Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
1008 replies to this topic

#881 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

What are the steam pipes for in NYC? 

Heat. Con Ed heats a lot of the business buildings. Really a lot.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#882 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,186 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

The steam pipes are used for heating buildings, I think.  Bumping is quickly turning a big switch on and off when you know you have a grounded hot wire.  Since OSHA's advent and their enormous effect on the working place, I'd think bumping has become a thing of the past (most of the time).  It's not a safe method and just doing it takes a lot of nerve.  What you end up with is a hole in the ground or a manhole cover flying into the air.  That gives you an idea of where to dig to find the fault.    

Rich 

The phone companies do that with a 630 set. It burns an intermittent trouble in a solid short circuit. Never in the 30 years I work there, did I hear of high voltage making it all the way to a customer phone. While the procedure is the same, it wasn't called 'bumping' at the phone company. Having a senior moment and have temporary forgotten what they called this procedure. .  

Edited by Drucifer, 16 July 2014 - 07:34 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#883 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Well, we were working with high voltages, so perhaps I'm being a bit conservative about the lines being buried.  I didn't think they'd use metal conduit tho, I would expect PVC to be used.  Conduit buried is not a good idea.  I know it's not supposed to rust, but I've found rusted and cracked buried conduit.  I've even seen it rust on outside walls.  And the metal conduit covers really rust.  I dunno, it's just an opinion based on years of experience with buried power lines that most people don't have a chance to experience.  For instance, how many people that read my prior posts in this thread have actually seen a large feeder "bumped"?  Or even know what that means?  The end result of the bumping is a manhole cover so heavy it takes two guys to lift it flying into the air.  We had to cordon off the streets and areas where were doing the bumping, of course.  Then there's the guy in the substation that has the really cheery job of turning the power on and off quickly, never knowing if the switch is gonna blow up in his face.  We approached those jobs with great trepidation.  Once we had the general location the backhoes came out and kept digging until we found the problems.  It's really not something most electricians have experience with.

Rich

Oh no, they are using plastic pvc around here for conduit.

#884 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,808 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

This is related to the TS post.

Microsoft has announced that they will terminate 18,000 jobs in the next year. This is due to "Synergies" / overlap in jobs from their buyout of Nokia.

I can see this happening with DirecTV and AT&T getting together.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#885 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,268 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

I'm not sure Microsoft has ever released an announcement that was fully accurate or honest.  The layoffs are unlikely due solely to the acquisition; their whole business is in decline. 

And, yes, there should be some redundancy and hence jobs lost after the buyout by ATT.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#886 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Wow public heat?!  I would think each building would have their own HVAC system.  Bumping sounds pretty serious!

The departure of this thread has really been interesting!  

NYC wasn't designed in any way, shape or form that I know of.  Apparently, at some time, running steam from the steam gennies to the buildings must have been the easiest thing to do.  Yeah, bumping is really serious, I always wondered if the guy assigned to that task knew just how dangerous it was.  The switches were 4160 VAC and you can only try to imagine the power generated by that bump on a grounded line.  I really doubt that OSHA allows that to happen anymore.

Going off topic usually results in interesting subjects and much is to be learned.  So much it makes my head ache.

Rich

#887 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

The phone companies do that with a 630 set. It burns an intermittent trouble in a solid short circuit. Never in the 30 years I work there, did I hear of high voltage making it all the way to a customer phone. While the procedure is the same, it wasn't called 'bumping' at the phone company. Having a senior moment and have temporary forgotten what they called this procedure. .  

I've actually done the same thing on 120 volt lines.  Vaporized more than one screwdriver doing it.  Never had the nerve to try it on a higher voltage.  

Rich

#888 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Oh no, they are using plastic pvc around here for conduit.

I would hope so.  

Rich

#889 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,348 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

This is related to the TS post.

Microsoft has announced that they will terminate 18,000 jobs in the next year. This is due to "Synergies" / overlap in jobs from their buyout of Nokia.

I can see this happening with DirecTV and AT&T getting together.

Of course it's gonna happen.  Happens every time.  We called it "getting rid of dead wood".  I'll bet there's a lot of folks walking around D* with clenched sphincter muscles.  The bigger company always leans towards the people they know best.

Rich

#890 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:31 AM

Update: AT&T and DirecTV Merger Passes Brazil Antitrust Regulators

(Latinpost.com) - AT&T and DirecTV's proposed merger has gained significant steam, the company said during its second quarter earnings call.

The deal has passed cleanly through antitrust regulators in Brazil and reviewing committees in three U.S. states, AT&T CFO John Stephens said to investors and analysts Wednesday....

at-t.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#891 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Update: The FCC wants to hear what you think about AT&T buying DirecTV

(WashingtonPost.com) - The Federal Communications Commission has begun taking public comments as part of its consideration of the AT&T-DirecTV merger, a $49 billion affair that would combine the nation's biggest satellite TV provider with its second-biggest wireless carrier....

dtv.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#892 OFFLINE   Mikej0530

Mikej0530

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:11 PM

I do not like AT&T at all. I left Directv because of this possible merger. The only thing this can do is lead to higher prices. AT&T will find away to mess what makes directv great.

#893 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Wow really? Prices and their increases for TV really aren't going to change even with this merger and if anything be a bit slower to rise due to bundling.

#894 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I do not like AT&T at all. I left Directv because of this possible merger. The only thing this can do is lead to higher prices. AT&T will find away to mess what makes directv great.

wow you left even through the merger is still a year out and FCC still has to approve it
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#895 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,258 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

wow you left even through the merger is still a year out and FCC still has to approve it

WOW, talking about "jumping the gun" at least I still have a year or two to find me another job if this goes through 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#896 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,482 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

That just shows how much he hates AT&T :)

I don't know if I'm missing something, but what does the merger have to do with RFD-TV? I have to say I'm impressed with the Rural lobby. Almost every comment I click on is about keeping RFD-TV on DirecTV. But most don't mention the merger as causing the channel to be at risk. I'm not sure it's the same as Comcast dropping it, I'm not sure how common cable is to the farming community compared to satellite.

#897 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

As soon as the merger is approved by the two gubmint agencies, the scavenging will begin in earnest. You know that AT&T has all sorts of plans on what they're going to do with all that money DIRECTV has been printing (21% profit) in the US market.

The year to get it done was offered up as an estimate; it could happen sooner or it could happen later.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#898 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,171 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:34 PM

As soon as the merger is approved by the two gubmint agencies, the scavenging will begin in earnest. You know that AT&T has all sorts of plans on what they're going to do with all that money DIRECTV has been printing (21% profit) in the US market.

The year to get it done was offered up as an estimate; it could happen sooner or it could happen later.

You do know Att has more money than they even seem to know what to do with even without this merger. This merger isn't about gaining a little more profit from a new subsidiary.

#899 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:22 PM

I don't know if I'm missing something, but what does the merger have to do with RFD-TV? I have to say I'm impressed with the Rural lobby. Almost every comment I click on is about keeping RFD-TV on DirecTV. But most don't mention the merger as causing the channel to be at risk. I'm not sure it's the same as Comcast dropping it, I'm not sure how common cable is to the farming community compared to satellite.

If you go to the RFD-TV website, they are actively soliciting their viewers to comment on the merger.  They have direct links to the Comcast and the ATT mergers.  

#900 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

i swapped to AT&T 3 years ago because Verizon would not pickup at my house and I have had nothing but good things to say about them
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...