Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
911 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   puri

puri

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

AT&T Has Approached DirecTV About Possible Acquisition

By 
SHALINI RAMACHANDRAN and 
THOMAS GRYTA

April 30, 2014 11:05 p.m. ET

AT&T has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition of the satellite TV firm, say people familiar with the situation, the latest sign of a possible shakeup in the television industry.

A combination of AT&T with satellite TV firm DirecTV would create a pay television giant close in size to where Comcast Corp. will be if it completes its pending acquisition of Time Warner Cable.

DirecTV is the second biggest pay TV...

Full Story in Wall Street Journal

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,266 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

ain't happening, but if it did, I would drop them like a hot potato and find me another job along the way!

• SteveHas, HerntDawg and Dude111 like this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

AT&T has been flirting with Dish for years. I suppose the fact that a Dish/AT&T deal never happened was probably all on Charlie Ergen, and nowadays would be hard to do since Dish owns so much terrestrial wireless spectrum. 

This makes a lot of sense. It brings AT&T to scale on video customers and can bring down programming costs. It also brings them a new technology platform that they'd control, and allows them to free up bandwidth on U-Verse to dedicate to internet access.

ain't happening, but if it did, I would drop them like a hot potato and find me another job along the way!

Of course you have the inside scoop and know exactly what's going on in the executive suite at DirecTV

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:02 PM

Always thought those two did make sense. AT&T doesn't have U-Verse nation wide so DIRECTV can be used to fill in the gaps. DIRECTV picks up a broadband partner and the millions of TV subs making it harder for content to fight them.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
  • rkyle likes this

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

From Reuters:

AT&T has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition -WSJ

AT&T Inc has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition of the satellite TV company, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the situation.

A deal would likely be worth at least $40 billion, DirecTV's current market capitalization, the newspaper said.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,266 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

This makes a lot of sense. It brings AT&T to scale on video customers and can bring down programming costs. It also brings them a new technology platform that they'd control, and allows them to free up bandwidth on U-Verse to dedicate to internet access.

I just don't see it. How much more negotiating leverage can they get from whatever AT&T adds than they already have with 20 million subscribers? Does anyone really believe Directv gets better pricing than Dish because of the extra 6 million subscribers?

I think the value in merging would be from the better deals they could offer customers with nationwide bundling of TV service and cellular. At least outside areas where U-verse is currently offered, within those areas it doesn't do the merged company much good to have two different ways of providing TV to customers.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#7 OFFLINE   john18

john18

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 979 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

I would consider leaving at my first viable opportunity if that happened.

• PolishPoet, SteveHas, dirtyblueshirt and 1 other like this

#8 OFFLINE   Matt L

Matt L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

Please, no.  As a log time D sub I'd be quickly out the door.  Higher prices and lower service and quality.  Tried  Uverse a while back, terrible service.

Edited by Matt L, 30 April 2014 - 11:06 PM.

• SteveHas and Dude111 like this

#9 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 741 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Ugh. I'd really have to think about staying with D* if this happens.

Edited by carlsbad_bolt_fan, 30 April 2014 - 11:49 PM.

• Dude111 likes this
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#10 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

The only way this would be good is if AT&T bought them, but left the DTV alone. Combine the billing for bundling, but let DTV handle the TV.

• mreposter and Dude111 like this

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,074 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:33 AM

Good I'm all for it.
I don't see a major change since more the half the country doesn't have Att.

But at least I would be able to get a wireless bundle, and not be forced into Verizon in doing so.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#12 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:03 AM

AT&T has started discussions with DirecTV to possibly buy the satellite-TV operator, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Citing unnamed sources, the paper reported Wednesday evening that DirecTV would be "open to a deal."

AT&T and DirecTV couldn't be reached for comment.

If the two sides ever come to an agreement, it would be one of the largest -- if not the largest -- pay-TV industry acquisitions, possibly even surpassing Comcast's deal to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion. As of Wednesday, DirecTV's market value totaled about $39.6 billion.

DirecTV, based in El Segundo, Calif., had $8.6 billion in revenue last year and provides satellite-TV service to about 20 million subscribers in the U.S. and 17 million in Latin America.

AT&T's U-Verse TV service, which uses fiber optic lines, gained 201,000 customers in the first quarter to reach 5.7 million.

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:12 AM

I just don't see it. How much more negotiating leverage can they get from whatever AT&T adds than they already have with 20 million subscribers? Does anyone really believe Directv gets better pricing than Dish because of the extra 6 million subscribers?

I think the value in merging would be from the better deals they could offer customers with nationwide bundling of TV service and cellular. At least outside areas where U-verse is currently offered, within those areas it doesn't do the merged company much good to have two different ways of providing TV to customers.

It's not DirecTV that gets the additional leverage, it's AT&T. The upside to DirecTV is that they sell the company for more than it's actually worth.

When they sell the company, DirecTV won't give a damn about the actual synergies or leverages or anything else. They'll be getting paid.

#14 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,059 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:13 AM

Here is another article on this:  http://thenextweb.co...v-firm-directv/

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#15 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:15 AM

Ugh. I'd be out the door if this ever happened too.

Sent from my XT1053 using DBSTalk mobile app
  • Dude111 likes this
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#16 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:31 AM

….. It also brings them a new technology platform that they'd control, and allows them to free up bandwidth on U-Verse to dedicate to internet access….

Are you suggesting that AT&T would retrofit existing Uverse customers with D* dishes and move all video services to satellite? Sounds doubtful.  

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#17 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:52 AM

I have a strong dislike of AT&T and really hope this does not happen.

• DCSholtis, kfcrosby and Dude111 like this

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#18 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. I'll be switching to Dish or back to my Cableco if it does. ATT is where customer service goes to die.

• Dude111 likes this
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#19 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,715 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:54 AM

Are you suggesting that AT&T would retrofit existing Uverse customers with D* dishes and move all video services to satellite? Sounds doubtful.

Wouldn't that be easier then laying new fiber lines?

#20 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,193 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:57 AM

DirecTV and Uverse have better TV then comcast.

Comcast can't even show all there IN MARKET RSN HD feeds or other stuff like BTN ALTs in HD or Premier League Extra Time as real channels.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

spam firewall