed). And as the prices of all the pieces keep going up (the cost of Amazon Prime and Netflix increasing) DISH's packages will be competitive.

Not having PayTV service is not a long term solution. Those that provide content are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts ... they want money. Expect more content behind paywalls or susbcriptions.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,417 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:28 PM

If you look at the trend for young people, they don't have pay TV service.  They have high-speed Internet instead.  Dish's streaming package is an attempt to tap into that market.  But if the issue is not availability but simply that young people don't like paying high fees, and the alternatives are Amazon Prime and Netflix, Dish is going to have to keep their packages small and prices low to be competitive.  I know streaming doesn't work for everyone.

Where DISH (and eventually DirecTV) will "win" is with exclusive content. A basic package that includes locals and at least the top channels from each provider cannot be replicated via Amazon or Netflix. While some content is available later, live or close to live content is missing.

Perhaps the young people will search dozens of sources to find what they are looking for ... or watch illegal streams if no paid stream can be found. DISH will bring the benefit of having one source for content - a legal source (no rationalization or debate over "personal use" needed). And as the prices of all the pieces keep going up (the cost of Amazon Prime and Netflix increasing) DISH's packages will be competitive.

Not having PayTV service is not a long term solution. Those that provide content are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts ... they want money. Expect more content behind paywalls or susbcriptions.

Buried in the story underlying the thread Dish Is Partnering With This Startup To Make Cellphone Internet 1,000 Times Faster Than 4G is Charlie Ergen & Company's effort to capture the best of both worlds. Your cellphone doesn't need a faster connection for phone calls. What the headlines keep twisting is what it's all about. Think about how significant the headline Dish Is Partnering With This Startup To Make Cellphone Wireless Mobile and Local Internet 1,000 Times Faster Than 4G.  Of course, such a system would allow you to piggyback phone service.

Consider the benefits of having this capability along with your satellite TV service as described in a February Bloomberg article I linked in the February thread “This is as big a change to wireless as tubes-to-transistor was to electronics” (emphasis added):

Perlman tried his very best to prove the critics wrong today by unveiling a commercialized version of his wireless innovation, now known as pCell or personal cell technology. Perlman bills the wireless system as basically the successor to LTE, the current high-speed wireless technology. In demonstrations at his laboratory, Perlman showed off iPhones, Surface tablets, and TVs streaming massive files—the 4K UltraHD version of House of Cards from Netflix, for example—via his own wireless networking equipment. The demonstration proved not only that the high-speed wireless technology worked but also that it would work with existing devices that support LTE.

...The problem Perlman is trying to solve revolves around how current wireless networks are built. Companies like AT&T and Verizon will put up a cell tower that sends out a signal, which must then be shared by any people in range. The idea is to have the signals overlap at the edges of their range like a series of circles nudging up against each other. The arrangement must be done very artfully because the circles cause interference if they’re too close. As a result, there are spots in cities like New York, Chicago, and San Francisco where you often have tons of people in the same cell all placing calls and pulling down data to their devices at the same time, and their connections slow because they’re all sharing the bandwidth in that given area. The congestion issue is expected to get worse and worse as people keeping adding wireless devices and downloading larger and larger media files.

Under Perlman’s pCell system, interference from the cells is not an issue. Instead of blasting out a dumb signal across a given area, Perlman and his team of researchers have developed a smart transmission system. Their networking equipment locates a device like a smartphone and uses complex mathematical operations to create a unique signal—hence the personal cell idea—just for that device. The upshot of this is that you can place the pCell transmitters anywhere and not worry about their signals bleeding into each other. And instead of sharing a signal, each person gets to tap into close to the full capacity of the transmitter. “We believe this is the largest increase in capacity in the history of wireless technology,” says Perlman. “It’s like the wireless equivalent of fiber-optic cables.”

Like all new systems there are problems to be solved. The first one was for Perlman to find the right partner and he and Ergen have found each other. Not only does Ergen bring money, he also brings bandwidth, a lot of it, along with satellite technology. I could see a day when the uplink from your TV or whatever device to order streaming video would be via pCell wireless technology but downlink live TV (think sporting events in particular) could be via satellite in your home or business to avoid extremely high traffic volumes or wireless if you're mobile.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#23 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Local cable/ISP (Atlantic Broadband) is offering Tivo's for their STB with Netflix capability included in the Tivo (separate Netflix subscription required). Seems like a more sensible approach than every cable/ISP trying to introduce their own Netflix-like service. While the ISP has not indicated this, adding Amazon and Hulu would seem like a logical extension.

• fireponcoal likes this

#24 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

I grew up in a house without PayTV service.  The broadcast model worked for many years, and it may see a resurgence as more and more people "cut the cord" and start using antennas again.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

I grew up in a house without PayTV service.  The broadcast model worked for many years, and it may see a resurgence as more and more people "cut the cord" and start using antennas again.

If one is willing to give up the content then leaving PayTV is possible ... but it is not as simple as saying "we did it before, we can do it again". In the good old days content was either on the major broadcast stations or not available at all. Early cable stations thrived on bringing missing content to people. And over time leached content away from broadcast.

The second challenge is in receiving a usable broadcast. In the good old days we lived with some static on our analog feeds but overall a decent picture. Receiving today's digital broadcasts is not as easy. Static is dropouts ... and we are spoiled by PQ. We're not going back.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

It is hard to leave a pay TV service. Network TV unlike 20 years ago has far to many reality shows, talk shows, court shows, comedies that never compare to what was on
20 or more years ago.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#27 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:00 AM

If one is willing to give up the content then leaving PayTV is possible ... but it is not as simple as saying "we did it before, we can do it again". In the good old days content was either on the major broadcast stations or not available at all. Early cable stations thrived on bringing missing content to people. And over time leached content away from broadcast.

The second challenge is in receiving a usable broadcast. In the good old days we lived with some static on our analog feeds but overall a decent picture. Receiving today's digital broadcasts is not as easy. Static is dropouts ... and we are spoiled by PQ. We're not going back.

I gave up some content when I cancelled Dish.  But far less than I thought I would.  I record 2 shows a week, and I'm having trouble keeping up.  My twice-weekly visits to the library and a large reserve queue mean I'm getting a ton of movies with 1-2 week borrowing windows.  Sports is perhaps the biggest loss, but CBS just picked up half the NFL Network season, and ESPN3 has quite a lot of what I want to see.

I hear the "digital reception is not easy" argument a lot, but my experience has been the opposite.  Getting a good-looking analog signal was very difficult.  Snow, noise and static were bearable but pervasive.  However, with the digital revolution, I've been getting perfect, drop-out free reception for years.  I have relatives who spent years struggling with reception using junky WalMart indoor antennas who now get all their stations perfectly.

Mostly what I hear is chicken-and-egg type arguments: the programming is on cable, so you have to get cable to get the programming.  But the truth is, the programming is where the viewers are, and there will reach a point where cord-cutters will mean that there simply aren't enough viewers on cable for those providers to outbid the broadcast networks.  That's what I'm hoping for: a resurgence in broadcast television.

#28 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:05 AM

It is hard to leave a pay TV service. Network TV unlike 20 years ago has far to many reality shows, talk shows, court shows, comedies that never compare to what was on
20 or more years ago.

The truth is, there weren't that many good comedies 20 years ago.  We remember the few that survived and made it, but there were a ton of flops and "Alf"-type shows.  In 20 years, people will be asking why there aren't more shows like "How I Met Your Mother" and "Modern Family."

#29 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:59 AM

Update: Dish Network to start streaming video service by early 2015

Dish Network plans to launch a streaming TV video service of shows by Disney and other programmers by early 2015, trying to capture some of the over-the-top video business currently going to Netflix and Amazon....

joeclayton927*304xx784-523-0-36.jpg
Joe Clayton, CEO of Dish Network Corp., and Charlie Ergen, chairman
and co-founder, spoke Thursday about the Douglas County-based
satellite company's plan to start a subscription online streaming video
service, similar to Netflix or Hulu Plus.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#30 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,590 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

Update: Dish aims to mollify cord cutters with mysterious new Internet-TV service

(Digitaltrends.com) - This week, Dish Network revealed that its upcoming over-the-top (OTT) live-TV service – which has remained enigmatic up to this point – is being developed for an audience that most pay-TV operators are loathe to placate: “Cord cutters, cord nevers and what we call cord haters,” said Dish’s GM of Interactive and Advanced TV, Adam Lowy.

Bernstein Research analyst Todd Juenger was tasked with hypothesizing which channels Dish is likely to include in its OTT service, as well as how much each network would contribute to the overall subscription cost....

Hypothetical Dish PSS Package:

chart.png

(courtesy of Multichannel News)

Full Story Here

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#31 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Thing is.... I already get broadcast for free in very clear HD, and I don't need/want ESPN. For me, the package as listed above would just be a waste of $15, and the stuff available on all the other channels.... I can mostly get on Netflix or Hulu, albeit a season or 2 later in the case of Netflix.

I don't think a cord cutter is going to smack down $30 (I am presuming Dish wants to make a profit off of the hypothetical list of $22 worth of channels) for an online TV service.

The only advantage I can see in all this is for those who travel a lot, and want TV service on the go.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#32 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:46 AM

As someone who's preparing to call and cut the cord this week now that Game of Thrones is done...this is interesting, but that hypothetical list is worthless to me. 

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#33 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

It appears that Dish does not understand why folks cut the cord. And they're too late.

#34 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Let me see.  One of the primary reasons people disconnect from PayTv is the "Sports Tax", a direct subsidy from the non-sports fan to the sports fan.

And Dish thinks that making people pay the "Sports Tax" will draw subscribers to its new offering?

• tommiet and allen98311 like this
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:26 PM

Some people cut the cord because they can't afford to pay it.  You can't fix that, because the economy is what it is right now.

Other people are cord-cutting because they think they can get the content cheaper elsewhere... and some of it they can... for now... but that's a moving target that over time will cease to be as cheap by comparison.  Enough people cut cords one of two things happens... Content goes away, or other options prices rise.  Either way we will be having this discussion over and over for the rest of our lives... only one day the "cord cutter" movement will become a "cord grabber" movement because people will want to get away from the "greedy" cord-cut options and they will want their cord to save money!  It all cycles around.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#36 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Aereo costs $8 and provides subchannels. Of course, Aereo still has to win their Supreme Court case about copyright infringement. If I had a chance to choose my channels:

Denver Locals

TCM

Big10 Network

ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU

All channels in the BlockBuster Pack (EPIX, the Plex moves, et. al., EPIX DriveIn)

Encore channels

SyFy

Chiller

HDNet Movies

AMC

And a few others.

#37 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I should pay less because I don't want the kids, sports and movie channels.  My wife and I mainly want the news and some of the mainstream channels (i.e. A&E, Bravo, CNN, Al Jazeera, Lifetime, BBC America, MTV, etc.).

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:01 PM

If I could pick from those above, my bill would be around $5/mo.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Bernstein Research analyst Todd Juenger was tasked with hypothesizing which channels Dish is likely to include in its OTT service, as well as how much each network would contribute to the overall subscription cost....

So his guess ... add one's own grain of salt. ESPN for $7.49 without requiring other channels be carried? I don't think so.

My guess ... packages similar to what one sees via satellite. Perhaps a locals/welcome package will be available (a certainty if Aereo wins). But expect something similar to AT120, etc. At about the same price.

#40 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Let me see.  One of the primary reasons people disconnect from PayTv is the "Sports Tax", a direct subsidy from the non-sports fan to the sports fan.

And Dish thinks that making people pay the "Sports Tax" will draw subscribers to its new offering?

AMEN!

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

Protected By... spam firewall...And...