Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
1029 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

This is one deal that does NOT make me happy. I love DirecTV. I hate AT&T!!!

• carlsbad_bolt_fan, RunnerFL, SteveHas and 1 other like this

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#402 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:39 PM

It's official, http://investor.dire...TV/default.aspx

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#403 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,330 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Yep done deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#404 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I was struggling with the thought of leaving a service I've enjoyed for a long time and that I generally respect. Today's (expected) announcement just makes me think that much harder about what I should do. 

• SteveHas likes this

#405 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

See you guys who are all worried have about 4 years before you have to worry.
12 months to close and some 3 year guarantees.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
  • sigma1914 and pdxBeav like this

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#406 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,342 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

500 out of 20 million isn't very representative either.

Depends on the draw.

My point was that even with a very high number of participants for DBSTalk-such as 500- one wouldn't get a fair representation due to the nature of those polled- ie. ourselves. And with fewer people, it'd be even less demonstrative. 

One can have a good poll of 500 people if the pool is drawn correctly, and the detail isn't overly fine. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#407 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:04 PM

From The New York Times:

http://dealbook.nyti...e=blogs&hp&_r=0

#408 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,973 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Doesn't the FTC / Regulators have to approve of this first?  

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#409 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

It's announced:  http://www.washingto...ry.html?hpid=z1

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#410 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

They seem to be making light of U-verse, but here in Los Angeles, it is one of the three home video choices (Warner and DirecTV are the others) in most locations (Verizon has a minor presence in SoCal dating back to the days of General Telephone).  Four if you count OTA.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#411 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,150 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:23 PM

What do you expect to change?

U-Verse and DirecTV are two different monsters entirely when it comes to technology and delivery, not to mention AT&T can't even put their hands on the operations of DirecTV until it's approved, and by that time D14 should be in service giving us more bandwidth for new HD channels, unless they decide to jam more channels in there than the bandwidth allows picture quality won't be an issue. As for content (i.e. SEC, LHN, WatchESPN, Pac12, Fox Sports Go, etc), contract wise the major ones yet to be renewed by DirecTV are Disney/ESPN and Fox. Disney/ESPN is due later this year before the merger is approved, not sure about Fox. It's possible that AT&T will merge their contracts with DirecTV's down the road which could see us get Pac 12 on the terms AT&T agreed to and U-Verse some additional channels under the terms DirecTV agreed to.

As for rebranding to AT&T, DirecTV has been under different ownership multiple times since they debuted back in 94, it's not like News Corp rebranded DirecTV to Sky or Foxtel to be inline with their other services when they had it.

Outside of bundling with AT&T's products and rate changes that would have happened anyway, I doubt we will see anything we wouldn't see if AT&T didn't get DirecTV.

The mention of wireless broadband in rural areas looks promising though, especially since the release mentioned using things like VOD, Netflix and Hulu with it, but if they have the same caps they have for their existing LTE data only services, you'll easily blow through that on a regular basis.
  • damondlt and pdxBeav like this

#412 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

I saw a lot of positives in that deal. My guess half the neh sayers didn't even read the deal.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
  • pdxBeav likes this

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#413 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:27 PM

8w51y.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#414 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

Depends on the draw.

My point was that even with a very high number of participants for DBSTalk-such as 500- one wouldn't get a fair representation due to the nature of those polled- ie. ourselves. And with fewer people, it'd be even less demonstrative. 

One can have a good poll of 500 people if the pool is drawn correctly, and the detail isn't overly fine. 

Only good when it comes to removing a channel. (Weather Channel)

#415 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

This is kind of interesting:

http://dealbook.nyti...type=blogs&_r=0

“When I first heard the news, I was scratching my head,” said Jim Nail, an analyst with Forrester Research. “Satellite is kind of a doomed technology. I don’t see it being a long-term proposition.”

#416 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

Doesn't the FTC / Regulators have to approve of this first?  

Yeah, it has to be approved like Comcast/TW does.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#417 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,293 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

http://www.directvpr...a1-cbab507b1c72

http://about.att.com...re_directv.html

AT&T to Acquire DIRECTV

• Creates Content Distribution Leader Across Mobile, Video & Broadband Platforms
    • The premier pay TV brand with the best content relationships now poised to deliver video to multiple screens – mobile, TV, laptops and more – to meet consumers’ future viewing and programming preferences
    • Unparalleled video content distribution scale in U.S. – nationwide mobile and video networks; broadband to cover 70 million customer locations with our broadband expansion
  • Latin America’s Leading Pay TV provider with Significant Growth Potential
  • Immediate & Long-Term Financial Benefits
    • Accretive within 12 months after close on free cash flow per share & adjusted EPS basis
    • Cost synergies expected to exceed $1.6 billion annual run rate by year three after closing
    • Improves revenue mix – dramatically increases video revenues, accelerates broadband growth and significantly expands revenues from outside United States
  • Delivers Significant Benefits for Consumers
    • Commitment to expand and enhance broadband to 15 million customer locations, primarily in rural areas
    • Stronger competitive alternative to cable, with a better customer experience and enhanced innovation
    • Continued commitment to net neutrality

DALLAS & EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- AT&T (NYSE:T) and DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which AT&T will acquire DIRECTV in a stock-and-cash transaction for $95 per share based on AT&T’s Friday closing price. The agreement has been approved unanimously by the Boards of Directors of both companies.

The transaction combines complementary strengths to create a unique new competitor with unprecedented capabilities in mobility, video and broadband services.

DIRECTV is the premier pay TV provider in the United States and Latin America, with a high-quality customer base, the best selection of programming, the best technology for delivering and viewing high-quality video on any device and the best customer satisfaction among major U.S. cable and satellite TV providers. AT&T has a best-in-class nationwide mobile network and a high-speed broadband network that will cover 70 million customer locations with the broadband expansion enabled by this transaction.

The combined company will be a content distribution leader across mobile, video and broadband platforms. This distribution scale will position the company to better meet consumers’ future viewing and programming preferences, whether traditional pay TV, on-demand video services like Netflix or Hulu streamed over a broadband connection (mobile or fixed) or a combination of viewing preferences on any screen.

The transaction enables the combined company to offer consumers bundles that include video, high-speed broadband and mobile services using all of its sales channels -- AT&T’s 2,300 retail stores and thousands of authorized dealers and agents of both companies nationwide.

“This is a unique opportunity that will redefine the video entertainment industry and create a company able to offer new bundles and deliver content to consumers across multiple screens – mobile devices, TVs, laptops, cars and even airplanes. At the same time, it creates immediate and long-term value for our shareholders,” said Randall Stephenson , AT&T Chairman and CEO. “DIRECTV is the best option for us because they have the premier brand in pay TV, the best content relationships, and a fast-growing Latin American business. DIRECTV is a great fit with AT&T and together we’ll be able to enhance innovation and provide customers new competitive choices for what they want in mobile, video and broadband services. We look forward to welcoming DIRECTV’s talented people to the AT&T family.”

“This compelling and complementary combination will bring significant benefits to all consumers, shareholders and DIRECTV employees,” said Mike White , president and CEO of DIRECTV. “U.S. consumers will have access to a more competitive bundle; shareholders will benefit from the enhanced value of the combined company; and employees will have the advantage of being part of a stronger, more competitive company, well positioned to meet the evolving video and broadband needs of the 21st century marketplace.”

DIRECTV has premier content, particularly live sports programming. It has the exclusive pay TV rights to NFL SUNDAY TICKET that provides every out-of-market game, every Sunday afternoon, on TV, laptops and mobile devices. The new AT&T will be better positioned to develop unique content offerings for consumers through, among other initiatives, AT&T’s joint venture with The Chernin Group. Today, DIRECTV’s content ownership includes ROOT SPORTS Networks and minority stakes in the Game Show Network, MLB Network, NHL Network and the Sundance Channel.

DIRECTV will continue to be headquartered in El Segundo, California, after the deal closes.

Attached Files

Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#418 ONLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

I don't suppose there is any chance of AT&T *lowering* prices, is there?

One of the articles I read said that DirecTV only added 12,000 new subs in the first quarter?? If so, what rocket science is DirecTV missing? People simply aren't willing to pay $100 to $110 a month for a basic package + DVR service.

AT&T on the other hand has some brain cells. I had a really crappy cell plan for a LONG time (200min + unlimited texting + 300MB LTE) because it was the cheapest plan ($74 a month) and I am on Wifi at home & at work. AT&T recently came to their senses a month or two ago and released new plans. Now I have unlimited talk & text + 2GB for $60 a month.

If AT&T buying DirecTV will reduce my DirecTV bill by 20%, I have only one thing to say: WELCOME BACK MA BELL!

Edited by SledgeHammer, 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM.

#419 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

ain't happening, but if it did, I would drop them like a hot potato and find me another job along the way!

Well at least stop by and tell us about your new job. 

• skoolpsyk likes this

#420 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

I don't suppose there is any chance of AT&T *lowering* prices, is there?

One of the articles I read said that DirecTV only added 12,000 new subs in the first quarter?? If so, what rocket science is DirecTV missing? People simply aren't willing to pay $100 to $110 a month for a basic package + DVR service.

AT&T on the other hand has some brain cells. I had a really crappy cell plan for a LONG time (200min + unlimited texting + 300MB LTE) because it was the cheapest plan ($74 a month) and I am on Wifi at home & at work. AT&T recently came to their senses a month or two ago and released new plans. Now I have unlimited talk & text + 2GB for $60 a month.

If AT&T buying DirecTV will reduce my DirecTV bill by 20%, I have only one thing to say: WELCOME BACK MA BELL!

Directv is never going to lower their prices, they will just give you less for less money.
And with 4 years out, I'm more worried about how Directv is going to shaft us in this next 4 years until Att gains total control.
All I know, I'm not accepting any equipment offers for a while.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
  • SteveHas and whitewolf8214 like this

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

Protected By... spam firewall...And...