Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving External HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jckelsey

jckelsey

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:17 AM

I have an external hard drive attached to my 722 receiver with all of my 'keeper' shows.  I want to take that drive to our new house, which is a hopper/joey setup.  When I plug the drive in, it says 'nay' because the new house is actually a different account (under my wife's name).  Dish support says you cant move the drive between a 722 and a hopper regardless of who the account is under...which seems ridiculous ot me.  Is that really the case??

Thanks all!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

No, that's not the case at all.  You can use the EHD from a 722 on a Hopper just fine.  But the EHD  is tied to the account number, and since the new home has a new account number, your current EHD's content won't be playable or useable on it.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 ONLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:45 AM

The type of DVR you hook it up to, is pretty much an irrelevant issue here.  Dish external drives' contents are encrypted with a code that is tied to the account that they are used with.  You can't move an external drive to a different account.  If you have already closed out your old account, then I fear you have also effectively lost all your recorded shows on that hard drive.

#4 OFFLINE   jckelsey

jckelsey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

The account is still active.  Is there any way to get this data moved?

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

move back to 722, swap internal drives between 722s, make new EHD transfer ...

#6 OFFLINE   RBA

RBA

Godfather

• Registered
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

In real time transfer the programming to DVDs.  You made the mistake of trying to beat the system with a new account for discounts now you will pay the price with lost programming.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:59 PM

Your 722 is on a different account than your Hopper/Joey.  As others have said.  This is the problem and there is no way around it.  The EHD is encrypted according to the account it is on and can only be shared by other receivers on that same account.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:23 PM

while it's looks like making beef from ground beef, but it's practically possible using a method in post#5

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:57 PM

while it's looks like making beef from ground beef, but it's practically possible using a method in post#5

No, it isn't.

First off... this person doesn't have another 722.  He has a 722 on one account and a Hopper on another.

Secondly...  if he opens leased receivers to swap hard drives he would risk incurring penalty fees from Dish when they discover he was messing with leased equipment.  He didn't say whether or not he owns his equipment. Assuming that your suggestion works, it would only be available to a small portion of Dish customers that own their own receivers.

Thirdly... assuming your solution does work, it would seem to be a violation of terms of service bypassing encryption to swap content from one account to another... and I do not think that is something we should discuss any further.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   jckelsey

jckelsey

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

Correct, only a single 722 and a hopper on a different account.  I didn't know if was just a matter of calling Dish and saying 'I want to move this EHD to a different account'.  No worries if not, I have a workaround.   Thanks for the replies all!

#11 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

jckelsey,

Based on the configuration you are explaining, you cannot move an EHD from one home to another DISH receiver on a different account.

Here is the reason why, any DISH receivers in your home are under the same key code. When you go to another home they will have a different key code specific to their account. If you have any further questions please let me know and I am happy to help you!

spam firewall