Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
1021 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:52 AM

Either this is publicity pressure because of a possible Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger,  Or Directv is looking at the internet and or mobile side of things perhaps VOD streaming,   Either way it doesn't look good for consumers in terms of pricing and service.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:31 AM

Either this is publicity pressure because of a possible Comcast/Time Warner Cable merger,  Or Directv is looking at the internet and or mobile side of things perhaps VOD streaming,   Either way it doesn't look good for consumers in terms of pricing and service.

The story is "AT&T has approached DirecTV about a possible acquisition of the satellite TV firm" - not DirecTV looking at AT&T. If DirecTV sold it would be for AT&T's purposes, not DirecTV's.

DirecTV seems to have an open door policy for discussing mergers and buyouts ... which makes sense to protect their investors and give the investors the best deal possible. I have not seen a rumored offer yet that would be good for DirecTV customers - status quo would be the best outcome of any of the mergers and acquisition rumors I've seen.

How many owners has DirecTV had over the years? A different owner would not surprise me. AT&T being that owner would - especially with the government approvals required.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#123 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:28 AM

Has U-Verse improved their HD quality?  I have always heard that their HD quality is not near what D*'s HD quality is/was. 

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#124 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

The 10 device limit may be from hotspots, but I don't think it has anything to do with Uverse

this makes perfect sense.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#125 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Has U-Verse improved their HD quality?  I have always heard that their HD quality is not near what D*'s HD quality is/was. 

No, and it won't matter if they buy DirecTV.

• damondlt likes this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#126 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:13 PM

AT&T stopped providing static IP's for DSL customers 2 years ago. Had that confirmed by AT&T's customer service and an AT&T engineer.

Perhaps not obviously, the question was how they could limit your LAN to 10 devices. AT&T's static Internet IP address policy has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Also, it's rather easy to set up your own wireless router. All you have to do is connect it to one of the free ports on AT&T's router. Been there, done that with clients many times.

Indeed it is but that's well beyond the desire of many and something that they wouldn't bother to figure out.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#127 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

DirecTV seems to have an open door policy for discussing mergers and buyouts ... which makes sense to protect their investors and give the investors the best deal possible.

Not only does DIRECTV (DirecTV is no longer their official trademark since shortly after DISH changed their's to DISH Network) seem to be willing to talk to anyone, but their stock buyback practices make it a very easy acquisition target. Compare this to DISH where Charlie controls a majority of the votes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#128 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

never going to happen

Never is a very, very long time. The same was said at one time about HomePlug solutions and the Linksys gaming adapter.

At some point, broadband is probably going to get broader than MoCA will support.

Of course by that time, DBS will likely be marginalized to those who have weak (or no) broadband connections.

#129 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,203 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:39 PM

What if this also changes DTV's mind about officially supporting a customers LAN? Then that would be easier on an installer when installing the Genie and RVU products. An installer would also not need to use Deca's or the wireless CCK's. They could just connect to the Ethernet outlets or UVerse's WIFI Gateway.

That would be harder not easier.

#130 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:41 PM

Never is a very, very long time. The same was said at one time about HomePlug solutions and the Linksys gaming adapter.

and what was the results??? they were removed... So....

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#131 OFFLINE   dsexton

dsexton

Mentor

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

I have ATT UVerse for internet in Austin.  They say Gigapower is coming, but they can't say when, and where is questionable.  I am limited to 18 mbps up and 1.5 down due to distance from their equipment until they provide Gigapower to my neighborhood.  I have been stuck with their horrible Gateway since the install about 3 years ago when I replaced my ATT DSL.  Their Gateway only provides Wireless G and the range is very limited within the house.  Yes, you can use your own router but they don't support it, won't set it up that way when they install, and know nothing about it.  It took me weeks online to figure out how to use my own router.  Their Gateway has no true bridge mode so there are always some issues with using your own router.  Because of being forced to use a router behind their Gateway, setting up any external incoming connections is very difficult (GenieGO).  Most of the problems with setting up GenieGO result from having a router behind a Gateway.   

After UVerse install, my wireless would go down almost daily.  This went on for months, despite multiple calls to ATT, who denied the issue was theirs.  After they rolled out a firmware update, the issue went away.  They never did admit it was their problem.  I have checked on replacing their Gateway with my own modem, not an option.  I have been bugging them to upgrade their Gateway since the install, they could care less.

I have been with DTV since 1995 and have been very happy most of the time.  If ATT buys them, I won't let the door hit me in the butt on the way out.

#132 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

ATT buys them, I won't let the door hit me in the butt on the way out.

Where you going?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#133 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:50 PM

I am surprised how many people will leave as soon as something like this happens.  I would wait and see what happens first.  First off, the technology you are using will not change.  I could see upgrades slowing down but it would be years before that impacts subscribers.  I would expect technical support to stay the same as you need people trained in DirecTV systems to support it.  Billing could go down the tubes as that would be an easy area to consolidate but how often do you interact with the billing department?  I will not be going anywhere, I will just continue evaluating the options every couple years.  I know that so far Dish is competitive with but not noticeably better than DirecTV

My Setup

#134 OFFLINE   Soccernut

Soccernut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

Have both DIRECTV and ATT DSL for the last 6 years, upgraded to latest receivers with no major issues DIRECTV has most channels I want in HD. ATT DSL is fast enough for my needs and I can live with $46 per month, I installed my own modem the Gateway died after a year.

The whole issue for me is does the company has what I want? Can I afford it? Satellite service is getting too expensive and they know it. If a merger makes things more expensive then I can afford I would be forced  to look for other options, like going to cheaper packages because what I can afford overrides what I want.   

#135 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

I am surprised how many people will leave as soon as something like this happens.  I would wait and see what happens first.  First off, the technology you are using will not change. 

But the company will.  and once you have been done wrong by the same company what else can I expect 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#136 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

But the company will. and once you have been done wrong by the same company what else can I expect

Except that on a corporate level, an ATT purchase doesn't mean directv becomes ATT. Depends on how it is set up. Different parts of a large company can be completely different.

I'd wait to see if the product is what I want. It is shortsighted to dump a company just because it is a certain company. If they deliver what you want for a price you want, you buy it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#137 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,945 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

I am surprised how many people will leave as soon as something like this happens.

A lot of people may claim they will, but I doubt any would switch immediately except those who were planning on switching soon anyway. They'll simply make sure they don't do anything to incur a fresh two year commitment so they can quickly leave if their worst fears are realized.

It isn't like there would be any near term impact to customers of either Directv or Uverse, and given their relative sizes, it is more likely the AT&T customers would see changes before the Directv customers did. Uverse would become a new wired TV arm of Directv.

It would take several years before Directv customers saw any major changes from it, for better or worse.

• damondlt and sigma1914 like this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#138 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

No, and it won't matter if they buy DirecTV.

As someone who has had each for an extended period of time, I have to say that this answer isn't entirely true.  Now, is the HD quality as good as DirecTV's? No, it isn't quite to that level yet.  Is it a noticeable difference 90% of the time watching on my 60" plasma from about 10 feet away? Absolutely not.  The only time I ever notice is on really dark fast moving actions scenes....where there is really a lot going on.  It tends to get blocky at times when that happens.  For instance, I noticed it a few times in Man of Steel.  

I also had U-verse several years back right after it launched.  Since that time, AT&T has improved their compression schemes dramatically. In fact, I'd say they've improved their compression schemes significantly just within the last year.  it no longer has that all the time soft feel that it did when it first came out.  Generally it is a very nice and crisp picture these days.  i wouldn't put up with it if it wasn't.

As for the other part, i would agree that buying DirecTV probably wouldn't have any affect on U-verse at all.  Two very different technologies and unlikely to be combined in any way anytime soon.

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

#139 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:53 AM

I disagree and have had both going on about 2 years now, side by side. I can always tell which is which, especially with sports. There's a noticeable lack of crispness on graphics and tickers. There's less details on a lot, too.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#140 OFFLINE   Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth

Icon

• Administrators
  • 564 posts
  • LocationAlabaster, AL

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

I disagree and have had both going on about 2 years now, side by side. I can always tell which is which, especially with sports. There's a noticeable lack of crispness on graphics and tickers. There's less details on a lot, too.

Maybe where you live.  Not where I live. At my house, that statement is simply not true.

Why on earth would you have both TV services in your house side by side for 2 years anyway?

DBSTalk Site Administrator

U-Verse U450 w/Whole Home DVR

Cisco ISB7500 (upgraded to 1TB) >> 32" LG LCD
Cisco ISB7000 >> 60" LG Plasma
Cisco IPN330HD 46" Sharp Aquos LCD
Cisco ISB7005 (Wireless) >> 42" Philips LCD
2Wire/Pace 3801HGV Gateway

LIVESTRONG_logo_small.png - 2 Time Cancer Survivor

Protected By... spam firewall...And...