Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
1147 replies to this topic

#751 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not a chance, it would cost a lot more to put it in every receiver, when you only need one LTE radio per house (or zero, for all those who have wired internet)

If they were going to do this, it would make more sense to put the LTE antenna/radio on the LNB, and use the DECA band for receivers to communicate with it. You'd be better off with an outdoor antenna anyway versus having one built into a receiver that might be buried in a AV cabinet in the basement, and upgrading such customers would simply require replacing the LNB.

Edited by slice1900, 12 June 2014 - 06:35 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#752 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

I sure hope they plan to install FTTH internet here. I am stuck with Cox Cable, Dialup, Old Verizon DSL, or Slow and expensive Dish. To finally have a viable alternative to Cox Cable would be nice.   

#753 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Not a chance, it would cost a lot more to put it in every receiver, when you only need one LTE radio per house (or zero, for all those who have wired internet)

If they were going to do this, it would make more sense to put the LTE antenna/radio on the LNB, and use the DECA band for receivers to communicate with it. You'd be better off with an outdoor antenna anyway versus having one built into a receiver that might be buried in a AV cabinet in the basement, and upgrading such customers would simply require replacing the LNB.

Well, whatever, the mechanics aren't important. I could also see an LTE version of the Cinema Connection Kit and you get an LTE connection for your DirecTV receivers built into your package.

#754 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Throw in something like NFL RedZone and one has to be a truly die hard fan to want to spend the near $300 a season. This could be a hard sell when people start doing the math.

For those out of their favorite teams zone it's the only alternative.  It's still cheaper than going to a couple games, or even having to buy a few beers per game at the local bar down the street that carries it.    

• joed32 likes this

#755 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 3,021 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

Update: Senate to consider AT&T-DirecTV merger

(The Hill) - The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on the proposed $49 billion merger of AT&T and DirecTV later this month, the panel announced on Thursday.

The Antitrust subcommittee’s session will be held on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee holds its hearing, on June 24. The House panel will go first with a hearing in the morning, followed hours later by lawmakers in the Senate....

dtv.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 C41W-100, 1 WVBR0-01, 1 HR24-500

Original install on Apr. 20, 2008 - C41W & WVB self installed on Dec. 27, 2014 - HR34 & C31 installed on Aug. 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#756 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wireless standards evolve too quickly to embed LTE equipment in any DirecTV receivers or LNBs. LTE is no longer the fastest standard, it has been surpassed by LTE-Advanced which is currently being field tested around the world. Verizon is rolling out an enhancement called XLTE that bonds two frequencies together (from different wireless bands) to double the bandwidth. I'm sure AT&T will embrace one of these two soon. If you want to integrate wireless, it would make more sense to use a wireless modem module that can be upgraded independently of the rest of the installation.

Hasn't DirecTV already demonstrated IP delivery. I seem to remember a HR20i being field tested a few years ago. If I'm not mis-remembering then the technology already exists.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#757 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,337 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Update: Senate to consider AT&T-DirecTV merger

(The Hill) - The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on the proposed $49 billion merger of AT&T and DirecTV later this month, the panel announced on Thursday.

The Antitrust subcommittee’s session will be held on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee holds its hearing, on June 24. The House panel will go first with a hearing in the morning, followed hours later by lawmakers in the Senate....

dtv.jpg

It's interesting that the image looks like a Death Star with a dish on it...hmmm.....

• Rich likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#758 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

For those out of their favorite teams zone it's the only alternative.  It's still cheaper than going to a couple games, or even having to buy a few beers per game at the local bar down the street that carries it.    

$300 for a season to watch your favorite team/s seems like a pretty cheap deal.  That's pretty close to what you'd spend at one game.  I live in an area close to NYC and root for the Yankees, Jets and Giants (I realize that's not normal, but how much losing can a Jets fan take without finding another team to root for?) so I don't have that problem, but if I moved somewhere where I couldn't get their games I'd buy into the NFL and MLB packages in a heartbeat (and yes, I can do the math).

Rich

#759 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Register  - ‎3 hours ago‎        
AT&T says that it will expand its broadband network, promote net neutrality, and clean its room every single day if the US Federal Communications Commission approves its bid to acquire satellite-television firm DirecTV.

• Laxguy likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#760 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wireless standards evolve too quickly to embed LTE equipment in any DirecTV receivers or LNBs. LTE is no longer the fastest standard, it has been surpassed by LTE-Advanced which is currently being field tested around the world. Verizon is rolling out an enhancement called XLTE that bonds two frequencies together (from different wireless bands) to double the bandwidth. I'm sure AT&T will embrace one of these two soon. If you want to integrate wireless, it would make more sense to use a wireless modem module that can be upgraded independently of the rest of the installation.

Hasn't DirecTV already demonstrated IP delivery. I seem to remember a HR20i being field tested a few years ago. If I'm not mis-remembering then the technology already exists.

What I was responding to was the idea that AT&T would add wireless capability to Directv for rural/remote customers who live where there aren't wired broadband options. I'm not really convinced they'd package the networking together either, but I could see pros and cons for putting it on the LNB versus making it a separate unit.

I wouldn't worry too much about faster technologies coming along though, since older ones don't go away until many years later. This would be targeted at rural customers, who don't have LTE today and won't be getting it for a few more years. AT&T has said they won't decommission Edge until 2017, which I take to mean it'll be that long before all the rural areas are upgraded (to LTE, not 3G, because LTE has a longer range) Once they're upgraded, it will be eons before they get another upgrade, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for LTE Advanced anytime soon if I lived in an area that is still on Edge today.

As for the H20i/HR20i, it was used for a new generation of Directv's MDU technology, but they never pursued it (not sure if it was cost or other concerns) Basically the dish was connected to a very expensive headend that demodulated the channels in parallel - and therefore needed to be upgraded as Directv added new satellites. I don't believe it was really all that different than a C31 connected to a Genie as far as how the IP delivery part works, though. It is just the difference between being limited to 5 tuners and having 1000+ :)

#761 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:26 PM

CNET  - ‎5 hours ago‎      

Customer Social Security numbers and call records are exposed in a bid to get smartphone "unlock" codes from AT&T.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#762 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 109 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

$300 for a season to watch your favorite team/s seems like a pretty cheap deal.  That's pretty close to what you'd spend at one game.  I live in an area close to NYC and root for the Yankees, Jets and Giants (I realize that's not normal, but how much losing can a Jets fan take without finding another team to root for?) so I don't have that problem, but if I moved somewhere where I couldn't get their games I'd buy into the NFL and MLB packages in a heartbeat (and yes, I can do the math).

Rich

I'm in Orioles country unfortunately, so I subscribe to MLB EI.  MLB EI is a great deal IMO as it comes out to less than $1.25/game. It would be nice when the Yankees and Orioles play if I wasn't stuck watching the Orioles feed, but a minor inconvenience. Football and the other sports are a little less so of a deal, but if I wasn't around my local teams area I'd have it as well.  

And you think you have it bad with the Jets.  Just be thankful you are not a Redskins fan. Yeah, we had one decent season the year before last, but the past 14 years has not been good to us.    

Edited by VABlitz, 14 June 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#763 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,389 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

This could be one reason AT&T purchased DirecTV.

AT&T, Comcast Have Spotty Record Of Providing Internet To Rural And Poor

Huffington_Post_Logo.png

As telecom giants seek approval for their latest mergers, millions of people without fast, reliable Internet service have become bargaining chips.

. . . .

READ MORE

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#764 OFFLINE   Ohara

Ohara

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

AT&T will just take the Verizon route with rural broadband. Like home fusion it will be wireless, extremly expensive, and have ridiculous caps. Bank on it. You will never see fiber ever.

• damondlt likes this

#765 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,086 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

I'm in Orioles country unfortunately, so I subscribe to MLB EI.  MLB EI is a great deal IMO as it comes out to less than $1.25/game. It would be nice when the Yankees and Orioles play if I wasn't stuck watching the Orioles feed, but a minor inconvenience. Football and the other sports are a little less so of a deal, but if I wasn't around my local teams area I'd have it as well.  

And you think you have it bad with the Jets.  Just be thankful you are not a Redskins fan. Yeah, we had one decent season the year before last, but the past 14 years has not been good to us.    

Yeah, I know I've had it bad with the Jets.  Been about 45 years since our last Super Bowl win and I don't see one coming. Thankfully the Giants aren't as pitiful as the Jets.  In '69, I thought, "Oh boy, a dynasty is building".  Oh boy, was I ever wrong.

Rich

#766 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

Try being a cowboys fan with all the talent and going 8-8 year after year

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#767 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,120 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 June 2014 - 04:13 PM

No, thanks!  :) 

We (Niners and 'Boys) had some great games and rivalry in the distant past.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#768 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:00 PM

No, thanks! :)

We (Niners and 'Boys) had some great games and rivalry in the distant past.

yes we did. Hopefully soon we can get back to that

There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#769 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,691 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:12 PM

AT&T will just take the Verizon route with rural broadband. Like home fusion it will be wireless, extremly expensive, and have ridiculous caps. Bank on it. You will never see fiber ever.

Yep, expensive LTE service is going to be att Answer.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.

#770 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:37 AM

As I posted elsewhere, DirecTV will, over the next 18 months or so, increase their available bandwidth by a significant margin. What I'm worried about is that AT&T might decide to use some of that bandwidth to deliver broadband via satellite, even if only as a stop gap. They might move some content from the Spaceway satellites to D14 and/or D15 and repurpose the released Spaceway transponders for broadband spot beams. It would be quicker, easier and cheaper than building new cellular towers.

While some have said that would devalue DirecTV, I would remind everyone that once the acquisition is complete, the key principle will not be the value of DirecTV, but rather the overall value of AT&T.

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#771 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

You can join us Lions fans.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#772 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 595 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

As I posted elsewhere, DirecTV will, over the next 18 months or so, increase their available bandwidth by a significant margin. What I'm worried about is that AT&T might decide to use some of that bandwidth to deliver broadband via satellite, even if only as a stop gap. They might move some content from the Spaceway satellites to D14 and/or D15 and repurpose the released Spaceway transponders for broadband spot beams. It would be quicker, easier and cheaper than building new cellular towers.

While some have said that would devalue DirecTV, I would remind everyone that once the acquisition is complete, the key principle will not be the value of DirecTV, but rather the overall value of AT&T.

Doubt it.  Sat is terrible for internet - way too much latency.  Also very expensive, poor bandwidth, low caps.  Only place it is used is rural areas that get no other service.  If they wanted that they would just buy HughesNet.

I have no idea but I suspect the sats are licensed for a specific purpose.

#773 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,120 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:23 AM

Doubt it.  Sat is terrible for internet - way too much latency.  Also very expensive, poor bandwidth, low caps.  Only place it is used is rural areas that get no other service.  If they wanted that they would just buy HughesNet.

Yes, and not too swift for cellular! 

I do wonder if ATT can make use of sat. service in any meaningful way (other than what's involved with DIRECTV!)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#774 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,029 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

Of course, we are talking about rural areas where there are currently no other options.  I don't see it as a long term solution, but simply getting the permission from the local community to build a cellular tower can take years.  Using satellite would let them offer a phone/broadband/TV bundle everywhere they have cellular coverage and a broadband/TV bundle where they do not.

They might buy HughesNet if Echostar wanted to sell it.

Yes, the spaceway satellites are currently licensed for DTH video, but they were originally (when the licenses were granted) licensed for broadband.  It would not be a big deal to get the operating licenses ammended.

Current setup:

#775 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,546 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

It isn't difficult to get approval to build cell towers in rural areas, it is only a problem in the suburbs where the NIMBYs come out. Farmers and ranchers have no problem with a telco paying them $1000/month for a useless corner of land.

Edited by slice1900, 16 June 2014 - 11:26 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...