Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#741 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:31 AM

I have no issues with video streaming on AT&T.

Glad it works where you live. Around here (San Diego County) it stinks. I remember having to plan my driving routes carefully just in case a client called. Got to know where the many dead areas were rather well. Never had to worry about that again when I switched to Verizon.

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#742 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

Here we go again with the "is it worth it" argument. ..

Indeed...the very definition of the term "first world problem." :)
  • mrdobolina and bjdotson like this

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#743 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,766 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:18 PM

Great! Just what AT&T needs for their already overburdened network. :rolling:

Wireless specs seem to be doubling ever few years now. There's another revolution in progress and this one is centered around wireless.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#744 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Glad it works where you live. Around here (San Diego County) it stinks. I remember having to plan my driving routes carefully just in case a client called. Got to know where the many dead areas were rather well. Never had to worry about that again when I switched to Verizon.

San Diego may be one of the most difficult major cities in the entire country for reception of anything. And att did not build out there as well as other markets for a long time. Don't know about now though.

#745 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,292 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Here is the kicker. Despite the rep Verizon has, I have nothing but trouble with my iPad with Verizon, particularly when I try to stream. I got the Verizon iPad because I believed it would be better based upon Consumer Reports and other customer complaints. Nope. It is horrible in an area it is supposed to be great. I get nothing but complaints from friends in the area who are using Verizon for Android and other i devices as well.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#746 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Where Verizon is bad, it is usually REALLY bad.  I'm in the Baltimore suburbs this week for work and Verizon reception is poor.  AT&T on the other hand, which delivers zero to one bar atmy home in NJ, is cranking 4 or 5 bars here.  It's all about where the nearest tower is and how many users it needs to support.

• Rich likes this

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#747 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

In news that is not surprising, AT&T states in regulatory filings that combined company will be able offer lower bundled pricing of tv and internet access. 

http://www.washingto...o-cut-the-cord/

• Laxguy likes this

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#748 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:34 PM

Also, interestingly enough, if your read through the AT&T/DirecTV filing, they plan to use DirecTV's platform and equipment for U-Verse. They will still offer TV over IP/VDSL but they will be transitioning to use DirecTV-style receivers including the Genie instead of the Motorola and Cisco set tops running Microsoft/Ericsson Mediaroom.

#749 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Also, interestingly enough, if your read through the AT&T/DirecTV filing, they plan to use DirecTV's platform and equipment for U-Verse. They will still offer TV over IP/VDSL but they will be transitioning to use DirecTV-style receivers including the Genie instead of the Motorola and Cisco set tops running Microsoft/Ericsson Mediaroom.

Since they deliver video via IP that should be pretty easy to do. The Genie would receive encrypted MPEG4 video, directly, rather than tuning and demodulating a SWM channel to obtain the encrypted MPEG4 video. Basically skipping a step or two, and making for a slightly cheaper Genie since it would leave out the satellite tuner. Disable a few things in the setup (i.e. no satellite setup/info) and there you go.

I guess that eliminates one worry of Directv customers here, and accounts for some of the savings (i.e. the development/production cost of Directv equipment would be spread over more units)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#750 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:31 PM

Since they deliver video via IP that should be pretty easy to do. The Genie would receive encrypted MPEG4 video, directly, rather than tuning and demodulating a SWM channel to obtain the encrypted MPEG4 video. Basically skipping a step or two, and making for a slightly cheaper Genie since it would leave out the satellite tuner. Disable a few things in the setup (i.e. no satellite setup/info) and there you go.

I guess that eliminates one worry of Directv customers here, and accounts for some of the savings (i.e. the development/production cost of Directv equipment would be spread over more units)

I would also expect all receivers to get built-in LTE radios, so that DirecTV customers who aren't on AT&T wired internet services can still have guaranteed connectivity back to the mothership. Lots of interesting things they can do by having a national wireless company, a satellite service, and wired internet services under one roof. 

#751 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Not a chance, it would cost a lot more to put it in every receiver, when you only need one LTE radio per house (or zero, for all those who have wired internet)

If they were going to do this, it would make more sense to put the LTE antenna/radio on the LNB, and use the DECA band for receivers to communicate with it. You'd be better off with an outdoor antenna anyway versus having one built into a receiver that might be buried in a AV cabinet in the basement, and upgrading such customers would simply require replacing the LNB.

Edited by slice1900, 12 June 2014 - 06:35 PM.

#752 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

I sure hope they plan to install FTTH internet here. I am stuck with Cox Cable, Dialup, Old Verizon DSL, or Slow and expensive Dish. To finally have a viable alternative to Cox Cable would be nice.   

#753 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:53 PM

Not a chance, it would cost a lot more to put it in every receiver, when you only need one LTE radio per house (or zero, for all those who have wired internet)

If they were going to do this, it would make more sense to put the LTE antenna/radio on the LNB, and use the DECA band for receivers to communicate with it. You'd be better off with an outdoor antenna anyway versus having one built into a receiver that might be buried in a AV cabinet in the basement, and upgrading such customers would simply require replacing the LNB.

Well, whatever, the mechanics aren't important. I could also see an LTE version of the Cinema Connection Kit and you get an LTE connection for your DirecTV receivers built into your package.

#754 OFFLINE   VABlitz

VABlitz

• Registered
  • 105 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Throw in something like NFL RedZone and one has to be a truly die hard fan to want to spend the near $300 a season. This could be a hard sell when people start doing the math.

For those out of their favorite teams zone it's the only alternative.  It's still cheaper than going to a couple games, or even having to buy a few beers per game at the local bar down the street that carries it.    

• joed32 likes this

#755 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,485 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:48 AM

Update: Senate to consider AT&T-DirecTV merger

(The Hill) - The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on the proposed $49 billion merger of AT&T and DirecTV later this month, the panel announced on Thursday.

The Antitrust subcommittee’s session will be held on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee holds its hearing, on June 24. The House panel will go first with a hearing in the morning, followed hours later by lawmakers in the Senate....

dtv.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#756 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

Wireless standards evolve too quickly to embed LTE equipment in any DirecTV receivers or LNBs. LTE is no longer the fastest standard, it has been surpassed by LTE-Advanced which is currently being field tested around the world. Verizon is rolling out an enhancement called XLTE that bonds two frequencies together (from different wireless bands) to double the bandwidth. I'm sure AT&T will embrace one of these two soon. If you want to integrate wireless, it would make more sense to use a wireless modem module that can be upgraded independently of the rest of the installation.

Hasn't DirecTV already demonstrated IP delivery. I seem to remember a HR20i being field tested a few years ago. If I'm not mis-remembering then the technology already exists.

Current setup:

#757 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,627 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

Update: Senate to consider AT&T-DirecTV merger

(The Hill) - The Senate Judiciary Committee will hold a hearing on the proposed $49 billion merger of AT&T and DirecTV later this month, the panel announced on Thursday.

The Antitrust subcommittee’s session will be held on the same day that the House Judiciary Committee holds its hearing, on June 24. The House panel will go first with a hearing in the morning, followed hours later by lawmakers in the Senate....

dtv.jpg

It's interesting that the image looks like a Death Star with a dish on it...hmmm.....

• Rich likes this
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#758 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,264 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

For those out of their favorite teams zone it's the only alternative.  It's still cheaper than going to a couple games, or even having to buy a few beers per game at the local bar down the street that carries it.    

$300 for a season to watch your favorite team/s seems like a pretty cheap deal.  That's pretty close to what you'd spend at one game.  I live in an area close to NYC and root for the Yankees, Jets and Giants (I realize that's not normal, but how much losing can a Jets fan take without finding another team to root for?) so I don't have that problem, but if I moved somewhere where I couldn't get their games I'd buy into the NFL and MLB packages in a heartbeat (and yes, I can do the math).

Rich

#759 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,533 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Register  - ‎3 hours ago‎        
AT&T says that it will expand its broadband network, promote net neutrality, and clean its room every single day if the US Federal Communications Commission approves its bid to acquire satellite-television firm DirecTV.

• Laxguy likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#760 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:57 PM

Wireless standards evolve too quickly to embed LTE equipment in any DirecTV receivers or LNBs. LTE is no longer the fastest standard, it has been surpassed by LTE-Advanced which is currently being field tested around the world. Verizon is rolling out an enhancement called XLTE that bonds two frequencies together (from different wireless bands) to double the bandwidth. I'm sure AT&T will embrace one of these two soon. If you want to integrate wireless, it would make more sense to use a wireless modem module that can be upgraded independently of the rest of the installation.

Hasn't DirecTV already demonstrated IP delivery. I seem to remember a HR20i being field tested a few years ago. If I'm not mis-remembering then the technology already exists.

What I was responding to was the idea that AT&T would add wireless capability to Directv for rural/remote customers who live where there aren't wired broadband options. I'm not really convinced they'd package the networking together either, but I could see pros and cons for putting it on the LNB versus making it a separate unit.

I wouldn't worry too much about faster technologies coming along though, since older ones don't go away until many years later. This would be targeted at rural customers, who don't have LTE today and won't be getting it for a few more years. AT&T has said they won't decommission Edge until 2017, which I take to mean it'll be that long before all the rural areas are upgraded (to LTE, not 3G, because LTE has a longer range) Once they're upgraded, it will be eons before they get another upgrade, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for LTE Advanced anytime soon if I lived in an area that is still on Edge today.

As for the H20i/HR20i, it was used for a new generation of Directv's MDU technology, but they never pursued it (not sure if it was cost or other concerns) Basically the dish was connected to a very expensive headend that demodulated the channels in parallel - and therefore needed to be upgraded as Directv added new satellites. I don't believe it was really all that different than a C31 connected to a Genie as far as how the IP delivery part works, though. It is just the difference between being limited to 5 tuners and having 1000+ :)

spam firewall