Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T Agrees to Purchase DirecTV (Was: ATT looking to buy Direct TV)

• Please log in to reply
889 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

Maybe where you live.  Not where I live. Here, that statement is simply not true.

Why on earth would you have both TV services in your house side by side for 2 years anyway?

According to ATT engineers at AVS forum, the PQ is the same nationwide. Only the amount of HD streams varies, as you know.

I got a great signup deal for internet and TV and kept the lowest package after the bonuses ran out. It's not much more.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   jandar

jandar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:57 PM

If this deal went through, I would have to leave and go to Comcast.

Before AT&T bought BellSouth, my neighborhood could get 1.5Mbps DSL and Bellsouth had laid fiber along the curb in my neighborhood. After AT&T bought BellSouth, my DSL speeds went down to 768Kbps and supposedly I was not supposed to even get that. 3 years later, they managed to get 6Mbps DSL to my neighborhood. By that time, Comcast had brought 10Mbps speeds so there was no way I was going back to AT&T.

When UVerse rolled out, none of the neighborhoods in my area could get it. Years later, it's still not available. We are talking 300+ home neighborhoods, not 10-20 houses. Now if I go south for 6 miles, out into the country where houses and trailers are on 1-20 acre lots, I can get Uverse.

To this day, I still cannot get UVerse, but I can get 6Mbps DSL for 54$ a month.

Tell me again how AT&T buying DirecTV would be better? AT&T offers a bundle with Directv already, but there is no way I would leave Comcast internet to go back to those low speeds. The only benefit I can see would be bundling, but I have Sprint, way faster internet with Comcast Business Class, and DirecTV.

#143 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,482 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:27 AM

Update: Reuters: DirecTV working with advisers to weigh AT&T deal

(Reuters) - DirecTV is working with advisers including Goldman Sachs Group to evaluate a possible combination with AT&T, following a recent takeover approach from the mobile services provider, according to people familiar with the matter.

DirecTV has enlisted advisers as the satellite TV company and its board consider whether to engage in serious discussions with the telecoms giant, one of the people said on Wednesday. The exact status of the talks could not be learned....

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#144 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

We just moved into a new house in an almost completed subdivision.  The first half of the neighborhood is Uverse Copper.  The back half is Uverse FTTH.  The front half can get 24 (and maybe 45) Mbps over copper.  The back half with FTTH is stuck with a max dl speed of 18 Mbps.  Only ATT can make fiber a disadvantage to copper.   :bang  

We are rumored to be on the list for Gigapower but who knows when that will happen. 

On the plus side, even though I have only Uverse Interent, I have access to WatchESPN and Fox SportsGo through Uverse so I recently scaled back our package to Select and am very happy avoiding the ESPN tax.

#145 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:16 PM

We just moved into a new house in an almost completed subdivision.  The first half of the neighborhood is Uverse Copper.  The back half is Uverse FTTH.  The front half can get 24 (and maybe 45) Mbps over copper.  The back half with FTTH is stuck with a max dl speed of 18 Mbps.  Only ATT can make fiber a disadvantage to copper.   :bang  

We are rumored to be on the list for Gigapower but who knows when that will happen. 

On the plus side, even though I have only Uverse Interent, I have access to WatchESPN and Fox SportsGo through Uverse so I recently scaled back our package to Select and am very happy avoiding the ESPN tax.

something must not be correct on your account if you only have Uverse internet, then you shouldn't be getting watch espn or fox sportsgo

#146 OFFLINE   gt2982a

gt2982a

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

something must not be correct on your account if you only have Uverse internet, then you shouldn't be getting watch espn or fox sportsgo

When the house was being built, we did have Uverse TV at an apartment because we didn't have LOS for Directv; however, after the move we cancelled the Uverse TV and kept the internet.  Maybe that is the reason?  Or, maybe I've found a loophole. At any rate, I'm not complaining.

#147 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:32 PM

Yeah I checked because I also only have internet, was hoping something had changed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#148 OFFLINE   TAnsley

TAnsley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX, USA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

Yeah...I have Uverse for Internet only, and for the first couple of years, I got access to ESPN360, but not WatchESPN.  Seems they updated their database last year and I lost access to the web content.  Sucks!  I really want the ESPN/DTV contract to be done so they can renegotiate the terms and get us access.

TAnsley

"I never said most of the things I said." - Yogi Berra

#149 OFFLINE   CraigerM

CraigerM

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:42 PM

This maybe a dumb question but if UVerse Internet goes down can you still watch UVerse TV? Also one thing I don't like about UVerse is when the RG goes down everything goes down.

#150 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,834 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

This maybe a dumb question but if UVerse Internet goes down can you still watch UVerse TV? Also one thing I don't like about UVerse is when the RG goes down everything goes down.

I know with my Blue ridge cable, Internet can be out and you can still have cable TV, and vise versa.

And its the same Main Coax.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#151 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 02:58 PM

Several news people are saying this could happen in as little as 2 weeks.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#152 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

One of the 'two weeks' stories, http://www.marketwat...ome_latest_news

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#153 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:19 PM

From MarketWatch:

AT&T could strike deal for DirecTV in two weeks

AT&T Inc. is moving quickly to seal a takeover deal with DirecTV, with an agreement between the two communications giants as little as two weeks away, people familiar with the matter said.

The two sides are discussing a deal that AT&T would pay for using a mix of cash and its stock, the people said. AT&T would likely pay a premium to DirecTV’s share price Monday, one of the people said.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Update: I'm checking news.google.com, and all of the reports are essentially saying the same thing.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#154 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,834 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

Nice, I hope it does happen, only problem I see, what benefit would it be if ATT doesn't even serve half the country with Internet service?
Ok you can bundle your cell service, But what about internet at home?

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#155 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:53 PM

If it does happen and it changes my Directv service somehow, which I don't think it would,  It would depend what the changes would come about to consider it good or not,  If not good bye bye Directv and i'll have to eat up the ETF.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#156 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

Nothing new, but the fact that there is a "new" story out today about the two weeks thing means that they're serious this time. Every other time there's been talk about AT&T buying Dish or DirecTV, it's been one story, unofficial, about them thinking about it. Now they've actually approached DirecTV, both sides have hired advisors, and there's new leaks coming to keep the story fresh. Obviously not 100%, but I see it happening this time.

#157 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

Update: I'm checking news.google.com, and all of the reports are essentially saying the same thing.

The curse of Internet news ... a lot of copycat / syndication / circle feeding "news" outlets. Keep calm - find the source.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#158 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

It's too early to say that it's true, and too late to say that it's untrue.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#159 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Stuart Sweet the business poet. :). Very true!

#160 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

The wailing and grinding of teeth will be epic here...... 

spam firewall