Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
917 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:28 AM

I think you are basing this on outdated information.  Depending on where you live http://www.att.com/a...igapowercities/, if you can get the new Uverse with GigaPower, I don't think you would have those limitations.  And you get speeds up to 300 Mbps now  for $70/mo and upgraded for free to 1 Gbps later this year, sounds good to me. http://www.att.com/s...bid=nn79y86WJb5

If you consider a live person on the phone yesterday and the information on their website "outdated information" then sure.

http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html  Then go to the FAQ's at the bottom and select "How many wireless devices can be connected at the same time?" and you'll see " You can connect up to 10 devices total with any combination of wired or wireless devices, for example, 4 wired plus 6 wireless devices, 2 wired plus 8 wireless, etc."

There's no "GigaPower" listed on their site.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,727 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:51 AM

That was my question to them yesterday as I looked to kick Comcast to the curb.  They had no answer, lied to me about Wireless G being "the fastest available", etc.  Needless to say I decided to put up with Comcast being down for 1 more day.

I can almost see where they are coming from with that. In closer to real world speeds, G would do about 20 mbps, which would cover most of their speed tiers except the fastest. G is theoretically 54 mbps, but we all know that's unrealistic. There's a point where increases in wifi speeds only helps in internal traffic.

But personally I don't trust ISP provided equipment, generally not compatible with dd-wrt.

• damondlt likes this

#103 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

If you consider a live person on the phone yesterday and the information on their website "outdated information" then sure.

http://www.att.com/shop/internet.html  Then go to the FAQ's at the bottom and select "How many wireless devices can be connected at the same time?" and you'll see " You can connect up to 10 devices total with any combination of wired or wireless devices, for example, 4 wired plus 6 wireless devices, 2 wired plus 8 wireless, etc."

You can use any router you want, so you are not limited to 10 devices or G wireless. Those stats are if you use AT&T's provided gateway.

Also, Gigapower is in very, very limited availability in Austin, TX. It has been announced for other cities but hasn't actually been rolled out in those other cities yet.

• damondlt likes this

#104 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

No objection.
But Att wireless as been nothing but fantastic. Their customer service is Number 1 IMO.
I started out with 3 lines 2GB data paying $228 per month. And 8 months later I pay $180 total for 4 lines and and 10 GB data.

ATT knows how to run a business.
I delt with Verizon for 15 years and they can take their service and drop off the face of the earth.
Sent from my Galaxy S5

I hear consumer complaints about ATT wireless all the time but I have had no problems with them for years. Unlike verizon, ATT has allowed me to stay on my grandfathered unlimited data plan through several phones and even a switch to LTE.

I have verizon wireless for data as well as ATT. My speeds are always faster on ATT. And customer service has been very good. Verizon (both wireless and fios) not so much.

ATT used to have a bandwidth issue in the DC area years ago and I think people are still burned by that and are stick in their thinking.
  • damondlt likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#105 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,099 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

They have probably improved a lot since then right?

I guess with UVerse they would have more multiple points of failure then DTV would? I still would be afraid while watching one of my favorite shows during heavy downpours and snow then HD goes out longer than SD does. However with UVerse it could go down even in good weather and for longer periods of time. With DTV even with HD weather outages it would be back up in ten mins.

I don't know & don't care.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#106 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

You can use any router you want, so you are not limited to 10 devices or G wireless. Those stats are if you use AT&T's provided gateway.

Not according to them though.  This just proves my point that their support is HORRIBLE and should I have to deal with them after a DirecTV merger/acquisition I'll no longer be a DirecTV customer.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#107 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

Not according to them though.  This just proves my point that their support is HORRIBLE and should I have to deal with them after a DirecTV merger/acquisition I'll no longer be a DirecTV customer.

As if Directv CSRs don't provide wrong answers all the time? There have been two posters in the last couple weeks who were told that if they upgraded to a Genie they'd need to trade in their other DVRs/receivers for clients, as just one (of many) examples. That's a lot worse than your AT&T example of "HORRIBLE" support!

There are very few companies I would say provide good customer service, and Directv is most certainly not among them.

Edited by slice1900, 02 May 2014 - 11:04 AM.

• damondlt and sigma1914 like this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#108 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:34 AM

http://www.att.com/s...er-details.html

#109 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

As if Directv CSRs don't provide wrong answers all the time? There have been two posters in the last couple weeks who were told that if they upgraded to a Genie they'd need to trade in their other DVRs/receivers for clients, as just one (of many) examples. That's a lot worse than your AT&T example of "HORRIBLE" support!

There are very few companies I would say provide good customer service, and Directv is most certainly not among them.

I never said they don't.  It's not worse at all.  My example would keep new customers from going to AT&T, as it did me, your example wouldn't keep customers from coming to DirecTV because they are already there. 

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#110 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:56 PM

Yeah, I guess just no "GigaPower" in my area.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#111 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

Well said. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S5

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#112 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

how can they limit to 10 devices? if you only need one public IP address and your router handles your LAN.

If they're providing the gateway, they could theoretically limit the size of the DHCP table to 10 devices and disable static addressing entirely. Such is not to say that is what's going on, but this is one way they could do it.

why would they care?

Terms of service? You get a bunch of devices using the connection for streaming or remote desktop/VNC and things get can get dicey where the network is built on serving up short http downloads. Using VPN can have some serious overhead as well.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#113 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

My personal experience with directv customer service has been very good but examples of bad service exist. I'd say directv has good CS but only because CS in this country has become generally horrible.

BTW. When I got my genie, I was told that the standard package is to trade in all and out in minis. No one said I "had to" but the wording from the CSR could sound like "had to" because they were defaulting to a standard configuration. I just said I didn't want minis and the CSR just had to type a few things and off we went.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#114 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 742 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:16 AM

If they're providing the gateway, they could theoretically limit the size of the DHCP table to 10 devices and disable static addressing entirely. Such is not to say that is what's going on, but this is one way they could do it.
Terms of service? You get a bunch of devices using the connection for streaming or remote desktop/VNC and things get can get dicey where the network is built on serving up short http downloads. Using VPN can have some serious overhead as well

AT&T stopped providing static IP's for DSL customers 2 years ago. Had that confirmed by AT&T's customer service and an AT&T engineer.

Also, it's rather easy to set up your own wireless router. All you have to do is connect it to one of the free ports on AT&T's router. Been there, done that with clients many times.

HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#115 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:51 PM

What if this also changes DTV's mind about officially supporting a customers LAN? Then that would be easier on an installer when installing the Genie and RVU products. An installer would also not need to use Deca's or the wireless CCK's. They could just connect to the Ethernet outlets or UVerse's WIFI Gateway.

#116 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,276 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

What if this also changes DTV's mind about officially supporting a customers LAN? 

never going to happen 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#117 OFFLINE   Jonnylotto

Jonnylotto

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

I'm getting really sick of AT&T following me around like a frackin' T-1000. I started with Cellular One. Pacific Bell. and so on.

#118 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,951 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:36 PM

I'd be more concerned with men in black, black helicopters, and The TSA. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#119 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:12 AM

Uverse has wireless N gateway/routers

I'm not limited to 10 devices on any of the routers I've had from At&t

The 10 device limit may be from hotspots, but I don't think it has anything to do with Uverse

#120 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,611 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:35 AM

Prism will be hitting our area soon.  At least Prism has EWTN HD

spam firewall