Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

#841 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:14 AM

Or worse, the towers that are 'disguised' as TREES . . . 75' higher than the canopy and a really bad looking tree!

We have them.  Damn near ran off the road the first time I saw one.  

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#842 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

What I don't understand is why more utility companies don't seek to rent their pylons to wireless providers.  There's a few places up around Memphis where cell arrays are hung on high tension power pylons.  A little pipe extends up above the power lines and the array sits up there.  It's no more ugly than having high tension lines running through your area so it's a pretty smart approach to hiding the cell site. 

Well, there you go!  A good sensible answer.  Kudos!

Rich

#843 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

No joke - Sen. Al Franken asks regulators to 'carefully scrutinize" AT&T-DirecTV deal

(FierceTelecom.com) - U.S. Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) has turned his anti-merger fervor towards AT&T's proposed acquisition of DirecTV.

In a letter to FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler and Assistant Attorney General William Baer, Franken urged regulators to "carefully scrutinize" the deal with the viewpoint that "the combined entity will have enhanced power in virtually every corner of the telecommunications market."

al-franken-sen.jpg
Franken

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#844 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Good, these corporate mergers done't help the consumer, or our economy as a whole. They simply eliminate competition and choice, and are driven by the markets demand for double digit growth every year.

D* Customer Since 1999

• Dish
  • Slimline-3 SWiM 16, 
    Familyroom
  • DirecTV HR44-700  
  • Panasonic 55" TC-P55GT50 plasma HDMI/ DECA, CAT6, OTA
  • Nintendo Wii,
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT220 Blu-Ray, CAT6
  • Pioneer VSX-1120 7.1 CAT6,
  • Cambridge Sound Works Ensemble 1 - front, S300 - surround back, Center Stage - center, Polk RM7 - surround side, and Bass Cube 8
    Master Bedroom
  • DirecTV HR24-500 
  • Vizio 37" SV370XVT LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT6 - can I just take a moment to say how awesome this TV is
  • Sony BDP-BX3B Blu-Ray, CAT6
    Basement
  • Samsung 52" LNT5271 FX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
  • Sony PS3,
  • Denon AVR 2108, KEF C40
    Son's Room
  • Vizio 42" E3D420 VX LCD HDMI/DECA, CAT 6, OTA
    Network
  • Linksys EA4500 802.11N Gigabit router
  • 2 - D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit switches
  • DirecTV Home Cinema Connection
  • DirecTV GenieGo
  • ISP: Verizon FiOs Quantum 50/35
  • Dell Studio 540 Quad Core Q8200 64 Bit, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 8 gigs RAM, PlayOn
  • HP DV6-1243CLB Core 2 Duo T6600, 802.11N
  • 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 4 gigs RAM
  • Compaq Presario SR1650NX AMD 64, Cat6
  • 64 bit Windows 8 Home Premium w/ Windows Media Center, 6 gigs RAM
  • Apple Mac Mini Intel processor, 802.11N
  • Snow Leopard, 2 gigs RAM
  • iPhone 5S
  • iPad 2
  • Both iOS 8.1
  • 3879075488.png

#845 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Around here they get rather creative to hide the towers, this is a rural area and there are several that look like the windmill section of a wind driven water well.  There is a church with three crosses on a hill behind the church, and one person has a really fat flagpole.  As i get into town any building taller than 3 or 4 stories has antennas on the roof.

I would have no issue even with a plain cell tower, I really don't get the whole thing that anything to do with technology is an eyesore.  If you think nature your house is an eyesore but that is OK??? However the satellite dish, OTA antenna, A/C condenser, etc all must be hidden (yes, I know about OTARD but the law is not the issue here it is the thinking of people)  The fact I can see what I need to use modern tech is a non-issue to me

Telephone/power poles are now quaint. A small town without 'em, look like they're missing something.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#846 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

Telephone/power poles are now quaint. A small town without 'em, look like they're missing something.

Yup, also better to have the lines up on poles than buried.  Buried power lines are a disaster waiting to happen.  Remember all the really old pictures of NYC and the myriad of cables on the poles?  

Rich

#847 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Yup, also better to have the lines up on poles than buried.  Buried power lines are a disaster waiting to happen.  Remember all the really old pictures of NYC and the myriad of cables on the poles?  

Rich

Are you being sarcastic? Can't tell. Lines on poles go down pretty quickly in an ice storm and heavy wind storms.

#848 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Rich

You mean like these?

New-York-Telephone-Wires-1887-03.jpg

New-York-Telephone-Wires-1887-01.jpg

Lots of good pics of some crazy wiring in other countries at this site:

http://www.darkroast...drb-series.html

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#849 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Yup, also better to have the lines up on poles than buried. Buried power lines are a disaster waiting to happen. Remember all the really old pictures of NYC and the myriad of cables on the poles?

Rich

They may depend on where you are, because here in southern california' they always bury them in any new develope,nt, as they should. There is zero reason to put power above ground here, and I can't imagine why you'd want them that way in any new properly planed community.

#850 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

They may depend on where you are, because here in southern california' they always bury them in any new develope,nt, as they should. There is zero reason to put power above ground here, and I can't imagine why you'd want them that way in any new properly planed community.

I think he was being sarcastic, in reply to the suggestion that towns that have no telephone poles look like something is missing.

Pretty sure everywhere in the country runs utilities underground in any new development. Where I live, any neighborhood newer than about 50 years old has underground utilities.

#851 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Pretty sure everywhere in the country runs utilities underground in any new development. Where I live, any neighborhood newer than about 50 years old has underground utilities.

For cities I will agree with that statement but in rural areas it is still run aerial at least here in Colorado.  Even in small towns it was only maybe 15 years ago they started burying the power.  My house is just under 20 years and it is aerial.  IREA (my electric provider) has stated that they prefer to run aerial and only bury where required. In an area not subject to ice storms the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, the only real disadvantage being aesthetics.

My Setup

#852 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,807 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

You will find cities close to sea level have the poles that carry the power, telephone and cable internet lines.

We have them here in Texas City,TX.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#853 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,931 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

For cities I will agree with that statement but in rural areas it is still run aerial at least here in Colorado.  Even in small towns it was only maybe 15 years ago they started burying the power.  My house is just under 20 years and it is aerial.  IREA (my electric provider) has stated that they prefer to run aerial and only bury where required. In an area not subject to ice storms the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages, the only real disadvantage being aesthetics.

Colorado has mountains and granite bedrock close to the surface, so running underground is going to be a lot more expensive than areas with clay or sandy soil and less rugged landscape.

My comment really only applies to those who get municipal water and sewer. The developers already have to trench for that, so the city will make them trench for electric, telephone, cable and gas as well. Where you have well/septic, its a crapshoot what you get.

If you have municipal water/sewer but utilities on poles, I guess I'm surprised, since trenching a sewer line is one hell of a lot more expensive than a utility trench, since it is wider and much deeper. And you'd think people live in the mountains for views of the mountains, not telephone poles :)

#854 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Are you being sarcastic? Can't tell. Lines on poles go down pretty quickly in an ice storm and heavy wind storms.

I'm very rarely sarcastic.  I've been thru nightmares with underground wiring.  If you ever had to "bump" a 4160 VAC line to see which manhole flew up, you'd understand what I meant.  We spent a ton of money getting all our feeders out of the ground and our tunnels.  Put in all new utility poles and never had a problem after that.  Plant started up in 1936 and everything was underground.  Must have seemed like a good idea at the time, but 60 years later, we had to redo the whole system.  Every pole was plumb, too.  I walked around with a level when they were being installed.  Drove the contractor batty.  We lost months of production while all this was going on, that made the  project even more expensive.  Very stressful period of my life.  

I really didn't write that post with any sarcasm in mind.  Now I'm gonna have to go back and reread it to see what I did wrong.

Rich

#855 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

SoCal's a lot different from NJ.  We have developments where everything is buried, some that need to be, some that don't. Sticking power lines underground really isn't a good idea when you're looking at a long range plan.  As I said in a previous post, we got 60 years out of underground feeders, then spent a fortune putting them where we could see the problem immediately.

Rich 

#856 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I think he was being sarcastic, in reply to the suggestion that towns that have no telephone poles look like something is missing.

I wasn't being sarcastic.  Most utilities have to be underground for obvious reasons.  Gas, water things like that must be below the frost line.  Power lines don't have to be buried and I don't think they should be.  Just an opinion based on my experience.  If we have a pole knocked over by a car or something similar happens, it's pretty obvious why power is lost.  Doesn't take long for our power company to fix it.  Usually a few hours to put in a new pole and get the wiring back in place.  Rarely more than a day. It's really hard to tell where faults are underground.  We considered ourselves lucky to able to bump the feeder lines to get an idea where the problems were if one failed.  It was that or dig forever looking for it.

Rich 

#857 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

You will find cities close to sea level have the poles that carry the power, telephone and cable internet lines.

We have them here in Texas City,TX.

Yup, been there, seen them.  We had a huge plant there.

Rich

#858 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

You mean like these?

New-York-Telephone-Wires-1887-03.jpg

New-York-Telephone-Wires-1887-01.jpg

Lots of good pics of some crazy wiring in other countries at this site:

http://www.darkroast...drb-series.html

Much as I'd like to see those pictures, I can't open them.  I'll try the link.  If it's in India, I've seen what they've done there.  Brutal.

Rich

#859 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Let me go off topic and address this "sarcastic" thing.  I try really hard not to use sarcasm.  I think it's a weakness to use it.  I'm surprised and disturbed by those posts.  Nuff said?

Rich

#860 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

Rich, here it seems like we have vaults every block or two and it's all in conduit they pull it through. Seems like it should be pretty easy to monitor each section and pull lines out and put new in when there is issues. Maybe it's different in a plant built in the 30's? Or do you think even that isn't easy? Cause it seems easy to pinpoint from my perspective.

Also when it's put in today there no need to worry about future infrastructure increases because of the way they "Lego" the system's down here in general for new areas. The only way they'd have to start over is if they changed an area to twenty story high rises and that's not going to happen. And even if it did they would start over for everything else too anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...